Apple TV app lineup expands with TED, Tastemade, Young Hollywood

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited March 2015
Amid reports of a major hardware and software refresh coming later this year, Apple on Tuesday added three more app channels to the current-generation Apple TV: TED, Tastemade, and Young Hollywood.

The TED app brings that online network's 1,900-plus lectures and performances to the Apple TV. The interface is divided into front page, Talks, and playlist sections, the latter two of which let viewers browse by category, or collections under different themes, such as Black History Month, languages, or aging. The front page offers access to trending videos and random playback options such as "Funny" or "Jaw-Dropping."

The app also lets users sign in with an existing TED account, such as one created for the TED iOS app. This enables syncing a Watch List across devices, and a personalized "lean back" mode where a new video or playlist will queue up automatically once the last one is finished.

Tastemade gathers together food and cooking videos, but with a special emphasis on the culinary scenes in different cities. Young Hollywood is a music, celebrity, and lifestyle channel with some original shows, such as Amp'd Up. The app's interface lets users browse by show, performer, or genre, the last group including categories such as TV/film, music, sports, and fashion.

Apple is rumored to be working on a full-fledged subscription TV service that may debut this fall. An overhauled Apple TV with an App Store and Siri could be shown at this year's Worldwide Developers Conference in June.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Imagine a subscription service that gave you access to everything on iTunes! Every iOS app, every Mac app, every in-app purchase, magazine subscription, song, TV programme, film, book, audiobook and podcast.

BOOM.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    xixoxixo Posts: 450member
    Imagine a subscription service that gave you access to everything on iTunes! Every iOS app, every Mac app, every in-app purchase, magazine subscription, song, TV programme, film, book, audiobook and podcast.

BOOM.

Even better, a service that also aggregates the myriad free web based video/feeds (TED, edx, etc) into an enhanced CATV-like interface that isn't Comcastic, but more Siri-fied.

So now, I have 200 channels of stuff again, some traditional, some not, that I can search and schedule in a practical fashion, for a fraction of the cost of traditional cable.

KABOOM (sound of cords being cut en masse)
  • Reply 3 of 10
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

BOOM.

And the cost?

Seems like it would take a million lawyers a million years to negotiate all the rights to 

even come close to realizing this.  

So you'd still have the issue of tailoring, and it might just be stupendously complicated, instead of streamlined,

to be cost-effective.

• Reply 4 of 10
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,033member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

BOOM.

This scenario is unlikely to occur in our lifetimes. After all, Apple would need to negotiate rental agreements with hundreds of thousands of individual/independent content providers.

Apple's biggest challenge is broadcasting live events, particularly sports due to complicated broadcast rights issues.

It's not important for Apple to get every last indie band or self-published author in an content subscription deal. They need to focus on the heavyweights: major sports leagues, the Olympic Games, World Cup soccer, stuff like that.

• Reply 5 of 10
    zroger73zroger73 Posts: 787member

All these channel additions are truly becoming unruly with the current UI. Apple really needs to do something about this before continuing to add even more channels. The really useful ones are getting lost in a frequently-increasing sea of unusable or "junk" channels. It's annoying to have to hide new additions so frequently - especially when you have multiple Apple TVs.

• Reply 6 of 10
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    This is starting to get closer to my Apple YouTube-alternative idea. Basically a service without all the crap/spam.

BOOM.

I've thought of a similar idea and mentioned it here before(check old comments).

I wanna see a Netlix like Apple service with movies, shows, music, books etc.

I was thinking something like $40-80 a month depending on how much content is available.

Now if Apple threw in the entire store I can imagine it being a licensing nightmare with a huge price tag. Maybe $300-1000+ a month
  • Reply 7 of 10
    bugsnwbugsnw Posts: 717member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by zroger73 View Post

All these channel additions are truly becoming unruly with the current UI. Apple really needs to do something about this before continuing to add even more channels. The really useful ones are getting lost in a frequently-increasing sea of unusable or "junk" channels. It's annoying to have to hide new additions so frequently - especially when you have multiple Apple TVs.

Amen. And Apple, please use every inch of available space on our TVs for reviews, show summaries, anywhere where there's a lot of text. Don't cram it all at the top at an 8 pt font size and expect anyone to be able to read it.

Make it beautiful but pay attention to reading clarity. And don't make me get up out of my comfy chair to go enter in some code from the tv to my computer.

• Reply 8 of 10
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,305member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cali View Post

This is starting to get closer to my Apple YouTube-alternative idea. Basically a service without all the crap/spam.

I've thought of a similar idea and mentioned it here before(check old comments).

I wanna see a Netlix like Apple service with movies, shows, music, books etc.

I was thinking something like $40-80 a month depending on how much content is available.

Now if Apple threw in the entire store I can imagine it being a licensing nightmare with a huge price tag. Maybe $300-1000+ a month

I cut the cord not so I could then turn around and start paying Apple $40-$80 per month.  Are you crazy??  i already think SlingTV is to much at $20 and should cost more like $9.99.   I'm not going to pay the $20, and $80 is just laughable.    I stopped paying a bunch of money for TV.  There's so many other things you can be doing.  Gaming, Going outside, Seeing friends in person and talking to them instead of just texting.  Reading a book.  Home Repairs or Gardening.    Some of you are just crazy.  $40-$80 and I'll tell you right now it will FAIL!!!  Might as well just sign back up to Cable TV service if you like to keep being bent over like that.

• Reply 9 of 10
    stourquestourque Posts: 364member

BOOM.

It would only cost one million dollars!
  • Reply 10 of 10
    cgs268cgs268 Posts: 55member
    fluff!
    Straight to "Hide".
    Come on! Bring on the real content.