WebMD, CareEvolution, other firms announce healthcare apps for Apple Watch

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited May 2015
WebMD, CareEvolution, and a variety of other healthcare companies today announced new apps for the Apple Watch, capable of handling tasks like medication reminders and sharing electronic records.

WebMD said it is working on an update of its iPhone app which will include a Medication Reminder function. Notifications will include images of the medication, the amount to take, and when to take it. Users will be prompted to log whether they've taken or skipped a dose -- alternately they can hit a 15-minute snooze button, or just dismiss a notification entirely.

Glances will let users check when the next dose is due. The updated WebMD app is due on April 24, the same day the Watch ships.

CareEvolution's effort is a collaboration with health insurer Anthem, and will see the former's Collaborative Family Health Record app onthe iPhone, recently updated, push notifications to the Watch from both Anthem and healthcare providers. These will include medical and plan management information such as forgotten refills, possible drug interactions, and recommending screenings.

drchrono has developed a Watch app that will let physicians access electronic records and check messages from patients or coworkers. Glances will display an user's upcoming appointment schedule.

HealthTap is preparing to launch DocNow, an extension of its iOS app that will connect Watch owners to a doctor for $3 per minute. Users will be able to communicate via voice or HD video, though video will require pulling out an iPhone. Notably, users will be able transmit health data from a Watch to help with diagnosis.

Medisafe is planning to update its iPhone app with medication reminders similar to those of WebMD, but is specifically promising to make use of Force Touch commands to open up more options.

Many developers are rushing to complete Watch apps by the 24th. Although the WatchKit development framework has been available since last year, final details like a release date were only announced on March 9, and relatively few developers have had hands-on time with the device.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    Trust me. This device is not just a watch but will evolve into personal assistance for younger to older from sports, other daily activities companion to more complex communication device for people in field. Unlike phone, potential for this watch is unlimited. Future is here.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    macvictamacvicta Posts: 346member
    Watch looks more intriguing by the day. Still think I'll wait for the 2ndGen though.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    rmb0037rmb0037 Posts: 142member
    This....is so cool....
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MacVicta View Post

Watch looks more intriguing by the day. Still think I'll wait for the 2ndGen though.

That's my plan, too! :)

• Reply 5 of 8
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,949member
    Waiting for mine. Will sell it on Craig's List as soon as 2.0 comes out (if I find the ?Watch compelling).
  • Reply 6 of 8
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Hmm... These are both good ideas for apps and services.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

And so it begins. 

It's as if not only the tech sector but huge swathes of the services sector were all waiting on Apple.

• Reply 8 of 8
    anniekidanniekid Posts: 1member
    drchrono also has their EHR application on the Apple Watch; enables providers to send text messages to the patient, refill prescripions and schedule appointments. I recommend checking it out - www.drchrono.com!