Apple fixes sporadic startup woes with OS X 10.10.3 supplemental update

Posted:
in macOS edited April 2015
A video driver glitch that caused some Mac users to experience startup trouble under OS X 10.10.3 was addressed by Apple on Wednesday with a supplemental update to the company's venerable desktop operating system.

Appearing in the updates tab of the Mac App Store under the slightly redundant heading "OS X Yosemite 10.10.3 Supplemental Update 10.10.3," the latest revision "fixes a video driver issue that may prevent your Mac from starting up when running certain apps that capture video."

Word of the bug first surfaced last week, as users reported significantly lengthened startup times compared to their systems' behavior under OS X 10.10.2. Some found that clearing their Mac's PRAM solved the problem, others found salvation in resetting their startup disk selection in System Preferences, while many were unable to come to a resolution.

Another issue, in which opening large JPEG files using QuickLook or Preview can cause a Mac running 10.10.3 to crash, appears yet to be addressed.

The supplemental update, a rarity for Apple, comes just over one week after the release of OS X 10.10.3.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member

10.10.3 took away the splendid HiDPI modes and 60Hz refresh rates with my 4K monitor and Mac Edition video card available with 10.10.2 and SwitchResX. This supplement does nothing to resolve that.

• Reply 2 of 12
    brlawyerbrlawyer Posts: 828member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

10.10.3 took away the splendid HiDPI modes and 60Hz refresh rates with my 4K monitor and Mac Edition video card available through SwitchResX. This supplement does nothing to resolve that.

Isn't it because 10.10.3 has officially expanded support for 4K monitors with 60Hz now? In other words, have you tried using the Displays control panel directly?

On a related note, I did not face any issues with JPEG - but installed the update anyway. 

• Reply 3 of 12
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    cpsro wrote: »
    10.10.3 took away the splendid HiDPI modes and 60Hz refresh rates with my 4K monitor and Mac Edition video card available through SwitchResX. This supplement does nothing to resolve that.

NDA people!
  • Reply 4 of 12
    NDA people!

Huh?
  • Reply 5 of 12
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member
    cpsro wrote: »

NDA people!

Unfortunate that folx view their word worth no more than it is (signature on an NDA and subsequent disregard for same) really does show a lack of character IMHO. The old saw about how 'many had already talked about it before them' does not excuse this behavior.
    </soapbox>
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Quote:

Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

Isn't it because 10.10.3 has officially expanded support for 4K monitors with 60Hz now? In other words, have you tried using the Displays control panel directly?

Displays shows only 30 Hz refresh available under 10.10.3, but showed both 30 and 60 Hz under 10.10.2.

My 4k monitor supports 60 Hz operation at 3840x2160 over DP 1.2, and did so beautifully under 10.10.2.

• Reply 7 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

Unfortunate that folx view their word worth no more than it is (signature on an NDA and subsequent disregard for same) really does show a lack of character IMHO. The old saw about how 'many had already talked about it before them' does not excuse this behavior.

LOL!!! I can only surmise that there's a confidential Apple discussion thread on this topic that at least one person here has now divulged against the terms of the NDA to which they agreed. Well, I'm not a party to that discussion. My information is first hand and no NDA applies. :p 

• Reply 8 of 12
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

NDA people!

Huh?

This is publicly released software not a beta.

• Reply 9 of 12
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

10.10.3 took away the splendid HiDPI modes and 60Hz refresh rates with my 4K monitor and Mac Edition video card available with 10.10.2 and SwitchResX. This supplement does nothing to resolve that.

I'd roll back to 10.10.2 if that was the case for me.

• Reply 10 of 12
    krawallkrawall Posts: 162member

It's really odd. since 10.10.3 I had some weird issues and even installed that update just before problem remains (on first reboot anyway).

I'm running clamshell on two 27inch Thunderbolts.

On power on, I do get the filevault unlock password box on one of the 27inch displays, then I hear a bit of clicking from my external USB devices that would indicate a normal startup, but no image on either screen. When I open the clamshelled rMBP then there's no image either on the built-in display. Only power toggle helps upon which I have to first unlock the file vault on the built-in screen and can only close clam shell once I get the final login screen. Then I can close clamshell mode again and it works... for a while...

I was really hoping this update fixes that, but seems not. Well I don't run apps that capture video, ... not sure that update was supposed to help me anyway.

• Reply 11 of 12
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Douglas Bailey View Post

Huh?

This is publicly released software not a beta.

Exacty the point I was trying to make - some people are just weird.

• Reply 12 of 12
    I'd settle for being able to reliably connect to my WiFi router after the 10.10.3 "upgrade"! Sheesh, I hope they fix that soon.