Apple to offer 'Apple Watch Basics' Workshops at retail stores starting April 24

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited April 2015
Apple's retail website was recently updated to reflect upcoming availability of a new Workshop called Apple Watch Basics, suggesting the company plans to roll out device training sessions for early Watch buyers from day one.

The Apple Watch Basics workshop is showing up as a Concierge option on a few individual Apple Store pages, allowing customers to set appointments for April 24 at locations like Xidan Joy City in China. Reservations can also be made through the Apple Store iOS app.

Describing what to expect from the session, Apple writes, "Bring your Apple Watch -- along with your iPhone -- and get familiar with your most personal device yet. We'll show you how to get started using Glances, gestures, watch faces, and more."

As noted by MacRumors, which spotted the workshop option earlier today, most Apple Stores currently offering Apple Watch Basics workshops hold the sessions every 90 minutes, though only select locations have reservations open for launch day.

It is unclear if Apple is planning a global workshop rollout, though reservations are currently limited to a small number of stores. Interestingly, some major flagship stores, like the Fifth Avenue outlet in New York, are not yet accepting reservations despite their proximity to huge pockets of potential customers.

Apple offers a number of in-store workshops designed to help customers better understand newly purchased products, whether it be hardware or software. Classes vary store-to-store, but most make staff available to help guide users with iPhone, iPad, Mac and major software releases.

Apple Watch owners can check with their local Apple Store for workshop availability. After seeing massive demand eat up launch supply within minutes of going live, it seems Apple is also extending workshop reservations to preorder customers who have to wait weeks, or in some cases months, for their Watch to arrive.

While Apple declined to release official preorder numbers, analysts speculate early adopters purchased upwards of one million Apple Watch units during its first weekend of sales. Noted analyst Ming-Chi Kuo pegged preorders to be closer to 2.3 million. In any case, supply is such that Apple told employees on Thursday not to expect in-store Watch purchases until June, at the earliest.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    This is such an important weapon that Apple has over everyone else, that short-sighted morons can't understand. The ability to educate consumers. People troll that "nobody wants a watch"? Well, Apple will convince people as to WHY they would want one.
  • Reply 2 of 22

I really, really, really want one! It's a very frustrating wait - waiting for it to launch here.

• Reply 3 of 22
    I think the in store sales may be even later than June, I pre-ordered my Apple Watch on release day after trying it on and was told by the staff member that the shipping time was around 4-6 weeks. My order status currently says, dispatching June. I can't see that they would be able to fulfil all the pre-orders leading up to June and still have a big enough stock to release in store in June also.
  • Reply 4 of 22
    tenlytenly Posts: 710member
    I really, really, really want one! It's a very frustrating wait - waiting for it to launch here.
    Will I be able to jailbreak my Apple Watch and install the Galaxy Gear software on it? /s
  • Reply 5 of 22
    I can't see than being on sale in stores by June. I went into the Apple Store on launch day, tried on and purchased my AppleWatch that morning and was told by the staff that shipping would take 4-6 weeks.
    Now, my order is showing a dispatch date of June.
    So I can't see them ramping up production to a rate of fulfilling current orders and further pre-orders in time to launch in store by June.
  • Reply 6 of 22
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    tenly wrote: »
    Will I be able to jailbreak my Apple Watch and install the Galaxy Gear software on it? /s

Yes. /s
  • Reply 7 of 22
    danielswdanielsw Posts: 906member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

This is such an important weapon that Apple has over everyone else, that short-sighted morons can't understand. The ability to educate consumers. People troll that "nobody wants a watch"? Well, Apple will convince people as to WHY they would want one.

I agree. And I'd add that we're just beginning to see the uses to which the ?Watch can and will be put.

An interesting one I came across is a metronome app which uses "taptic." Now there's some innovation which will help countless musicians and performers keep track of their rhythms.

• Reply 8 of 22
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    This is the headline on 9to5Mac:

[QUOTE]Apple Watch user-interface still seems confusing? There’s a workshop for that …[/QUOTE]

Um last time I checked Apple stores have workshops on lots of things. My local store has ones on iPhone, iPad and Mac basics. Why are some sites trying to spin this as ?Watch is so confusing the stores have to hold workshops on it? :rolleyes:
  • Reply 9 of 22
    danielsw wrote: »

An interesting one I came across is a metronome app which uses "taptic." Now there's some innovation which will help countless musicians and performers keep track of their rhythms.

Someone -- I forget who -- had come up with this idea on these boards a few days ago.

I hope it'll get AirPlay functionality at some point. Should be a fairly easy software fix for Apple?
  • Reply 10 of 22
    macgizmomacgizmo Posts: 102member
    Seems silly to offer the classes for the watch when very few (if anyone) will actually have the watch yet.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    "Lesson 1. Here's how you pay way too much money for something..."
  • Reply 12 of 22
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    sog35 wrote: »
    since when is several million very few?

Troll much?
    Several million have the watch right now?

A few million may have a preorder receipt, but the amount of people that have one right now likely numbers in the hundred or low thousands.

Still your raging auto-retort.
  • Reply 13 of 22
    Wow, the frustration level of controlling the amount, volume, and intensity of the tech delivered by an Apple Watch must be great enough to require instruction.

As we see the rollout progress it would appear that Apple may have concerns about users wearing the Watch sporadically rather than all the time.. It would seem that simply controlling the device is an art not easily grasped.

The Apple Watch, CNET's reviewer said, "requires a lot of attention".

Interesting.
  • Reply 14 of 22
    macgizmomacgizmo Posts: 102member
    Since when is 2 million considered "several"? And those are preorders, not shipped units. Only a few thousand people in the U.S. will actually have the watch on the 24th.
    sog35 wrote: »
    since when is several million very few?
  • Reply 15 of 22
    tenlytenly Posts: 710member
    macgizmo wrote: »
    Since when is 2 million considered "several"? And those are preorders, not shipped units. Only a few thousand people in the U.S. will actually have the watch on the 24th.

The fact that only a "handful" of people will have them by the 24th kind of implies that this is not so much a "training" program to teach people how to use their new watch. It's more like an advertising/marketing ploy to get people who haven't yet preordered excited by how much it can do, how easy it is to use and how great it looks and feels on their wrist! It's a brilliant strategy!
  • Reply 16 of 22
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BestKeptSecret View Post

I'm different. I just cancelled my pre-order for Apr 24 delivery yesterday after went to Apple store to try on the watch. 38mm is too small for me and I would say for any man on the planet too. So, I order Space Gray 42mm Sport. It looks subtle as well as elegant. I was torn between SS and Sport, but decided to save $200 for not having the shiny finish /s...well Sapphire screen too.

• Reply 17 of 22
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

This is the headline on 9to5Mac:

Um last time I checked Apple stores have workshops on lots of things. My local store has ones on iPhone, iPad and Mac basics. Why are some sites trying to spin this as ?Watch is so confusing the stores have to hold workshops on it? image

The ? Watch's taptic engine presents an entirely new "language" for how a device communicates with you, and there's no way it's going to be instantly as intuitive as press, drag, pinch-to-zoom, listen to Siri feedback, etc.

So I do believe that this new platform will, in fact, have a much steeper learning curve than what Apple has presented to us before.  Apple supporters (like those of us here) are going to reject this and say, "no way, can't be so!" and the Apple detractors will laugh out loud when it actually proves to be so.

How about we just get in front of the train and acknowledge that there will be some learning to do in this new world, but that when all is said and done, Apple will show that they are STILL the kings of the elegant human interface.

• Reply 18 of 22
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Someone -- I forget who -- had come up with this idea on these boards a few days ago.

I hope it'll get AirPlay functionality at some point. Should be a fairly easy software fix for Apple?

If I understand correctly, the usefulness of this app is that it will be tapping you quietly on the wrist to help you keep your time.   How would you employ AirPlay functionality?

• Reply 19 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ronstark View Post

Wow, the frustration level of controlling the amount, volume, and intensity of the tech delivered by an Apple Watch must be great enough to require instruction.

As we see the rollout progress it would appear that Apple may have concerns about users wearing the Watch sporadically rather than all the time.. It would seem that simply controlling the device is an art not easily grasped.

The Apple Watch, CNET's reviewer said, "requires a lot of attention".

Interesting.

There is a whole new language that needs to be learned (different types of "tap" on the wrist) and it had to be developed by convention instead of intuition.  In the past, Apple was able to just build intuitive things based on sight, sound, and touch.  But "taps" coming back to you from a device... there's very little experience to draw intuition from.  Of course there will be a learning curve.  This is not something that Apple bashers should crow over nor Apple fanboys (like me) should defend against.

Get ready for it, and watch Apple train the people to use this new platform in an elegant manner.  Then watch all of the smartwatch vendors build in "taptic engines" of their own and Google adopt the same tap language that Apple determined was best.  

• Reply 20 of 22
    Quote:

Originally Posted by thompr View Post

If I understand correctly, the usefulness of this app is that it will be tapping you quietly on the wrist to help you keep your time.   

Yes, that is exactly what that person had described on AI. I am forgetting his name.

Quote:

Originally Posted by thompr View Post

How would you employ AirPlay functionality?

At a minimum, it would be great to have the convenience of anything streamed form the iPhone (photos, music, who knows, some day, video) to be played through my TV or stereo. If I do screen shots of a short document (e.g., Keynote presentation, PDF or Pages file), I can project that on to an AirPlay-enabled screen.

There are also some things like music that the Watch can stream on its own (I think it can store photos too?), so I could stream those via an AirPlay-enabled device independently of the iPhone.