Amazon given green light for U.S. drone tests, inches toward 'Prime Air' delivery

Posted:
in General Discussion edited March 2015
The Federal Aviation Administration on Thursday granted Amazon permission to conduct experimental unmanned aircraft operations in U.S. airspace, marking a significant step forward in the company's plans to roll out a drone delivery service.

Called an "experimental airworthiness certificate," Amazon's freshly inked permit will let it fly unmanned aircraft systems outside for research and development purposes. Experimental certificates are usually provided to manufacturers and technology developers that do not have a so-called type certificates, the FAA said.

Stipulations apply a hefty number of restrictions on Amazon's R&D department, including a hard ceiling of 400 feet, flight only during daylight hours and line-of-sight operation. In addition, each pilot must have a pilot's certificate and medical certification, while the company has to issue monthly reports to the FAA.

The rules are similar to those proposed by the FAA in February, which look to set boundaries on private drone use. If Amazon is to get its project off the ground, it would need a relaxation of these limitations or special consideration from the governmental body.

Dubbed "Prime Air," Amazon's concept was first unveiled in a 2013 video that demonstrated how unmanned drones could one day be used to deliver packages directly from Amazon's warehouses to customers' doorsteps. Interestingly, the short film was shot outside the U.S. due to strict FAA regulations.

As Amazon works through early stage UAS research, it continues to take strides in making the online shopping experience more appealing for end users. Earlier today, the Internet retail giant expanded one-hour delivery services to Prime members living in Baltimore and Miami.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 85
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

The FAA is a regulatory mess.

• Reply 2 of 85
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member

Now, here's something I might be willing to march in protest of...

One of the more egregious proposals for accelerating the uglification of the world

since the aborted suggestion of floating geosynchronous "mega-billboards"

some years back.

• Reply 3 of 85
    ecatsecats Posts: 272member
    You can't lobby birds and thievery away.
  • Reply 4 of 85
    morbomorbo Posts: 7member
    Ron Swanson is waiting, locked & loaded.
  • Reply 5 of 85
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Amazon's convoluted marketing.

'Son, what's this Amazon PrimeAir thing?' Let me try to explain in less than 1,000 words.
  • Reply 6 of 85
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

I'm not one for guns, am for sane gun control, but I would be completely onboard with people shooting these down. 

• Reply 7 of 85
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

I'm not one for guns, am for sane gun control, but I would be completely onboard with people shooting these down. 

Hahaha!!!

• Reply 8 of 85
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    slurpy wrote: »
    So drones used by several Apple owners here (I think Digitalclips might be one) should not stray over your neighborhood then? :smokey:
  • Reply 9 of 85
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    Quote:

i'm so on board with this. don't give a shit if apple people—or even apple—use them.

• Reply 10 of 85
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    Not going to happen any time soon... Too many issues with drones whizzing around over our citie's airspace!
    Maybe .. Maybe in very rural places !
  • Reply 11 of 85
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

So drones used by several Apple owners here (I think Digitalclips might be one) should not stray over your neighborhood then? image

I'd shoot it if it flies in my airspace. If it flies above my airspace, it's another matter entirely. I'd call my representative then.

It raises the question: in your place of dwelling, what's your airspace, and what's the height limit over which it is "public airspace" :)

It's actually been bothering me with every Ai article, how come super-secretive Apple cannot shoot Ai's drones down with an EM pulse or a gun (or small iMissiles!), surely showing so much information is a security risk?

• Reply 12 of 85
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,372member

This is living and spinning battery operated proof that just because something CAN be done doesn't mean it SHOULD be done.

If I'm living out in a rural area, man this thing is just too damn tempting to engage....

Pull! 

Quad Fail. 

12 ga. #8 birdshot 1, Amazon drone 0.

It's like a game with the prize being whatever is in the box.

• Reply 13 of 85
    Quote:

Yep.

The future for drones is non-existent in a commercial sense. 

Bezos should be lashed severely for even trying to promote the use of them.

• Reply 14 of 85
    prolineproline Posts: 222member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

It raises the question: in your place of dwelling, what's your airspace, and what's the height limit over which it is "public airspace" :)

It's actually been bothering me with every Ai article, how come super-secretive Apple cannot shoot Ai's drones down with an EM pulse or a gun (or small iMissiles!), surely showing so much information is a security risk?

Well, the rule for actual airplanes is that they generally need to be 1,000' (~300m) above the nearest structure within 2,000' of them, unless flying below that is necessary to their mission (take-off and landing, crop dusting, arial photography, etc.). Now in the case of drones it seems to be a free-for-all right now. I could see the benefit of having space reserved for them below a certain altitude so as to prevent them from interacting with manned aircraft, but there is also a need for an altitude minimum for noise abatement, privacy, and more importantly safety (collision risk). Perhaps in the future they will be confined to the 500-1000' area...

• Reply 15 of 85
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member

Given how much stuff I order from Amazon, and given that I'm already a Prime member and have been one for years, I'd be all for this if it makes a real difference in delivery time.  If, for example, delivery goes from 2 days to something like 6 hours then I would be a happy camper.

• Reply 16 of 85
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

What percent of Amazon deliveries are even drone deliverable? Since the drones can't be very far from the dispatch center anyway, why not hire some college kids on bicycles instead? Whatever saves a few bucks is what they will do I guess. Isn't a professional drone pilot going to earn more than double what you would pay a bicyclist. Plus a bicyclist can deliver 100% of the small to medium size packages.

• Reply 17 of 85
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

What percent of Amazon deliveries are even drone deliverable? Since the drones can't be very far from the dispatch center anyway, why not hire some college kids on bicycles instead? Whatever saves a few bucks is what they will do I guess.

I've always had the impression that if the drone delivery were OK'ed by the FAA that Amazon would expand the number of distribution centers.  I mean, according to the last census, approximately 80% of Americans live in cities.  So, if you cover something like the top 20 cities, you're able to reach a huge portion of the population.

• Reply 18 of 85
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

I've always had the impression that if the drone delivery were OK'ed by the FAA that Amazon would expand the number of distribution centers.  I mean, according to the last census, approximately 80% of Americans live in cities.  So, if you cover something like the top 20 cities, you're able to reach a huge portion of the population.

True but cities are full of apartment buildings. How can a drone deliver to an apartment?

• Reply 19 of 85
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Since the drones can't be very far from the dispatch center anyway, why not hire some college kids on bicycles instead? 

I rode a bicycle in college and there's no way I would have hired myself to make package deliveries.

"I'll just swing my the pub first, see if anyone's around. It's happy hour..."

:D

• Reply 20 of 85
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

... unmanned drones could one day be used to deliver packages directly from Amazon's warehouses to customers' doorsteps.

How about delivering me a Chipotle burrito.  Right to my hand, in 15 minutes.

And I'd pay for it with my ?Watch.