15M Americans say they'll buy an Apple Watch, Reuters poll finds

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited April 2015
Apple could sell as many as 15 million Apple Watches this year, new survey data suggests, as some 6 percent of U.S. adults --?mostly men --?say they plan to purchase one of the new wrist-worn devices.

Of those surveyed, interest was highest among adults in their 30s, according to Reuters. Some 13 percent of that group intends to buy a Watch, compared to 10 percent for consumers between 18 and 29 years of age.

The latter cohort was more interested in the gadget overall, however, and 53 percent of those trumpeted the Watch's "cool factor." The data was collected from an online poll of 1,829 individuals between April 8 and 14.

Apple's new wearable appears to be more popular among men than women, as 9 percent of the former have purchase intent versus just 4 percent of the latter.

Additionally, 15 percent of respondents who own an iPhone intend to buy an Apple Watch. The Watch would drive 8 percent of those who currently use a different handset to consider switching.

There is no word yet on how many Watches Apple sold during launch weekend, though most estimates place the number at around 1 million.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 61
    adrayvenadrayven Posts: 460member
    I wanted the black leather buckle, but it's only 38mm.. I'd do like the link band, but $450 for a band, costing more than the total sum of the sport itself, is nuts..

I'll wait for 3rd parties to release a more economically priced link band and stick with the sport band until then.
  • Reply 2 of 61
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    It will be way more!
  • Reply 3 of 61
    alphafoxalphafox Posts: 132member
    delete
  • Reply 4 of 61
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    adrayven wrote: »
    I wanted the black leather buckle, but it's only 38mm.. I'd do like the link band, but $450 for a band, costing more than the total sum of the sport itself, is nuts..

it's really not. take a look at other high-quality linked bracelets and youll see. and most of those require visits to the jeweler for his special tools to remove links. so $450 for a high-quality bracelet that also saves you time & money holds value.
  • Reply 6 of 61
    Stats 101. 15 million people didn't say anything. Details like this confirm that you're a rumor site, not a news site.
  • Reply 7 of 61
    usb-usb- Posts: 22member

Impressive

• Reply 8 of 61
    What a flop.
  • Reply 9 of 61
    supadav03supadav03 Posts: 503member
    There are actually a bunch of places selling bands already. I saw a link braclet on Amazon (with basically every other style as well) being sold by third parties for half the price. The link braclet Apple sells is $450 and the third party band was $225. I'd assume at that price the quality would be ok, but who knows.

http://www.amazon.com/MyCell-Bracelet-Replacement-Apple-Watch/dp/B00UGHK8EK
  • Reply 10 of 61
    jm6032jm6032 Posts: 147member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by thismarty View Post

What a flop.

I assume you're talking about the Apple Watch in general. I disagree. I was there when the iPhone was introduced. It was a bit difficult to grasp that the iPhone was actually a computer that could also make phone calls. Now, the Apple Watch is a computer that also tells time.

I believe that the Apple Watch will follow the same trajectory as the iPhone did after introduction. We really don't know it's full potential. But, unlike the iPhone, software developemnt for the Apple Watch is already in process. Let's not let our minds be limited by what we generically think a watch should do. This isn't a watch...

• Reply 11 of 61
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    I think (hope) he was being sarcastic.
  • Reply 12 of 61
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member

Popularity of apple watch will keep increasing as people finds more usage with new apps. This is just a beginning of a long road to apple watch success. When more apps turn up to make it real health companion and personal communication assistance than the sky is the limit.

• Reply 13 of 61
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member

15 Million Americans did not say any such thing...

About 1,100 of the sort of people who are online a lot and take surveys said it.

It'll be nice if there are this many sales, or two times 15m, or eight times 15m,

but this is hardly any kind of a representative sample,

and the headline should be phrased more responsibly, imho.

• Reply 14 of 61
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jm6032 View Post

I believe that the Apple Watch will follow the same trajectory as the iPhone did after introduction. 

Doubt it. Don't get me wrong, I think it will do very well, however it is not in the same league as the iPhone. Everyone needs a phone. Not everyone needs a smart watch. After all it is just an accessory not a true stand alone device. I'll pick one up after the demand cools off, but for me it is just an interesting novelty, not a must have technology like the iPhone.

• Reply 15 of 61
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member

Cue Brlawyer having an amazing insight into why AppleWatch is a dismal failure.  He knows everything.  He's a legend in his own mind.

• Reply 16 of 61
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by thismarty View Post

What a flop.

This is a first generation product with known deficiencies (battery, tethering requirements, others) and uncertain use cases.

15 M people already want it in the US alone.  Perhaps almost double that worldwide.  Perhaps even more when people see how friends use them.

And you call that a flop?

I call that a tremendous start, and I see big gains when (not if) the deficiencies are mitigated and the use cases start to multiply.

• Reply 17 of 61
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boredumb View Post

15 Million Americans did not say any such thing...

About 1,100 of the sort of people who are online a lot and take surveys said it.

It'll be nice if there are this many sales, or two times 15m, or eight times 15m,

but this is hardly any kind of a representative sample,

and the headline should be phrased more responsibly, imho.

Allow me to introduce you to the concept of sampling, used for everything from opinion polling to the US Census. It's perfectly valid to extrapolate from a sample, provided that the sample is properly stratified.

• Reply 18 of 61
    muadibemuadibe Posts: 134member
    Ordered the aluminium sport watch with blue band since the black wasn't standard - a mistake I believe. On the same day, I ordered black and Milanese loop band replacements from Amazon. They ship on the 30th. I'm hoping they are good enough replacements.

My plan is to experiment with this first generation. Gen two is likely to be thinner and pack more sensors. Then I'll get the casing I would want to keep - stainless steel with sapphire.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_0_4?url=search-alias=electronics&field-keywords=mycell&sprefix=Myce,aps,248
  • Reply 19 of 61
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Doubt it. Don't get me wrong, I think it will do very well, however it is not in the same league as the iPhone. Everyone needs a phone. Not everyone needs a smart watch. After all it is just an accessory not a true stand alone device. I'll pick one up after the demand cools off, but for me it is just an interesting novelty, not a must have technology like the iPhone.

I sort of agree for this first incarnation, but the ?Watch will eventually be stand alone.  The first iPhone was also constrained (No 3G, horrible battery life, no apps) but as it got better, so did its desirability.

I think the ?Watch will surprise as the apps and use cases make themselves more apparent.  We may look back one day and wonder when and how the ?Watch transformed from a novelty to a must-have.  I am betting that it will eventually happen.

So I wouldn't cast aside the notion that it may follow an iPhone-like trajectory in terms of unit sales over the years.  It may start out with a disadvantage of being a novelty, but it likewise has some advantages of being a global launch into a much larger and more rabid fanbase.  If the battery and tethering issues are removed and some use cases materialize, this may head towards the 100+ M units per year category faster than iPhone did.

• Reply 20 of 61
    sacto joesacto joe Posts: 895member
    jm6032 wrote: »
    I assume you're talking about the Apple Watch in general. I disagree. I was there when the iPhone was introduced. It was a bit difficult to grasp that the iPhone was actually a computer that could also make phone calls. Now, the Apple Watch is a computer that also tells time.

I believe that the Apple Watch will follow the same trajectory as the iPhone did after introduction. We really don't know it's full potential. But, unlike the iPhone, software developemnt for the Apple Watch is already in process. Let's not let our minds be limited by what we generically think a watch should do. This isn't a watch...
    Actually, unlike the cell/smartphone market, Apple will OWN this market from the get-go. This device will reach unbelievable heights as a result. It'll be a full year before anyone will be in a position to field a solidly competing wrist computer. By then, Apple will have an installed base measured in the tens of millions. And that's just the beginning....