Samsung reportedly wins contract to supply 'A9' SoCs for Apple's next iPhone

Posted:
in iPhone edited April 2015
A report on Thursday once again affirms rumors that Apple is contracting Samsung to manufacture A-series processors expected for inclusion in next-generation iPhone handsets.

Citing sources close to the matter, Bloomberg says Samsung is slated to fabricate Apple's forthcoming system on chip design, potentially dubbed "A9," bound for this year's iOS device lineup. If true, Samsung would reclaim a position currently filled by Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co, the world's largest chipmaker.

Samsung's plant in Giheung, South Korea, is said to be a main point of manufacture, with additional orders going to partner GlobalFoundries. GlobalFoundries, which joined forces with Samsung last year in an attempt to stave off unchecked growth by TSMC, licenses the Korean company's 14-nanometer fabrication technology. The process is a step ahead of TSMC's 20-nanometer process used to produce Apple A8 SoCs, which power iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus and recent iPad models.

Samsung has for months been rumored to be a key supplier of Apple's next-generation silicon, the most recent report coming in February. It was said in December that Samsung was already trialling A9 production after TSMC failed to compete with its own 16-nanometer process.

In addition to chip architecting, Samsung is also rumored to provide DRAM modules for Apple's A9, meaning a good portion of critical iPhone components could be produced by the Galaxy maker.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    rnelsonrnelson Posts: 4member
    Oxygen for Samsung...
  • Reply 2 of 39
    Apple Insider, you are amazing! I contacted you a few weeks ago with TWO similar Bloomberg articles stating TSMC had won, but you chose to ignore BOTH articles. Now Bloomberg reports Samsung has won and right on queue, you publish an article about it. If this is not Samsung promotion, I do not what is.

I even contacted Daniel about the Apple Insider silence about the TSMC wins. Amazingly, I let him know I was hopeful Apple Insider would publish an article about the TSMC wins. Oh well. Go, Apple/Samsung Insider!

Ultimately though, I truly hope Samsung does not screw Apple over by blatantly stealing even more Apple technology, which of course would provide this site with quite a few articles chastising Samsung for doing exactly what Samsung does to customers it is trying to destroy.
  • Reply 3 of 39

I don't really care who makes the next A Series processor for Apple. All I know is it's going to again set the benchmark for world's most advanced ARM processor.

With the A8 being a mild tweak of the A7, I'm expecting the A9 to be a more significant upgrade.

• Reply 4 of 39

Apple Insider, you purposefully chose to skip publishing the following from the Bloomberg report to make Samsung look good. What's up with that?

Samsung will start making the A9 processor chips at it Giheung plan in South Korea, the people said, asking not to be identified because the contract hasn't been discussed publicly. Additional orders will go to Samsung's partner Globalfoundries Inc., according to another person familiar with the arrangement.

I have previously written that the "Samsung won" rumors usually hit just before Samsung announces its quarterly earnings. Right on queue, here is another rumor AND it is blindly propelled as fact by Apple Insider.

I must not forget Samsung spends a ton of money on this site promoting its Six Appeal. Biting the hand that feeds is probably not a good idea.

• Reply 5 of 39
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    And they said Samsung couldn't make money in mobile!

????
  • Reply 6 of 39
    xixoxixo Posts: 449member
    Apple Insider, you are amazing! I contacted you a few weeks ago with TWO similar Bloomberg articles stating TSMC had won, but you chose to ignore BOTH articles. Now Bloomberg reports Samsung has won and right on queue, you publish an article about it. If this is not Samsung promotion, I do not what is.

I even contacted Daniel about the Apple Insider silence about the TSMC wins. Amazingly, I let him know I was hopeful Apple Insider would publish an article about the TSMC wins. Oh well. Go, Apple/Samsung Insider!

Ultimately though, I truly hope Samsung does not screw Apple over by blatantly stealing even more Apple technology, which of course would provide this site with quite a few articles chastising Samsung for doing exactly what Samsung does to customers it is trying to destroy.

The information that apple provides to Samsung for A9 manufacturing purposes does not equate to a documented roadmap of the chip's functions and features.

It's more like the relationship between a blueprint and the finished building - you cannot fully ascertain the intended function of the latter from the former.

A9 is but one element of the iPhone/iPad system.
  • Reply 7 of 39
    stevecstevec Posts: 6member
    I think you shouldn't blame AI but Bloomberg. [quote]Citing sources close to the matter, Bloomberg says ... [B]If true[/B],[/quote]
  • Reply 8 of 39
    I read Bloomberg regularly, can you pleas cite the2 articles?
  • Reply 9 of 39
    Quote:

Originally Posted by xixo View Post

The information that apple provides to Samsung for A9 manufacturing purposes does not equate to a documented roadmap of the chip's functions and features.

It's more like the relationship between a blueprint and the finished building - you cannot fully ascertain the intended function of the latter from the former.

xixo, I agree the A9 is but one element of the iPhone/iPad system.

My argument is Apple Insider choosing to ignore the Bloomberg articles rumoring TSMC won the A9 while glorifying the Bloomberg articles rumoring Samsung won the A9. As previously mentioned, Samsung is close to announcing quarterly earnings so, the "Samsung won" rumors are queueing right on time and Apple Insider is publishing the rumors as fact!

No matter which company wins the A9, I plan to purchase the 5.5 version of the iPhone on T-Mobile. I have gotten a new iPhone every year since I started with the iPhone 3GS. I have no real reason to stop now.

• Reply 10 of 39
    Quote:

Originally Posted by xixo View Post

If you know how to read blueprints you have a pretty damned good idea what's going on. Samsung won't know everything, but to think they won't glean some useful information from Apple's designs is wishful thinking.

However, Samsung could never copy Apple design elements from a processor to use in their own. Design patents on the look of an iPhone are one thing as they are a matter of opinion. But if Samsung copied Apple and used technology in their processor it would be very easy for Apple to prove. And that would be disastrous for Samsung if it wants to keep making components for a wide variety of customers. Who would trust them to do anything if they were caught stealing something like a processor design?

• Reply 11 of 39
    The real danger for TSMC is that Apple goes with Samsung+GF but unfortunately I highly doubt that even though that will be better for USA as it means more hi-tech jobs in NY and TX.
  • Reply 12 of 39
    gtr wrote: »
    And they said Samsung couldn't make money in mobile!

????

I'm glad Apple makes Samsung compete for their business... maybe even shave a little off their profit.
  • Reply 13 of 39
    Quote:

...chip architecting...

architecting ?!? AI, please, here is helpful free site you may want to perhaps consider - Alison English Courses... ;) 

• Reply 14 of 39
    I don't really care who makes the next A Series processor for Apple. All I know is it's going to again set the benchmark for world's most advanced ARM processor.

With the A8 being a mild tweak of the A7, I'm expecting the A9 to be a more significant upgrade.

Have you noticed your comment is no longer second, but first now?
  • Reply 15 of 39
    Baloney. I bet you samsung's numbers are so abysmal that they need to have their paid lackeys come up with some good news.

Just like blackberry, at some point they will have to do write downs for all the 'sold' phones in warehouses. Apple is reporting on the 27th. Normally Apple would report much earlier and Samsung reports around the 27th. Maybe Samsung will move their report date too. But watch for it. They must be really bad.

As to Apple reporting much later, maybe they did it so they can announce the sales of the Iwatch before the quiet period (which I think begins two weeks before report date).
  • Reply 16 of 39
    analogjackanalogjack Posts: 1,073member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by koolhaas View Post

Quote:

...chip architecting...

architecting ?!? AI, please, here is helpful free site you may want to perhaps consider - Alison English Courses... ;) 

I can assure you that having a listen to Myths, Lies, and Half-Truths of Language Usage, by professor John McWhorter, will alter your perception of the English language and it usage, particularly regarding posts like the above.

• Reply 17 of 39
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

I'm glad Apple makes Samsung compete for their business... maybe even shave a little off their profit.

Why would Samsung drop their prices?  If asked to do so they would probably just suggest Apple go let TSMC make the A9 at 20nm.  Samsung doesn't currently have competition.

• Reply 18 of 39
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

Why would Samsung drop their prices?  If asked to do so they would probably just suggest Apple go let TSMC make the A9 at 20nm.  Samsung doesn't currently have competition.

I am not certain this is true. According to an article published on March 30, 2015, by the Korea IT News, Samsung has created a display specifically to cater to Apple's needs. The article is titled, "Samsung Display Creates Exclusive Group in Charge of ‘Apple’". Here is the link to the news article... http://english.etnews.com/20150330200001.

• Reply 19 of 39
    heliahelia Posts: 170member

14nm manufacturing (though it's just FinFET) will result in hell of a lot less power consumption, shall it Apple use to gain even more performance out of A9 or for saving energy (make 6s even thinner!) or for a balance scenario, they all sound great to me!

• Reply 20 of 39
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by helia View Post

14nm manufacturing (though it's just FinFET) will result in hell of a lot less power consumption, shall it Apple use to gain even more performance out of A9 or for saving energy (make 6s even thinner!) or for a balance scenario, they all sound great to me!

Them can make it more powerful, or use less power. But, in a mobile device, both go together. Since most interactions on such a device at not CPU hungry, a very powerful device will idle most of the time.