Apple publishes Apple Watch Guided Tours for Apple Pay, Activity and Workout [updated with video]

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited April 2015
Apple on Wednesday posted the last three Guided Tours for Apple Watch, showing off Apple Pay, Activity and Workout functionality.

With Apple Pay, Activity and Workout videos now live, the Guided Tours section of Apple's dedicated Apple Watch mini-site is now complete. Today's additions join video demos of Messages, faces, Digital Touch, phone calls, Siri, Maps and Music.

Like past tours, Apple walks viewers through the setup process and explains the benefits of each feature. For Apple Pay, the narrator describes adding a credit card already linked with iTunes, as well as adding a new card through the Apple Watch iPhone app. Users can set up Watch for payments by simply entering a given card's security code, though in some cases banks may require two-step verification.

Double-clicking the side button brings up a user's default card, while swiping cycles through other options provisioned through the Apple Watch app on iPhone. After initial setup, users can pay at compatible point of sale terminals without taking out their iPhone.

Activity tracks three fitness goals visualized as three rings: standing once per hour, tracking personal calorie burn and accumulating brisk activity. Opening the app for the first time, users enter in a few personal information like sex, age, weight and normal activity level. This helps the app make accurate assessments for a more personalized experience.

Apple also announced upcoming availability for a standalone Activity app on iPhone that will sync progress from Watch, to be displayed as rings, graphs, metrics and more. The Activity video also runs through reminders, awards and data storage via the Health app.

Finally, Workout covers built in exercise regimens and tracking aided by Apple Watch's sensor suite or an external Bluetooth-enabled fitness device. Users can set workout goals based on calories or time, as well as distance goals for indoor/outdoor running and walking and cycling. Workout sessions can be tracked in real-time with either a ring visualization or numeric metrics such as distance traveled, calories burned and time.

More detailed metrics, as well as a workout history, can be viewed in the Apple Watch and Health apps on iPhone.

Apple Watch is set to ship out to preorder customers on Friday. Earlier today, a number of customers reported seeing preorders originally scheduled to arrive in May or June as being "prepared for shipment." Apple later confirmed that orders are shipping out earlier than expected.

Update: This article has been updated to reflect Apple announcement of the iPhone Activity app.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,088member
    It's naive to believe the rollout of these launch videos is not pre-planned
  • Reply 2 of 23
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    The apple pay one doesn't clarify if it will work without being currently connected to your iPhone.
  • Reply 3 of 23
    iaeeniaeen Posts: 588member
    eightzero wrote: »
    The apple pay one doesn't clarify if it will work without being currently connected to your iPhone.

It will.
  • Reply 4 of 23
    The Activity app appears on your iPhone when you pair it to the watch?
  • Reply 5 of 23
    iaeen wrote: »
    It will.

Cool. Strange the video doesn't say that. It's an important feature, as is the rumored security features for a lost watch. Eg disabling apple pay
  • Reply 6 of 23

Those tours illustrate very well-designed apps tailored to the specific hardware -- and should provide a fantastic user experience.

I can hardly waiy for my family to get their watches, then for WWDC where I suspect, they will expose more APIs -- and allow developers to write native apps.

It appears that Siri is fast and powerful on the Watch ... It must also be very battery efficient -- current iDevices must be connected to power for "Hey Siri" to work.

All-in-all, it looks like Apple has done quite a thorough job -- leaving competitors in the dust!

Not too long from now, we'll look back and realize what a tipping point the Apple Watch is in providing human convenience and fulfillment.

Easily, the biggest thing that Apple has ever done!
  • Reply 7 of 23
    iaeen wrote: »
    It will.

Cool. Strange the video doesn't say that. It's an important feature, as is the rumored security features for a lost watch. Eg disabling apple pay

When the Watch leaves your wrist, Apple Pay is disabled on the Watch.
  • Reply 8 of 23
    iaeeniaeen Posts: 588member

I don't know why Apple is being so light on details. Fortunately there is a fairly comprehensive article on cnet about it.

http://www.cnet.com/uk/how-to/how-to-set-up-and-use-apple-pay-on-the-apple-watch/
  • Reply 9 of 23
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member

I just watched every single video about the Apple watch. Good stuff. 

• Reply 10 of 23
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

I hope I'm not the only one using Safari for whom the Apple Watch videos are a complete mess. The audio continues to play after the videos have stopped, the video is spotty, and other problems. Not the greatest viewing experience for my money. I wonder what is the issue...

• Reply 11 of 23
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I hope I'm not the only one using Safari for whom the Apple Watch videos are a complete mess. The audio continues to play after the videos have stopped, the video is spotty, and other problems. Not the greatest viewing experience for my money. I wonder what is the issue...

I used Safari. Not sure what your problem is. 

• Reply 12 of 23

The workout video told me two important things I didn't know about AppleWatch before. 1. That while using the watch in conjuntion with an iPhone during a walk, run or outdoor bike ride will be helpful, it's not completely necessary to have the phone. Especially once the accelerometer learns your habits. And 2. You can pair a bluetooth heart rate chest strap to the watch.

• Reply 13 of 23
    mechanicmechanic Posts: 805member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by eightzero View Post

once the cards are verified the apple watch gets a unique device id just like iPhone and does not need the phone after that for apple pay

• Reply 14 of 23
    mechanicmechanic Posts: 805member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

My safari plays them flawlessly. You must have something going wrong on your mac.

• Reply 15 of 23
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

I watched them fine on my iPad but Safari on iOS is kind of garbage right now. I'm hoping iOS 9 makes it better.
  • Reply 16 of 23
    idreyidrey Posts: 647member
    "Apple Watch is set to ship out to preorder customers on Friday. Earlier today, a number of customers reported seeing preorders originally scheduled to arrive in May or June as being "prepared for shipment." Apple later confirmed that orders are shipping out earlier than expected."

Wait what? So I still have hope to get mine which has a 4/24-5/8 date ????
  • Reply 17 of 23
    Quote:

Originally Posted by idrey View Post

"Apple Watch is set to ship out to preorder customers on Friday. Earlier today, a number of customers reported seeing preorders originally scheduled to arrive in May or June as being "prepared for shipment." Apple later confirmed that orders are shipping out earlier than expected."

Wait what? So I still have hope to get mine which has a 4/24-5/8 date ????

I have that same date, and I'm REALLY hoping it arrives Friday.  Very excited to try it out.

• Reply 18 of 23
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Oak View Post

It's naive to believe the rollout of these launch videos is not pre-planned

"Pre-planned"?  I think you just mean "planned".

Then again, I really don't know what you mean. It sounds like you are trying to suggest that Apple actually plans it's actions. That's quite ludicrous, of course. It's obvious everything that happens at Apple is purely by chance.

• Reply 19 of 23
    bobschlob wrote: »

"Pre-planned"?  I think you just mean "planned".
    Then again, I really don't know what you mean. It sounds like you are trying to suggest that Apple actually plans it's actions. That's quite ludicrous, of course. It's obvious everything that happens at Apple is purely by chance.

Lmaol
  • Reply 20 of 23
    Mean while I just got this email ????

We're working on your order
    Dear me:

Your Apple Watch will be delivered between April 24th and May 8th. When your order ships, we'll send you an email with a specific delivery date and tracking information.

To help you get started and learn about the amazing things you can do with Apple Watch, please see our Guided Tour videos.

Apple Watch requires iPhone 5, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, or iPhone 6 Plus with iOS 8.2 or later. Please take a moment to check that your iPhone is up to date.

Thank you for choosing Apple.

Sincerely,

Apple Store