Apple issues iPhoto update in preparation of Photos, security fixes for OS X Yosemite

Posted:
in macOS edited March 2015
Apple on Thursday released a trio of software updates for Mac owners, including a bug and compatibility fix for iPhoto, and twin security updates for OS X 10.10.2, matched to different hardware.

iPhoto improves migration to Photos

New in iPhoto 9.6.1 is better compatibility when migrating image libraries to Photos, the app's upcoming replacement. The new software will arrive later this spring alongside OS X 10.10.3, which is currently in beta.

The update also solves problems with Facebook albums showing just the first 25 images, and freezes triggered when printing a photo.

Users can download iPhoto 9.6.1 via the Mac App Store.

OS X Yosemite Security Updates

Two separate OS X updates are available, both under the heading of Security Update 2015-003 Yosemite. The first is intended for most Yosemite users, while a second is intended strictly for owners of 2015 Macs.

Among the listed fixes is a patch against buffer overflow protection for iCloud Keychain, as well as an update that takes care of IOSurface's handling of serialized objects.

The updates can be downloaded as standalone installers or through the Mac App Store's Updates tab.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    konqerrorkonqerror Posts: 685member
    Both of the listed issues/CVEs in this security update were supposedly fixed by the -002 update. Somebody screwed up.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

I absolutely love the new Photos, and the fact that I don't have to think about anything anymore, in terms of backup, syncing, etc. Once you release control, it's a huge weight off, and the photo philosophy makes sense. So many ways to search, and you can always manually make albums if needed- but I find the chronological concept and groupings pretty ideal. 

The ONLY think I would wish for, and it's a very easy thing, is an option to change the stark white background to a grey or black. A simple slider would do, just like iPhoto, and I'd hope they will implement that before the final. Much, much easier on the eyes and makes the photos pop more. 

• Reply 3 of 5
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,371member

I generally like Photos but I wish they made it coexist better with Aperture. I'd prefer either editor to be able to work on the same photo library.

Oh, and the upload performance is kind of an impediment. I'm still waiting for all of my 27,000+ photos to actually make it too iCloud. It's been running for a couple of weeks and is still not done, even with a very aggressive bandwidth consumption.

• Reply 4 of 5
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DewMe View Post

I generally like Photos but I wish they made it coexist better with Aperture. I'd prefer either editor to be able to work on the same photo library.

Oh, and the upload performance is kind of an impediment. I'm still waiting for all of my 27,000+ photos to actually make it too iCloud. It's been running for a couple of weeks and is still not done, even with a very aggressive bandwidth consumption.

That's still the biggest pain point for this concept, consumer upload speeds, which tend to be utter shit. It's a horrible experience when your library needs days or weeks to upload, even though thats not really Apple's fault. 

• Reply 5 of 5
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    slurpy wrote: »
    I absolutely love the new Photos, and the fact that I don't have to think about anything anymore, in terms of backup, syncing, etc. Once you release control, it's a huge weight off, and the photo philosophy makes sense. So many ways to search, and you can always manually make albums if needed- but I find the chronological concept and groupings pretty ideal. 

The ONLY think I would wish for, and it's a very easy thing, is an option to change the stark white background to a grey or black. A simple slider would do, just like iPhoto, and I'd hope they will implement that before the final. Much, much easier on the eyes and makes the photos pop more. 

I agree on stark white. That has to be added ASAP for sure. Preferences should simply have a few preset options of stages of gray through black at the very least. That said at least EDIT mode is black background.