Apple Pay to face mobile payments competitor CurrentC in mid-2015

Posted:
in iPhone edited April 2015
Apple's iPhone-based Apple Pay service will soon see its first major competition in the mobile payments space as MCX consortium-backed solution CurrentC prepares to go public.

According to a report from MacWorld on Monday, CurrentC will exit limited trials and officially launch in one U.S. market over the next few months.

In a statement released today, CurrentC said initial availability "will be determined based on a number of factors, including retail support, infrastructure and consumer population."

Unlike Apple Pay, which completes credit and debit card-based transactions via touchless NFC technology, CurrentC relies on what some consider to be a less secure means of payment processing. With CurrentC, a customer uses their smartphone to take a picture of a one-time QR code generated at an MCX point-of-sale terminal. The payment amount is directly deducted from a user's bank account, which is linked with CurrentC on the backend.

Merchant Customer Exchange (MCX) CEO Dekkers Davidson previously noted POS terminals offering support for CurrentC are also compatible with NFC systems, meaning Apple Pay can technically be used on hardware at partner merchant locations. However, retailers in the consortium inked exclusivity agreements that preclude them from using alternative forms of electronic payment, something Davidson said was necessary for a successful rollout.

Backed by MCX, CurrentC entered the public eye after partner merchants CVS and Rite Aid pulled support for Apple Pay shortly after its debut in October. Other notable MCX retailers to deny Apple Pay transactions include Best Buy and Wal-Mart.

In November, however, Davidson said CurrentC's exclusivity timeline would be "measured in months, not years," meaning Apple Pay could show up at MCX merchants sooner than previously thought.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 50
    blazarblazar Posts: 270member
    Lame and pointless for consumers.
  • Reply 2 of 50
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,960member
    I will not use it, will avoid merchants who do (and not ApplePay), and will tell them why.
  • Reply 3 of 50
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Not directly to MY bank account it isn't.
  • Reply 4 of 50
    adrayvenadrayven Posts: 460member
    No way I'm adding my checking account to anything like that.. They basically say they re doing this to put the fraud costs onto the account holder just to 'bypass' the credit card companies and 1 or 2 % processing fee.

They don't care about the customer or the risks they put them at. In my mind, it makes them worse than CC companies.
  • Reply 5 of 50
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    Dumbest idea ever. You'd have to pay me to go through those lame steps.
  • Reply 6 of 50
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    They say they will roll out in the coming months in "ONE U.S. market," with availability determined by "consumer population."

Translation: "Between now and November, we hope to begin a rollout in the Okenfenokee market."
  • Reply 7 of 50
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Unlike Apple Pay, which completes credit and debit card-based transactions via touchless NFC technology, CurrentC relies on what some consider to be a less secure means of payment processing. With CurrentC, a customer uses their smartphone to take a picture of a one-time QR code generated at an MCX point-of-sale terminal. The payment amount is directly deducted from a user's bank account, which is linked with CurrentC on the backend.

Sounds fucking amazing. I've always wanted to take photos of QR codes at checkout, and directly connect my bank account to this service. Very consumer focused. Where do I signup?

• Reply 8 of 50
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    Going public at same time lol
    Cynically raking in ipo $$$$ all the while knowing they are ultimately going to fail.
    Going to take a whole heap of lipstick to smarten this pig up.
    There should be some fall out over this if it pans out that way. Can't see it happening any other way tho' - fail.
    Who'd invest in CurrentC anyhow ?
  • Reply 9 of 50
    roakeroake Posts: 811member
    robm wrote: »
    Going public at same time lol
    Cynically raking in ipo $$$$ all the while knowing they are ultimately going to fail.
    Going to take a whole heap of lipstick to smarten this pig up.
    There should be some fall out over this if it pans out that way. Can't see it happening any other way tho' - fail.
    Who'd invest in CurrentC anyhow ?

Short sell them, wait for crash. Buy back at pennies on the dollar. Invest in APPL.
  • Reply 10 of 50
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Whoever uses this or Samsung Pay is idiot. I just had my bank card compromised over the weekend and I fcking swear that I will never use credit card again without tokenization. Seriously, if you shop online a lot, avoid regular cc transactions but use it thru Apple Pay or any other secured types of payments.
  • Reply 11 of 50
    What I want to know is who at CVS, Rite-Aid, Best Buy and Walmart thought this was a better idea than Apple Pay, and any other payment form for that matter, including the venerable credit card.
  • Reply 12 of 50
    What I want to know is who at CVS, Rite-Aid, Best Buy and Walmart thought this was a better idea than Apple Pay, and any other payment form for that matter, including the venerable credit card.

Those stores were looking to eliminate the usual 2% or 3% credit card transaction fees. That's why they thought it was a good idea.

Basically... CurrentC was created to benefit merchants.... not the consumer.
  • Reply 13 of 50
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    Every time I read about this, it just makes me smile.

Also; Slurp nails it, as always. LOL
  • Reply 14 of 50
    Best Buy and CVS' last stand.
  • Reply 15 of 50
    In November, however, Davidson said CurrentC's exclusivity timeline <a href="http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/11/05/mcx-ceo-compares-currentc-rollout-to-original-iphone-reiterates-exclusivity-to-end-in-months">would be</a> "measured in months, not years," meaning Apple Pay could show up at MCX merchants sooner than previously thought.
    The whole service's lifetime will probably be measured in months, not years.
  • Reply 16 of 50
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    roake wrote: »
    Short sell them, wait for crash. Buy back at pennies on the dollar. Invest in APPL.

Good call - but fraught with risk.
    Not for me. Not this one.
    Fundamentals are fcuked. They're porked and they know it.
    The ipo is a blatant try at a money grab/cost recovery for the few initial investors and the bankers stupid enough to back them.

There will be nothing left in this company at the end of the day.
    oh wait - there'll be the lease on the office space :-)
  • Reply 17 of 50
    b9botb9bot Posts: 238member

Should be called outdated C. ApplePay is more secure, and no personal info is given out. The so called competitor collects your data and is no better than swiping your credit or debit card the way it is now. 

• Reply 18 of 50
    Only something this obtuse, insecure, customer-inconvenient and done for the purposes of greed could be a brainchild of Walmart and its ilk. No thanks!
  • Reply 19 of 50
    sflagelsflagel Posts: 805member

This does not sound very convenient. I would not mind linking my bank account to it (it is linked to PayPal, is there a difference), but the payment process itself seems awkward. Take a picture of a QR code off a terminal? And then how does the merchant know the payment is approved? In order for this to happen, the payment processing would have to happen on the customer side, with a notification being sent at the end to the merchant as confirmation, ie multiple points of potential failure, as opposed to one point of failure on traditional terminals.

• Reply 20 of 50
    5 Ways to Tap into Your iPad%u2019s Full Potential
    Since Apple first launched iPad 5 years ago, this device has gained immense popularity among people of all ages and professions. Some use it for fun, whereas others %u2013 for work and study, and in today%u2019s blog we will tell you about a few things, perhaps, you didn%u2019t know you can do with your iPad https://www.snappii.com/resource-center/snappii-rapid-codeless-mobile-business-app-development-platform/