Apple releases iTunes 12.1.2, enabling syncing between iOS and new OS X Photos app

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited April 2015
Apple on Thursday issued a new update for iTunes that takes advantage of the new OS X Photos application, adding support for syncing photos to an iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.

For users who still sync and update through iTunes, version 12.1.2 adds support for the new Yosemite Photos application that debuted this week. The update is now available through the Mac App Store.

In addition, iTunes 12.1.2 also adds "several refinements" to the Get Info window in the media suite. Apple also said that the update improves overall stability of iTunes.

Photos for OS X is included in OS X 10.10.3, which was released to the public on Wednesday. Based on the Photos app for iOS, it replaces both iPhoto and Aperture, and allows users to organize their images and video and also sync them through iCloud.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    Cool. I still do this. And if you ever have an issue with your iPhone or iPad, it's the way to restore it.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    After updating to iTunes 12.1.2, iTunes will not launch.

Here is what I am seeing in the console:

4/9/15 11:02:36.319 AM pkd[686]: UNINSTALLED:com.apple.iTunes.today.TodayExtension com.apple.iTunes.today.TodayExtension(12.1.2) 10286EB1-CCFD-4E4C-B46A-719EE32C5DAD /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/PlugIns/TodayExtension.appex
    4/9/15 11:02:36.332 AM pkd[686]: INSTALLED:com.apple.iTunes.today.TodayExtension com.apple.iTunes.today.TodayExtension(12.1.2) <__NSConcreteUUID 0x7f9d63006450> 5038D233-BD3D-43C0-922A-E494B02F971E /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/PlugIns/TodayExtension.appex
    4/9/15 11:02:36.395 AM pkd[686]: PLUGIN REMOVAL:com.apple.iTunes.today.TodayExtension RESULT:3
    4/9/15 11:02:47.130 AM com.apple.dock.ecti[1305]: Failed to connect (textField) outlet from (ECTIHelperApp) to (NSTextField): missing setter or instance variable
    4/9/15 11:02:49.947 AM pkd[686]: UNINSTALLED:com.apple.iTunes.today.TodayExtension com.apple.iTunes.today.TodayExtension(12.1.2) 5038D233-BD3D-43C0-922A-E494B02F971E /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/PlugIns/TodayExtension.appex
    4/9/15 11:02:49.961 AM pkd[686]: INSTALLED:com.apple.iTunes.today.TodayExtension com.apple.iTunes.today.TodayExtension(12.1.2) <__NSConcreteUUID 0x7f9d63504290> D70CDFF3-2BB9-4FFB-AAD8-B7A288DFA3EA /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/PlugIns/TodayExtension.appex
    4/9/15 11:02:50.056 AM pkd[686]: PLUGIN REMOVAL:com.apple.iTunes.today.TodayExtension RESULT:3
    4/9/15 11:03:04.929 AM Console[1308]: Failed to connect (_consoleX) outlet from (NSApplication) to (ConsoleX): missing setter or instance variable
    4/9/15 11:03:36.135 AM mdworker[1318]: code validation failed in the process of getting signing information: Error Domain=NSOSStatusErrorDomain Code=-67062 "The operation couldn%u2019t be completed. (OSStatus error -67062.)"
    4/9/15 11:03:36.799 AM mdworker[1319]: code validation failed in the process of getting signing information: Error Domain=NSOSStatusErrorDomain Code=-67062 "The operation couldn%u2019t be completed. (OSStatus error -67062.)"
  • Reply 3 of 17
    [QUOTE]"For users who still sync and update through iTunes''[/QUOTE]
    Isn’t that about 85% of us ?
  • Reply 4 of 17
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jackthemac View Post

Isn’t that about 85% of us ?

85% of who? Certainly not users.

I haven't synced an iPhone with iTunes in a few years now. Its not necessary. At all. 

And the majority of iPhone users have never even used iTunes on a Mac or PC.

• Reply 5 of 17
    indyfxindyfx Posts: 321member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

I haven't synced an iPhone with iTunes in a few years now. Its not necessary. At all. 

There was an "anonomyous insider tip" that was reported on one site (then echoed via the internets echo chamber) that only 50% of iPhone users use iTunes to sync but if you ask, most (who would know) say it is better than 3/4 (75%) so I don't see how you can dismiss the 85% out of hand.

It is certainly in the ballpark.

• Reply 6 of 17
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

You don't back up your iPhone...at all? Or if only to iCloud you do realize it doesn't back up everything, right?

• Reply 7 of 17
    mazecookiemazecookie Posts: 163member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

You don't back up your iPhone...at all? Or if only to iCloud you do realize it doesn't back up everything, right?

The only stuff it doesn't back up is stuff you synced with iTunes.

It backs up all App data, just not media from iTunes, like Music, Movies and Podcasts. But if they're purchases, they're stored in the cloud anyway.

The only thing iTunes is absolutely crucial for now, is to do a full iOS restore. And one day in the not too distance future we'll have large base storage on iOS, and it'll include a separate partition to restore iOS itself (like a Mac does now), without iTunes.

• Reply 8 of 17
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    pmz wrote: »

That would be a good number as I think 85 % of Apples users are smart enough to realize the value of a local backup.

I don't know about that, I just went through a strange issue with my IOS update yesterday where the table wouldn't sync over the net with the iBOOKS app. Something goofy happened and eventually I had to sync via iTunes. Sometimes things just don't go as planned.
    That may be so but that isn't an ideal situation. Syncs and backups to a local storage system are insurance against strange things happening with over the air. Not to mention that Apple's web services have been known to go missing for extended lengths of time.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    indyfxindyfx Posts: 321member

A day may come when we forsake iTunes and break our bonds of local backup... but it is not this day!

-Aragorn (revised)

;-)

• Reply 10 of 17
    I want to see the ability to drag one album into another as an easy way to tidy up your albums. For example, I have an adele album that was one complete album when purchased but for somer reason it is displaying in albums as two separate albums. I have checked the meta tag it all appears to be in sync so no idea how to make it complete again... to be able to drag one album into another like you do with folders and files would make managing my iTunes library a dream!
  • Reply 11 of 17
    macjellomacjello Posts: 38member

When a single album inexplicably breaks up into two separate albums, it can usually be fixed if you rename them. Select all the songs from both separated albums together, and then change the album title by doing something simple like adding a character.  The two albums should merge into one again, and then you can delete the added character. 

• Reply 12 of 17
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,296member
    Macuser916: your idea would be an elegant way of doing what you're looking for, but I can tell you the reason you're seeing the adele album as two albums is because one of the tags -- even just a minor one -- is different between the two. A little closer investigation will reveal the difference and then the "albums" will unify. I've had to do this a lot, and 90 percent of the time its that Album Artist (versus just "Artist") is different, or the title is slightly different between the two. Let's hope its that obvious in your case.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Sounds like the stupidest thing you could be doing. Unless you don’t value your data, that is.

• Reply 14 of 17
    Maybe this will fix the dreaded iTunes Radio/Cox cable bug
  • Reply 15 of 17
    85% of the 85% of users probably don't back up their phones.

Your on a tech site - many people (probably most) who own iPhones don't have a Clue about computers, including your mom.

That said as a tech guy I also don't really understand what media you guys are concerned with. I can locally backup and restore without ever plugging in.

- Files synced on Dropbox or iCloud Drive and locally backed up with out plugging in.
    - music set up iTunes Match for $25 a year and keep a local copy w/o plugging in
    - photos/video sync with the photos app mostly reliably (I have a second app to check for missing syncs, it wirelessly syncs to my computer) then have the mac's photo library backed up nightly to a raid. And weekly to off site HD (it's the media I really care about) all without plugging in (could also use Amazon cloud drive or Dropbox)
    - movies, if your storing your library on your phone your a moron. Library is stored on local and raid.
    -books - Maybe this one - because it doesn't keep good track of non App Store books. Personally I have 2 copies on Dropbox one for iBooks and one for calibre. And also on the raid, no plugging in still

Phone prefs are on iCloud back up

What media is missing?

The only time I plug it into iTunes is if I'm buying a new phone. And all my content is on a raid without plugging in.

Seems stupid to plugin if you can get the same result without doing so. Trust the cloud (but also don't and keep local backup) you don't have to plugin

so says 85% of the people I know who I have talked to about 50% of it. At least that's what they say.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    This update FINALLY allows me to set song XIDs again, even if the text box is quite small. L Now I can really get into managing iTunes Extras for some of my albums! (Already have some fan made ones.) Thanks Jony.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    Quote:

Well, I sync my phone with iTunes on my Windows PC at least once per week.  And I've not enabled iCloud backup at all.

Of course, I'm paranoid.  I have a tendancy to wipe my phone on those occasions when certain authority figures might demand I turn it over to them.  It's only actually come to that once, but because of that one incident, I think I'm justified. :)