Apple TV adds CNNgo for live and on-demand news video

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited March 2015
Apple on Wednesday silently updated the Apple TV with another app channel, CNNgo, to provide users with live and on-demand video from the news network.

As with the CNNgo website and iPhone and iPad apps, live video is gated behind a cable or satellite subscription. Some authentication options include Cox, Dish, DirecTV, AT&T U-verse, and Verizon FiOS. All viewers should be able to access on-demand video via Apple TV.

The app's interface is divided into Featured, Live TV, Shows, and Must See sections. Some unique features in each area include a programming schedule under Live TV, and categories, such as politics and top news, under Must See.

Just yesterday, the Apple TV was updated with channels for TED, Tastemade, and Young Hollywood. In the past two years, Apple has dramatically accelerated the pace with which channels are added.

The push could be connected to Apple's rumored subscription TV service which is said to launch this fall. The company is also believed to be working on new Apple TV hardware, with Siri, a faster processor, and more storage, the latter needed because of a future App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    It is starting to happen, one by one Apple is gaining significant content that people will want to watch.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    "...gated behind a cable or satellite subscription." Delete.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    kent909kent909 Posts: 731member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by scampercom View Post

"%u2026gated behind a cable or satellite subscription." Delete.

It starts to get interesting now. If all these channels that are offered on the Apple TV that are accessible only via a cable or sat subscription, open up when you switch to the upcoming Apple subscription, that will be pulling the rug out from underneath cable and sat companies. However, I still have to say that the vast majority of the channels currently offered on Apple TV, Roku or the like are of absolutely no interest to me regardless of price.

• Reply 4 of 18
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    When will Apple TV have some sort of Keychain system? The Apple TV should just 'know' if a user has a cable provider once the data is added a single time. Enough with this having to go to web sites and typing in codes for every damn channel. That said, if CNNGo requires a subscription from elsewhere forget it. This is 2015 get with the program CNN we want to cut the cable..
  • Reply 5 of 18
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    scampercom wrote: »

Agreed.
  • Reply 6 of 18
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kent909 View Post

It starts to get interesting now. If all these channels that are offered on the Apple TV that are accessible only via a cable or sat subscription, open up when you switch to the upcoming Apple subscription, that will be pulling the rug out from underneath cable and sat companies. However, I still have to say that the vast majority of the channels currently offered on Apple TV, Roku or the like are of absolutely no interest to me regardless of price.

You're right, and I strongly suspect Tim Cook knows this based on his comments about watching TV being like going back in time. These "channels" are archaic and actually serve no current purpose other than the source of the content. A "CNN" channel only makes sense when you already know that is a news channel. But who cares if your favorite drama is on ABC, NBC, or whatever? For years content like this is searchable on iTunes. That's what people want, and they will actually pay for it. (Remember the good old days of Napster?)

Sports channels make sense, but only to the extent you already know what they are. NFL, MLB, HNL and NBA are recognizable (as now is ESPN.)

TL;DR: people will pay for specific content, not "channels."

• Reply 7 of 18
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

I don’t understand the point of any of this. You have to have a cable or satellite subscription in order to activate. I am a Charter Cable subscriber and Charter doesn’t support ANY of these channels, not a one. They have their own “mobile” scheme that is very limited in scope and support. They don’t seem to get it. They are DOOMED when Internet subscriptions take off. Trying to bury their heads in the sand won’t save them.

These new channels are useless to me because of the cable company I do business with.

• Reply 8 of 18
    I really don't like how many of these partners name their channels like apps. Why is it "CNN go" instead of just a bold CNN logo for the channel? Just like ABC and Disney. Why do they "watch" at the top? It really detracts from the experience for me.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    "...gated behind a cable or satellite subscription."

For crying out loud, it's effin NEWS! You shouldn't have to PAY for that!!
  • Reply 10 of 18
    Why does the dumb sub-heading say "users" when it should say "Cable subscribers"
  • Reply 11 of 18
    lymflymf Posts: 65member
    I'd love to have cbs... There is already cbs news and cbs has a cable free subscription, so I'm just wondering when it'll come to the Apple TV...
  • Reply 12 of 18
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

When will Apple TV have some sort of Keychain system? The Apple TV should just 'know' if a user has a cable provider once the data is added a single time. Enough with this having to go to web sites and typing in codes for every damn channel. That said, if CNNGo requires a subscription from elsewhere forget it. This is 2015 get with the program CNN we want to cut the cable..

Agree 1000000%

• Reply 13 of 18

I agree with the statements about needing a cable subscription.  But I can't help to wonder if this is just a step in the right direction.  Once Apple releases their solution maybe this app updates to accommodate.  Come on people you can't expect CNN or any other content provider to just give away their content...

• Reply 14 of 18
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    deegee48 wrote: »
    "...gated behind a cable or satellite subscription."

For crying out loud, it's effin NEWS! You shouldn't have to PAY for that!!

CNN is no more "news" than MTv is "news".
  • Reply 15 of 18
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I agree with the statements about needing a cable subscription.  But I can't help to wonder if this is just a step in the right direction.  Once Apple releases their solution maybe this app updates to accommodate.  Come on people you can't expect CNN or any other content provider to just give away their content...

Of course. They are all businesses stuck between old and new business models.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by scampercom View Post

Yep, same here as a Cable cutter, this doesn't at all get me to sign up again.  Not in the least.  Besides, it's the Clinton News Network. Not that it changes anything.  All these new worthless channels I have to keep deleting every time I go to use my AppleTV, which right now isn't very often.  That's because there is no App store and as a Cable Cutter, I'm using PLEX just about everyday.  I just use PLEX on my ROKU's or Xbox's then having to deal with using PLEX on my iPad and Airplaying to the AppleTV which just seams silly to do.  

I've been saying for quite some time that AppleTV need's it's own App store.   Right now Apple is just been adding a bunch of crap I can't use and would have never downloaded from a App store if it existed.  Making me delete it all doesn't make me happy.   I'm not asked if I want it, it just shows up as a unwelcome guest.   On the Xbox when there's new Channels, they don't just show up adding to the clutter.  I download them if I want them.   How about when a New one comes up, when you go to use your AppleTV and it says it's been updated, do you want CNNGO With a simple Yes/No question to pick.  Click Left is Yes, Click Right is No. Simple and easy.   Don't force all this garbage on me as it's worthless.   Is that really to much to ask?

• Reply 17 of 18
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kent909 View Post

Well it could be like HBO.  There's HBO Go and HBO Now.  One you can use with a Cable or Satellite subscription, the other you sign up directly.  I'm not going to start paying Apple $30-$50 for some Apple TV service.  That's no solution and not going to get Cable cutters like myself to start paying for TV like that once again.   I already think SlingTV at $20 is to much and shouldn't be more then $9.99.    I'll continue to get most of my TV from a Antenna.   Great HD picture and 5.1 Surround and Legally FREE and uses zero Internet Data.  With a low cost Netflix subscription you can see a lot.  I can use PlayOn which also allows be to stream many of these channels Web site programs onto my iPad or HDTV's, instead of computer only.  In fact I can do that with free HULU using PlayOn.    A few Season passes for shows I can no longer get is a drop in the bucket in savings.  I'm not s huge sports person, which then SlingTV may work for you because of ESPN and ESPN2 which covers Monday Night Football and TBS which has Baseball.    Less TV can be a good thing!!!  

• Reply 18 of 18
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lymf View Post

I'd love to have cbs... There is already cbs news and cbs has a cable free subscription, so I'm just wondering when it'll come to the Apple TV...

Or with a Antenna, you can get CBS for FREE.  They used to have most of their old shows available for streaming from their web page for FREE, and I could use PlayOn to stream all that to my HDTV.  Now with their new Paid service, they cut it down to 3 Episodes I guess for free and everything else you now have to pay for.  No thanks.  Not paying $6 a month for it.  That's one channel.   Now Add FOX, NBC, ABC, CW, others at $5+ a pop and now it's much cheaper to just get that CableTV service.