Apple Watch uses Force Touch to change animated emoji color, Turlington Burns says

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited April 2015
Week four of Christy Turlington Burns' Apple Watch diary finds the supermodel in California, where she reveals a few more tidbits about the device's user interface and how it keeps her motivated.

A pseudo Apple Watch brand ambassador, Turlington Burns has been posting regularly to a diary on Apple's website as she trains for the upcoming London Marathon. In her most recent entry, published earlier this week, she provided insight into Watch's tentpole messaging features.

Apparently, Apple furnished Turlington Burns's family with multiple Apple Watches to test out communications functionality. During a spring break trip last week, Turlington Burns and her daughter swapped animated emojis with her husband and son, who were in another area of California.

Interestingly, users can dynamically change the color of smiley face emoji characters using Apple Watch's Force Touch feature.

"The faces are the best because they're so expressive," she writes. "If you press the screen, you can change the color."

By positioning electrodes around the screen, Apple Watch is capable of distinguishing presses from taps. Combined with a capacitive display, Watch can pinpoint where and how a finger is touching the screen, opening up a slew of new contextual UI controls.

Turlington Burns also said Apple Watch Activity rings -- Move, Exercise and Stand -- validate her philosophy that exercise doesn't necessarily require a visit to the gym. She also expressed how important the device has become as a running partner, especially in terms of progress tracking. Users can offload activity data to their iPhone to examine specific metrics like pace, distance, time and more.

In an accompanying infographic Apple briefly outlines Apple Watch heart rate monitoring, saying, "By flashing its LED lights hundreds of times per second, Apple Watch can calculate the number of times your heart beats each minute during your workout. That measurement is your heart rate."

Turlington Burns has 23 days to train for the upcoming Virgin Money London Marathon on April 26, where she will participate to raise awareness and funds for her nonprofit Every Mother Counts. Apple Watch launches just two day prior to race day, a fortuitous schedule that dovetails nicely with Turlington Burns' initiative.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    9secondko9secondko Posts: 929member
    She must be making some serious money from Apple.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    blitz1blitz1 Posts: 438member
    Amazing "complication"
  • Reply 3 of 17
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    OK Apple bring this tech to iPhone and iPad already! Force touch with control center would be awesome. :smokey:
  • Reply 4 of 17
    phone-ui-guyphone-ui-guy Posts: 1,019member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 9secondko View Post

I wouldn't be surprised if Apple was making a donation to her charity for this. I'm sure she wanted to use it, but the publicity for her charity is probably worth it alone. A large donation from Apple would make it that much better. 

• Reply 5 of 17
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Its almost certain that most of the money she gets from this goes to her charity which has really took off in the last two years, and she did it mostly for exposure.

I wouldn't be surprised if she's featured in advertising all year long, along with a maternal health charity "every mother count".

• Reply 6 of 17
    Apple Watch has already won its second award. The Red Dot design award. The watch received the elevated Best of the Best award.

http://www.ablogtowatch.com/apple-watch-receives-red-dot-best-best-design-award/

Ariel Adams, who runs the site a blog to watch says:

[QUOTE]I've handled a number of smartwatches and have yet to experience anything that comes even remotely close to the fit and finishing, as well as overall presentation of the Apple Watch.[/QUOTE]
  • Reply 7 of 17
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    I didn't think I would be but I am genuinely excited about getting an Apple Watch. I'm going to the Apple Store on Friday to try out the bands for size and then get my pre-order placed. I just wish that they had more hands on videos out for consumption. (I know that these will be a bazillion vids out after the 24th but I will have it then and will be too busy trying it out)
  • Reply 8 of 17
    Apple only needs to sell a million for it to be the most successful smart watch ever. And there are at least a million diehards out there who will buy anything Apple releases. I don't see how this can fail. Unless Johnny is deliberately making the watch a terrible experience, to hurt Tim Cook. Maybe an insult Cook paid his wife. Maybe Cook belittled him in an art meeting. Maybe Tim Cook owns the same model of some luxury car. Whatever the reason, stockholders should be on the lookout.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    Apple only needs to sell a million for it to be the most successful smart watch ever. And there are at least a million diehards out there who will buy anything Apple releases. I don't see how this can fail. Unless Johnny is deliberately making the watch a terrible experience, to hurt Tim Cook. Maybe an insult Cook paid his wife. Maybe Cook belittled him in an art meeting. Maybe Tim Cook owns the same model of some luxury car. Whatever the reason, stockholders should be on the lookout.

WTF?
  • Reply 10 of 17

Your string of randomly assembled words unfortunately fails to pass the Turing test. A human writer would actually know something about Apple, Inc.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    Your string of randomly assembled words unfortunately fails to pass the Turing test. A human writer would actually know something about Apple, Inc.
    I think it was only a joke. He was making fun of the investors in a tongue in cheek way.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:

Well, at least she isn't making that and then tweet raving about it from Android smartphone.

• Reply 13 of 17
    nick29nick29 Posts: 111member
    Awesome, you can change the diversity of your watch with a force touch!

Also, I would call her a "former supermodel". She's very good looking for her age, but also a quarter-century past her prime.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ross.alex.k View Post

I think it was only a joke. He was making fun of the investors in a tongue in cheek way.

That was my first take on it as well.

• Reply 15 of 17
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

This particular implementation might be gimmicky, but there's an infinite amount of possibilities for the tech. 

• Reply 16 of 17
    xixoxixo Posts: 449member
    I don't see how this can fail. Unless Johnny is deliberately making the watch a terrible experience, to hurt Tim Cook. Maybe an insult Cook paid his wife. Maybe Cook belittled him in an art meeting. Maybe Tim Cook owns the same model of some luxury car. Whatever the reason, stockholders should be on the lookout.

Maybe Cook offered Ive an insane amount of money not to leave Apple after Steve died, and staying in California drove Ive insane.

See Steve Martin's "the cruel shoes" for insane design reference.