SoHo Apple Store hosts 'Becoming Steve Jobs' book reading, Q&A session with authors

Posted:
in General Discussion edited March 2015
Authors Brent Schlender and Rick Tetzeli visited the Apple Store SoHo in New York on Thursday to read selections from their hotly anticipated biography "Becoming Steve Jobs" and field questions from what quickly became a packed house.

Crown Publishing via Twitter

Schlender and Tetzeli were featured guests of the SoHo Apple Store's meet and greet series that brings in notable authors, filmmakers, musicians and more to talk about their latest projects. Events are free and open to the public, though some presentations with high profile participants require reservations.

Apple's venue completely filled up for today's discussion, which had the authors reading snippets from the book and answering questions from audience members. Some latecomers were left standing in the aisles, according to people who attended.

Released this week, "Becoming Steve Jobs" draws largely on Schlender's multiple meetings and interviews with Jobs during his time covering Silicon Valley for The Wall Street Journal and Fortune. Schlender first met Jobs during the early days of NeXT and was in contact with the tech guru up until his death in 2011.

Unlike previous books focusing on Jobs' life, including Walter Isaacson's official biography, "Becoming Steve Jobs" found an outpouring of support from Apple itself. Numerous executives, including CEO Tim Cook, design chief Jony Ive, among others, contributed interviews to offer a more complete portrait of Jobs, one that goes beyond his well-known public persona.

Along with behind-the-scenes cooperation, Apple prominently featured "Becoming Steve Jobs" on the iBookstore and even included an iTunes preview link on the SoHo Apple Store's retail webpage advertising today's talk.

"Becoming Steve Jobs" is available for $11.99 on Kindle or $19.83 on hardback through Amazon.com and $12.99 on the iBookstore.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18

I'm just about done with it. Amazing book, and there's a ton of new info in here that I hadn't heard before (and I'm not new to Jobs).

• Reply 2 of 18
    I'm just about done with it. Amazing book, and there's a ton of new info in here that I hadn't heard before (and I'm not new to Jobs).

Excellent.

I'm looking forward to reading it.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member

I'm having trouble getting engaged with the book. Thus far it feels so much like the authors' second hand generalizations and aggrandizements, without specific, important information to grab my attention. Other times the detail provided seems irrelevant. I grew up on the Bay Area in parallel with SJ, and the descriptions of the BA feel artificial/crafted, irrelevant/unnecessary. Too wordy is another attribute I would add. Will see how it goes, but so far not impressed.

• Reply 4 of 18
    cpsro wrote: »
    I'm having trouble getting engaged with the book. Thus far it feels so much like the authors' second hand generalizations and aggrandizements, without specific, important information to grab my attention. Other times the detail provided seems irrelevant. I grew up on the Bay Area in parallel with SJ, and the descriptions of the BA feel artificial/crafted, irrelevant/unnecessary. Too wordy is another attribute I would add. Will see how it goes, but so far not impressed.

Good to see conflicting reviews in this thread.

My intuition tells me that this book will be much more complimentary about Steve Jobs, which appeals to me, but will be worse written than Isaacson's, and therefore a duller read.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I already finished the book. Other than the Pixar/NeXT chapters and a few anecdotes the book didn't do much for me or really tell me anything I didn't already know. Products like iPhone, iPad, iTunes, iPod and iMac got a few pages each when they all could have received their own chapters. But I guess this was a book about Steve Jobs not Apple so I probably went in with the wrong expectations.

I did find it interesting that there were no comments from Tony Fadell or Scott Forstall (the latter was was only mentioned 4 times in the book). And the book gives the distinct impression that Tony Fadell didn't really get along with anyone and there's no love for him within the current executive team. I was surprised that once Avie Tevanian left the company Steve basically cut off all contact with him. Clearly Steve was closer to the current executive team than the one that came over after Apple purchased NeXT. And interesting that two of the executives Steve was closest to (Jony Ive and Eddy Cue) were veteran Apple employees not from NeXT and not hired by him.
  • Reply 6 of 18
    Do we get to hear any fun and interesting stories? Like all that precious time he took away from his busy schedule of berating his employees in order to spend more time neglecting his daughter?
  • Reply 7 of 18
    Is that Gruber on stage on the left?
  • Reply 8 of 18
    jccjcc Posts: 326member
    I think the fact that Schlender was supposedly a friend of Jobs but Jobs didn't think enough of him to let him write the official biography while he was still alive is very telling. This biography is probably much more biased in painting a positive picture of Steve and that's why all the current executives contributed and praised it. It's basically a snow job. I just started reading it so I won't be able to say for certain until I'm finished but thus far, all the circumstantial evidence point to such.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    jcc wrote: »
    I think the fact that Schlender was supposedly a friend of Jobs but Jobs didn't think enough of him to let him write the official biography while he was still alive is very telling. This biography is probably much more biased in painting a positive picture of Steve and that's why all the current executives contributed and praised it. It's basically a snow job. I just started reading it so I won't be able to say for certain until I'm finished but thus far, all the circumstantial evidence point to such.

And you'd be wrong. Schlender goes after him on the poaching agreements, the stock backdating, his abandonment of employees, the agency pricing model, etc.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    carthusia wrote: »

No, Gruber's in Philadelphia wearing an eyepatch.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

I've read so many Steve Job's biographies that I'm starting to think it all happened to me.

And I'll never forgive Sculley for throwing me out of my own company...
  • Reply 12 of 18
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,423member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GTR View Post

I've read so many Steve Job's biographies that I'm starting to think it all happened to me.

And I'll never forgive Sculley for throwing me out of my own company...

I think Sculley's lameness pales compared to Amelio's, who favored licensing Windows NT from Microsoft.

These clowns were your run of the mill, overpaid executives trying to shoehorn conventional business strategies into a struggling Apple, oblivious to everything that made Apple unique. Granted it's easy to make this observation today, with 20/20 hindsight, but to me this underscores just how special Apple is and why companies with loads of talent like Google and Microsoft still don't "get" what makes them successful. 

• Reply 13 of 18
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    freediverx wrote: »
    I think Sculley's lameness pales compared to Amelio's, who favored licensing Windows NT from Microsoft.

These clowns were your run of the mill, overpaid executives trying to shoehorn conventional business strategies into a struggling Apple, oblivious to everything that made Apple unique. Granted it's easy to make this observation today, with 20/20 hindsight, but to me this underscores just how special Apple is and why companies with loads of talent like Google and Microsoft still don't "get" what makes them successful. 

Ah, but at least Gil got everybody on that boat with the hole in it rowing in the right direction...

????
  • Reply 14 of 18
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member

I am generally an Apple "fan", but I am very suspicious of a book that Apple would host a book reading and Q&A for.

Tech writers are not historians or biographers. Something's not right.

• Reply 15 of 18
    s4las4la Posts: 3member
  • Reply 16 of 18
    jony0jony0 Posts: 378member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carthusia View Post

No, Gruber's in Philadelphia wearing an eyepatch.

Actually it is Gruber :

http://daringfireball.net/linked/2015/03/27/schlender-tetzeli-interview

NY is close enough for him to drive so he doesn't have to fly.

• Reply 17 of 18
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Sho' nuff, it is Gruber, with no eyepatch already. Apologies to Mr. Carthusia and anyone misled.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    flaneur wrote: »
    Sho' nuff, it is Gruber, with no eyepatch already. Apologies to Mr. Carthusia and anyone misled.

Why was he wearing an eyepatch?