Apple Watch performance problems to be fixed with software update ahead of April 24 launch

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited April 2015
The review version of the Apple Watch is experiencing performance problems that Apple says will be fixed in upcoming software updates, one of which is expected to arrive before the device lands on the wrists of consumers, according to an early review of the device.

On Wednesday The Verge said that the Watch can sometimes stutter loading notifications, and take too long to load apps or pull data and location from a paired iPhone. In some cases third-party apps may not load at all, and the Watch can periodically become unresponsive for a few seconds.

Apple told the publication about the updates in response to those concerns. The company said it is at least hoping to improve the speed of third-party apps ahead of the offcial April 24 launch, but didn't specify when subsequent updates might arrive or which problems will be fixed in each release.

Third-party apps from companies like Twitter and the New York Times are expected to be central to the Watch's appeal. Combined with the product's built-in apps, they should let people handle many tasks without pulling their iPhone out of their pocket. If the Watch is too slow however, it may simply be easier to resort to the phone.

A spate of Watch reviews are being publsihed today following the lifting of Apple's review embargo. Preorders are going live on Friday, April 10 at 12:01 a.m. Pacific time, and the company is presumably hoping to drum up further anticipation. Complaints about performance could hurt preorder sales.

At the same time, launch supplies could be constrained, so people wanting a Watch in the near future may be tempted to place an order as soon as possible regardless.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Oh, FFS.
  • Reply 2 of 28
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member

Guess the cots were rolled into the software development office...

Let us look at what is available at launch to make a judgment of the product.  Prerelease isn't a good indicator of the final product.

• Reply 3 of 28
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Oh, FFS.

I remember the Verge re-scored a Nexus phone review after there was an update to the camera software. I wonder if Nialy will do the same with ?Watch?
  • Reply 4 of 28
    rogifan wrote: »
    I remember the Verge re-scored a Nexus phone review after there was an update to the camera software. I wonder if Nialy will do the same with ?Watch?

I can't count the number of times I've seen him in interviews and presentations where he's clearly drunk.
  • Reply 5 of 28
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    So like with all other products, a software update will improve it. Makes sense.
  • Reply 6 of 28
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,341member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I can't count the number of times I've seen him in interviews and presentations where he's clearly drunk.

Oh, and my "What time is? It's time for a drink" app isn't ready...

• Reply 7 of 28
    icoco3 wrote: »

Let us look at what is available at launch to make a judgment of the product.  Prerelease isn't a good indicator of the final product.
    <div id="user_link64_adl_tabid" style="display:none;">17566</div>

Yep. I know most HTC One M9 reviewers weren't using final software.
  • Reply 8 of 28

What's really sad is how many people think The Verge is pro-Apple. I don't know where they get that from. I see much more fawning over Google and Microsoft at The Verge than I do Apple. And Android definitely gets more love than iOS over there.
  • Reply 9 of 28
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    icoco3 wrote: »

<div id="user_link64_adl_tabid" style="display:none;">17566</div>
    True. Don't think I would want to be working at Apple watch OS team right now.

But it makes me wonder just how full featured the 15 minute demo/fittings will be if these problems won't be fixed until the shipping models. Apple certainly doesn't want a customer to feel the software is in any way slow, or cumbersome.
  • Reply 10 of 28
    What's really sad is how many people think The Verge is pro-Apple. I don't know where they get that from. I see much more fawning over Google and Microsoft at The Verge than I do Apple. And Android definitely gets more love than iOS over there.

They very occasionally have had some long form journalism that was exceptional. More recently, they are swamped with trolling trash stories.
  • Reply 11 of 28
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

They very occasionally have had some long form journalism that was exceptional. More recently, they are swamped with trolling trash stories.

It's Vox Media in general. Polygon's gone from a gaming site with good features to a man-hating, conservative-bashing rathole. And they wonder why numbers are down. :no:

• Reply 12 of 28
    neilmneilm Posts: 987member

About normal for tech products today. We bought a new TV a few weeks ago, and the first thing it did after I connected it to the net was prompt me to perform a firmware update. There's always pipeline inventory that's going to need software updates after delivery.

• Reply 13 of 28
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

So why the **** would theVerge rush out a review if they know the software is not a reflection of the final consumer product? Why the **** not wait to publish, since noone can buy the Watch anyway, and it won't be out for at least 2 weeks? Oh right, hits, "FIRST!" and to be negative. I can imagine how excited they were to post that 7. Is it really a worse product than the Moto 360, which they gave an 8.1, and included stuff like "replaceable straps are great!", "round is good!" in the positive column, while the thing had horrendous battery life and can't do a fraction of what the Apple Watch can do. Makes you realize how Apple products are judged on a completely different, almost impossible standard. He repearedly says this is easily the best smart watch out there, yet give it a 7, lower than many other smart watches they've reviewed? Makes sense!

• Reply 14 of 28
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

So why the **** would theVerge rush out a review if they know the software is not a reflection of the final consumer product? Why the **** not wait to publish, since noone can buy the Watch anyway, and it won't be out for at least 2 weeks? Oh right, hits, "FIRST!" and to be negative. I can imagine how excited they were to post that 7. Is it really a worse product than the Moto 360, which they gave an 8.1, and included stuff like "replaceable straps are great!", "round is good!" in the positive column, while the thing had horrendous battery life and can't do a fraction of what the Apple Watch can do. Makes you realize how Apple products are judged on a completely different, almost impossible standard. He repearedly says this is easily the best smart watch out there, yet give it a 7, lower than many other smart watches they've reviewed? Makes sense!

You really have to ask??

• Reply 15 of 28
    gregqgregq Posts: 62member

Phew - clicked the link to see The Verge's story and felt swamped with their web UI - maybe just me but I prefer simple to navigate stories like AI presents.

• Reply 16 of 28
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

You guys crack me up.  Apple supplied them with access to the device before release so they could report their findings before launch, that's the point.  Did you really expect them to publish nothing until after it's already on everyone's wrists?

• Reply 17 of 28
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator

The Verge was founded by some editors from Engadget who seemed quite pro-Apple. They left because AOL bought it out and was pushing for content to be made more profitable:

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/blog/2011/mar/13/engadget-editors-leaving

So if they could sell ads for Microsoft Surface, they might put up an article about it. Some of those people left The Verge but I don't think for the same reasons. It's getting harder to tell what articles are intended for profit. When editors have to make a living from this and with ad revenues not being very high I can see how this will become more of a problem. People seem to be drawn more to contentious issues and just skip over more passive news.

"everything's great, everything's rosey" = meh
    "there may be a problem, doom imminent, dun dun duuuun" = click, click, click, click

The audience is the ultimate solution to this and in control of the revenue stream.
  • Reply 18 of 28
    agramonteagramonte Posts: 345member

My god now Apple doing Day Zero patch!

I keep saying it. Does not matter how many fashion magazine covers Apple buys or how much lipstick you put on this pig. It is just a piece of electronics made in China - and a buggy one to top it off.

• Reply 19 of 28
    agramonte wrote: »
    My god now Apple doing Day Zero patch!

I keep saying it. Does not matter how many fashion magazine covers Apple buys or how much lipstick you put on this pig. It is just a piece of electronics made in China - and a buggy one to top it off.

That's a bit of a dramatic interpretation of events.
  • Reply 20 of 28

Ugh. The Verge. They make Mashable and Gizmodo seem like geniuses.