Apple to release super-high resolution 'iMac 8K' later this year, display partner LG says

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited April 2015
In a rather unusual reveal, a supposed "iMac 8K" has been outed in a press release that was published by Apple display supplier LG, suggesting the all-in-one desktop will get an even higher resolution screen this year.

The announcement was actually made by LG a week ago, but AppleInsider was tipped to the press release on Monday. In declaring the "next-generation of high-resolution 8K," LG detailed its pixel-packing display technology and talked about its partnerships, including its alignment with Apple.

"Apple has also announced that they will release the 'iMac 8K' with a super-high resolution display later this year," the press release states. Apple, however, has not publicly announced plans for a new iMac update.

Apple's 27-inch iMac was given a super-resolution 5K display in an upgrade that arrived last fall. It features 14.7-million pixels packed into the same svelte design as the non-Retina iMac.

That Apple would upgrade the iMac so quickly to an even higher resolution screen seems unusual. It's also odd for a partner the caliber of LG to publicly reveal future Apple product plans before the company itself decides to make an announcement.

LG's 8K display technology is dubbed "Quad Ultra-High Definition," with a resolution of 7,680 by 4,320 pixels. That's two times the resolution of a 4K screen, with four times the number of pixels.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 76
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    30" iMac?
  • Reply 2 of 76
    fenlynfenlyn Posts: 7member
    That press release date is a little suspect.
  • Reply 3 of 76
    blazarblazar Posts: 270member
    I have a 5k and it is more than enough.... It is stunning in fact. This sounds like noise.
  • Reply 4 of 76
    schlackschlack Posts: 719member
    next gen apple monitor; doesn't have to be the iMac
  • Reply 5 of 76
    With all the MacPro owners screaming for an Apple branded 27"-32" stand along monitor, I'd think that would be a priority. I don't understand why, if they can produce a 5K iMac, they couldn't have released a stand alone monitor at the same time.
  • Reply 6 of 76
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    April 1?
  • Reply 7 of 76
    spodspod Posts: 30member
    The idea of a 30" iMac or more likely a replacement for the Thunderbolt Display certainly has merit.
  • Reply 8 of 76
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    sog35 wrote: »
    sounds like an AppleTV

AI specifically wrote "iMac". Likely an April Fool's joke.
  • Reply 10 of 76
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

Not a chance.

• Reply 11 of 76
    geekmeegeekmee Posts: 629member
    Sounds April Foolish.
  • Reply 12 of 76
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

30" iMac?

Pretty much what I'm thinking. The Retina 5K is the best thing I've ever seen... I now work on it every day and I don't know how I ever worked on anything else. Its truly magnificent.

That said, someone like me (the target market for the device) would be just as happy to have a super hi res 30" iMac. So yea, bring it on.

• Reply 13 of 76
    Presumably the 21" iMac will be updated to include a 4k version, but I'd be quite a bit surprised if Apple decided that the already-niche 5k iMac needed a big brother, and needed it ASAP.
  • Reply 14 of 76
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Geekmee View Post

Sounds April Foolish.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Not a chance.

Pretty much the same drivel that was spewed about a 5K iMac last year.

• Reply 15 of 76
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,032member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

AI specifically wrote "iMac". Likely an April Fool's joke.

One of those hilarious April 6th pranks?

If you check the LG press release, you will see that they referred to the iMac.  BTW, press release also not on April1 .

• Reply 16 of 76
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,285member
    no matter how this plays out, i think that someone at LG just lost their job.
  • Reply 17 of 76
    appexappex Posts: 687member
    Bring the 16K display. The ultimate resolution:

QUHD (Quad Ultra HD) is a display resolution of 15360x8640 pixels (four times as many pixels as FUHD (8K, see above), or sixteen times as many as UHD) in the same 16:9 aspect ratio.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphics_display_resolution#QUHD_.2815360x8640.29
  • Reply 18 of 76
    jp55jp55 Posts: 15member
    With all the MacPro owners screaming for an Apple branded 27"-32" stand along monitor, I'd think that would be a priority. I don't understand why, if they can produce a 5K iMac, they couldn't have released a stand alone monitor at the same time.

Because there is no way to drive an external 5k display. DisplayPort 1.2 can't do it, even Thunderbolt 2 doesn't have the bandwidth required. In the fall thunderbolt 3 will arrive with the Skylake chipset, which may be what they're waiting for before releasing stand alone retina monitors (27" 5K & 32" 8K ??)
  • Reply 19 of 76
    adrayvenadrayven Posts: 460member
    2K QHD is NOT 3840 x 2160

2k QHD is 2560 x 1440

4K UHD is 3840 x 2160 (16x9)
    4K UHD DCI-Compliant is 4096 x 2160 (Odd aspect ratio, which is why most monitors don't do it)

See FACTS before posting such standards AI.. it's not hard you know..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphics_display_resolution#QHD_.282560x1440.29
  • Reply 20 of 76
    kent909kent909 Posts: 731member
    So one article talks about Apple TV not supporting 4K but they will be releasing an 8K display. Rumors abound.