Moto 360, other smartwatches get price cuts ahead of Apple Watch launch

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited April 2015
Some rival smartwatches, such as the Android-based Moto 360, saw significant price cuts on Friday in a bid to keep up sales in the wake of Apple opening preorders for the Apple Watch.

In the US the Moto 360 is now available for as low as $179 or $180 at Amazon and Best Buy. The $179-$180 pricetags are for models with a leather band. People wanting a metal band have to pay $220 at Best Buy, or $229 at Amazon. Amazon is also offering a $270 "light" metal variant.

The 360 originally started at $250. It launched last September, and a second-generation model is rumored to be in development. Android Wear devices could soon be compatible with the iPhone, encroaching on the territory of the iPhone-only Apple Watch.

Earlier today, deals site Meh briefly offered refurbished MetaWatch models for just $15 plus shipping. The MetaWatch is both iPhone- and Android-compatible, but uses a black-and-white screen and dates back to 2013. At the time, it cost $179.

The Apple Watch starts at $349, and can potentially cost as much as $17,000 for a top-end rose gold unit. It remains to be seen if Apple's emphasis on fashion and more intricate design will outmatch price concerns and iPhone exclusivity when it comes to attracting shoppers.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 93
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Some rival smartwatches, such as the Android-based Moto 360, saw significant price cuts on Friday in a bid to keep up sales in the wake of Apple opening preorders for the Apple Watch.

As if that’s going to make people think twice about choosing the 360 over the Apple Watch.

• Reply 2 of 93
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    So basically what they're saying is the only way someone would buy this over ?Watch is if it's dirt cheap?
  • Reply 3 of 93

And that MetaWatch is some kinda seriously ugly paperweight. No one in their right mind would be caught dead in that thing. Can't wait till my Apple Watch gets here on the 24th!

• Reply 4 of 93
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,293member

You smell that?

Smells like fear...

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 85

• Reply 5 of 93
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

So basically what they're saying is the only way someone would buy this over ?Watch is if it's dirt cheap?

Although I preordered two Apple Watches (Apple Watch Sport, White Band, 42mm and an Apple Watch, Milanese Band, 42mm -- I'll only end up keeping one), at this price I might pick up a Moto 360 to use with my LG G3 work phone.

And if The Verge's report is accurate about Google working on an Android Wear iOS companion app, that would be even better as I could also use it with my iPhone 6. Unlike most people on AI, I actually prefer the rounded design of the Moto 360. All of my watches ever since I was a little kid have been round. It's what I'm most used to.

The only thing that bothers me about the Moto 360's design is the "flat tire" display.

• Reply 6 of 93
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Here comes the massacre of the also-rans. 

I can't watch...

• Reply 7 of 93
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Funny... What the Android smartwatch segment considers "sales", for Apple, it would be a rounding-error.

They could give it away for free, and pay may sales-tax and I still would not use such garbage.

• Reply 8 of 93
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Google/Android only has 2 strategies:

1. Copy Apple products

if that does not work then 

2. Lower the price

I cannot imagine how horrible computing would be right now if there was no Apple.  If it was just Google/Android/Microsoft we would still be stuck using physical keyboards on our phones.

Those jacka$$es should be grateful for having Apple as their R&D department.  Seriously.

• Reply 9 of 93
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,293member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Although I preordered two Apple Watches (Apple Watch Sport, White Band, 42mm and an Apple Watch, Milanese Band, 42mm -- I'll only end up keeping one), at this price I might pick up a Moto 360 to use with my LG G3 work phone.

And if The Verge's report is accurate about Google working on an Android Wear iOS companion app, that would be even better as I could also use it with my iPhone 6. Unlike most people on AI, I actually prefer the rounded design of the Moto 360. All of my watches ever since I was a little kid have been round. It's what I'm most used to.

The only thing that bothers me about the Moto 360's design is the "flat tire" display.

The Moto 360, along with all the other junker Android Wear devices, ARE flat tires! I've seen a 360 in person, what an UGLY piece of shit!

• Reply 10 of 93
    iaeeniaeen Posts: 588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MagMan1979 View Post

You smell that?

Smells like fear...

• Reply 11 of 93
    jensonbjensonb Posts: 532member
    Good god the Moto 360 is ugly. Why does the band attach at the base? Why would you do that? Why is it just a circle with a lump in it? Had they ever actually SEEN a watch or did they just ask a drunk person to describe one over the phone?
  • Reply 12 of 93
    Clearance sale, everything must go.
  • Reply 13 of 93
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    mazda 3s wrote: »

There's a rumor that the next one might not have that and possibly be launched at Google IO May 28th, which would explain the price cut to clear out old inventory the way resellers do for Apple products before events:

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/samsung-gear-motorola-moto-360-2-prepare-take-apple-watch-1495332

There's a conflicting rumor saying it will keep the flat tire design but that it will come in multiple sizes. Topolsky is wearing a 360 here and it looks like a standard mens watch:

[VIDEO]

The reviewer here said his mother thought it was too big but his friend said it was smaller than the watch he normally wears (G-Shock):

[VIDEO]

I think if it came in something like 1.5" and 1.3", maybe a bit thinner and without the flat bit, it would attract a wider audience. Apple considered buying Motorola years ago:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/06/magazine/and-then-steve-said-let-there-be-an-iphone.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

"Apple considered buying Motorola in 2003, but executives quickly concluded it would be too big an acquisition for the company then. (The two companies collaborated unsuccessfully a couple of years later.)"

The iTunes phone was made by Motorola and old PPC Macs used Motorola CPUs. Lenovo bought them out for $2.9b last year.
  • Reply 14 of 93
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

...Topolsky is wearing a 360 here and it looks like a standard mens watch...

Keep in mind that Topolsky is also freakishly large. :smokey:

• Reply 15 of 93
    robertcrobertc Posts: 118member
    Like another user pointed out, the band positioning is a bit strange on the Moto 360. There is also the problem of the massive size (46 mm), something I think Apple addressed pretty well with the two different sizes (42 mm and 38 mm) for the Apple Watch.  

At least the design and materials used in these smart-watches have been improving (but they still have a ways to go). For example, this 42 mm Huawei Watch uses stainless steel and sapphire in a water resistant body:

• Reply 16 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

There's a rumor that the next one might not have that and possibly be launched at Google IO May 28th, which would explain the price cut to clear out old inventory the way resellers do for Apple products before events:

I think if it came in something like 1.5" and 1.3", maybe a bit thinner and without the flat bit, it would attract a wider audience. Apple considered buying Motorola years ago:

Indeed. A few weeks ago, Lenovo's CEO is said to have leaked the upcoming design in this picture:

Along with the new design, there are also two different sizes that can be seen (possibly 42 mm and 38 mm).

• Reply 17 of 93
    Quote:

The Huwei watch is nicer than the 360.   But still not even close to the AppleWatch.  I would not take those photoshopped pictures of the Huwei watch seriously.  Real world pictures make it look much uglier.

I've seen the AppleWatch live and it is totally stunning.  On a totally other level compared to all the Android watches as far as looks go

I'm not too fond of that Huawei Watch either, but the Apple Watch looks ugly.

• Reply 18 of 93
    Quote:

You need to see it in real life.  

I did today.  The SS and Edition models are stunning.  Literally stunning.  They look better than $20k Rolex's

Possibly, but I doubt I'll share your sentiment (especially the latter portion).  I just don't find the form factor to be flattering.

That being said, this is just the start of things to come. Much like the first iPhone or iPad, the design will undergo refinement and the technology will improve.

• Reply 19 of 93
    lkrupp wrote: »
    As if that’s going to make people think twice about choosing the 360 over the Apple Watch.

Probably intended to capitalize on Apple Watch envy from Android phone users.
  • Reply 20 of 93
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:

Pictures don't fully explain how clownish the Moto360 looks like on an actual human.  

Yup. Moto360 was named the best looking android watch and in reality, it looks like POS on a person's wrist. Saw it in the real life: thick and bulky.