Is this mouse worth it?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Well I have had my New iMac for about a week and I love the look of this one button mouse and wish I could keep it but it's driving me crazy, I can't seem to get things done fairly fast, playing Return To Castle Wolfenstein is a task in itself, and it hurts my hand. So I was looking at the Microsoft Wireless IntelliMouse Explorer, does anyone have any comments on it? Is it worth $70.00? That's a lot of money for a mouse and I don't want to waste it if it isn't going to be any good. Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    For games I wouldn't recommend a wireless mouse. I've got the Logtiech Wireless and it's great for the most part, but I haven't heard good things about games and wireless.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    macaddictmacaddict Posts: 1,055member
    [quote]For games I wouldn't recommend a wireless mouse. I've got the Logtiech Wireless and it's great for the most part, but I haven't heard good things about games and wireless.<hr></blockquote>

Amen to that. Wireless mice suck donkey balls for gaming. Get a wired one. I've heard the Logitech Dual Optical is good, and also their iFeel mouse and standard optical mouse.

Personally I use the razer boomslang 2000. It's a ball mouse, but it's precise as hell. I go to my sister's computer and it's a pain in the ass to spend 5 hours to go from one corner of the screen to another. With my razer, I flick my mouse a tiny bit and ZOOM!
  • Reply 3 of 16
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I like the Intellimouse OPTICAL. It's cheaper, ambidextrous, and overall a really good mouse.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    I'll add my vote for the Kensington Optical Elite. I think it's everybit as good as the M$ mouse, plus there is native OSX software for it. And it's cheaper. And it works with righties and lefties. And it's not made by M$.

Oh, it glows blue, which looks cool with Aqua.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    fonerootfoneroot Posts: 102member
    Well I went to Best Buy and I found that the Microsoft Wireless was marked $49 in the computer sections part and $69 in the mouse section so I said alright, I will try it sense they messed up the price. So I set it up and started up Wolfenstein. Please don't remind me of that experience again. Basically it's very slow and inaccurate. So by the end of the time playing I end up using the Apple Pro Mouse, and that felt so much better then the wireless! So I'm taking it back tomorrow and getting a Logitech MouseMan Dual Optical. I hope that works out better for me. Anyways the lesson to this experience is for me is: Cords Rule!

Edit: Surfing and such are alright I suppose, but I personally don't like the feel of it.

[ 05-02-2002: Message edited by: foneroot ]</p>
  • Reply 6 of 16
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    I think there's also something about MS mice sampling slowly. They just seem so jerky.

And boomslang boy, I like my mice slow as hell. I like even better the Wacom 12x12 tablet I use to have.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    [quote]Originally posted by Splinemodel:

<strong>I think there's also something about MS mice sampling slowly. They just seem so jerky.

And boomslang boy, I like my mice slow as hell. I like even better the Wacom 12x12 tablet I use to have.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Why do you like your mouse slow?
  • Reply 8 of 16
    Well I took it back and picked up a Logitech MouseMan Dual Optical, and it's one of the best mouses I have owned. It's just wonderful - smooth, fast, precise, great feeling to it. I previously owned a Microsoft Optical with a PC before I went to Mac and this blows it away. I'm loving it

Edit: Does anyone have an idea when Logitech will release a driver for it? It would be cool if I could use this back button on it

[ 05-04-2002: Message edited by: foneroot ]</p>
  • Reply 9 of 16
    [quote]Originally posted by foneroot:

<strong>

Edit: Does anyone have an idea when Logitech will release a driver for it? It would be cool cool if I could use this back button on it

[ 05-02-2002: Message edited by: foneroot ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Logitech's got beta drives on their website, but I'd suggest just using <a href="http://www.usboverdrive"; target="_blank">USB Overdrive</a>.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    jutusjutus Posts: 272member
    Logitech Mouseman Optical dual sensor.

It rocks. I use it primarily for Urban Terror (http://urbanterror.net).

No lag, no loss of resolution, lots of optical sensor goodness.

Never have I been so happy with my mouse.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    dstranathandstranathan Posts: 1,717member
    I too have a Logitech dual-optical mouse. It is great. It is a tad heavy, but some gamers like that. It tracks well, has a 6' (!) usb cable, and is pretty comfortable. It is designed for right-handers only-sorry.

I am playing Wolfenstein now, and it is great. I also used it for Urban Terror, Quake 3, Unreal, etc. The mouse has 3 main buttons (counting the wheel button), plus a (left) side button, and a wheel. I wish it had a pinky (right side) button, but oh well!

It is a very cool color of silver and grey that looks nice with TiBook and QuickSilver G4s.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    [quote]Originally posted by EmAn:

<strong>

Logitech's got beta drives on their website, but I'd suggest just using <a href="http://www.usboverdrive"; target="_blank">USB Overdrive</a>.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Thanks! I installed USB Overdrive, works great, button is working now
  • Reply 13 of 16
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    [quote]Originally posted by EmAn:

<strong>

Why do you like your mouse slow?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Why do you like your mouse fast?

Let me answer this question for you: You don't like moving your hand.

So I like my mouse slow because I do like moving my hand. Pretty simple, isn't it? I also do a lot of graphics work, and a slow tracking speed allows more control on them bezier control points.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    junkyard dawgjunkyard dawg Posts: 2,801member
    I've got a Logitech myself, a nice two button scrollwheel mouse (the wheel also acts as a button, very cool), and it cost $30. Unless you're the sort who likes 8 buttons on their mouse, there is no reason to spend more than $50 on a new mouse.

Whatever you decide on for a new mouse, you should recoup some of the cost by selling your Apple Pro Mouse on eBay.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    [quote]Originally posted by Splinemodel:

<strong>

Why do you like your mouse fast?

Let me answer this question for you: You don't like moving your hand.

So I like my mouse slow because I do like moving my hand. Pretty simple, isn't it? I also do a lot of graphics work, and a slow tracking speed allows more control on them bezier control points.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Good enough reason.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    Well I just ran into a little problem. I just did a System Restore and went to reinstall USB Overdrive but this time I actually read the directions, and I put USB Overdrive in Applications like it said, before I didn't, I just installed off the disk, which it say not to do. But anyways now my back button isn't working like it did last time, and when I go into USB Overdrive it doesn't show an option for a back button for it. How do I fix this?