Apple under fire once again for inconsistent App Store rule enforcement

Posted:
in iPhone edited April 2015
Apple's App Store review policies have found yet another unwanted spotlight after the company allegedly rejected an iOS app update because its developer mentioned Pebble's competing smartwatch in the app's metadata.

The rejection was reported on Thursday by the developer of SeaNav US, a marine navigation app that allows users to receive notifications on a Pebble device. Apple rejected the update for violating section 3.1 of the App store review guidelines, which prohibit developers from mentioning "the name of any other mobile platform" in their app or app metadata.

"Specifically, your app and app description declare support for the Pebble Smartwatch," the notice is quoted as saying.

The prohibition against promoting other mobile platforms has long been in place, but is only sporadically enforced. SeaNav's developers have included the Pebble-specific language in previous updates without incident, and the version currently available in the App Store includes "Support for Pebble Smartwatch" in the description.

It's unclear whether this move represents a change in Apple corporate policy --?considering other smartwatches as competing platforms, rather than simply iOS accessories --?or if this is simply the latest example of inconsistency among App Store reviewers. Numerous apps that cite Pebble support in their metadata have been had updates approved since the unveiling of the Apple Watch, and there have been no other reports of rejections.

Developers have complained about the App Store's opaque review process nearly since its inception, and many have even called for regulatory action over Apple's handling of its storefront.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Under fire? By which you mean by AI.
  • Reply 2 of 40
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    As AAPL touches $130! Wheeeeee.
  • Reply 3 of 40
    wurm5150wurm5150 Posts: 763member
    All they had to was remove the Pebble reference and get back in the AppStore.. Instead they went and b !tch about it in the media. I'm guessing for publicity?
  • Reply 4 of 40
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member

"Under fire"?? Yeah.. from the media

What the developer is doing (if they even are) is what we call "whining".  Irrelevant whether it's enforced 100% or sporadically (for multitude of reasons).  Don't flout a competitor's product.  Period.

I break speed limits every day on the highway.  Should I now complain that I'm "under fire" by the CHP because of their inconsistent enforcement of speed laws?

• Reply 5 of 40
    rmb0037rmb0037 Posts: 142member
    sflocal wrote: »

What the developer is doing (if they even are) is what we call "whining".  Irrelevant whether it's enforced 100% or sporadically (for multitude of reasons).  Don't flout a competitor's product.  Period.

I break speed limits every day on the highway.  Should I now complain that I'm "under fire" by the CHP because of their inconsistent enforcement of speed laws?

Keep in mind this isn't JUST AI. They are just reporting on it. This has been blown up by quite a number of different journalists.

Take out the pebble reference. Move on. Might make your app even more attractive NOT mentioning pebble...
  • Reply 6 of 40
    Good lord this thread is full of mindless zealots.
  • Reply 7 of 40
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

That's an utterly idiotic reason for the app to be rejected. Some of the first-tier Apple reviewers really don't engage their brains when reviewing apps.

My advice to the app developer would be to escalate the bogus rejection. Apple do listen if you state clearly why the app shouldn't have been rejected.

• Reply 8 of 40
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Hmm...app reviews doesn't seem to have a problem approving ?Watch apps. Apparently there's over 3K in the AppStore now. No way can there possibly be 3K good apps for the Watch right now. It seems like Apple is just proving things to jack up that number.
  • Reply 9 of 40
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RichL View Post

That's an utterly idiotic reason for the app to be rejected. Some of the first-tier Apple reviewers really don't engage their brains when reviewing apps.

My advice to the app developer would be to escalate the bogus rejection. Apple do listen if you state clearly why the app shouldn't have been rejected.

Except, if you'd read, it violates Apple's policies. So the reviewer did engage their brain just fine.

kthxbai

• Reply 10 of 40
    sflocal wrote: »

The problem as I understand it stems from fact that the app itself has been around for two years without issue and now that Apple is coming out with the Apple Watch it's suddenly an issue that it mentions Pebble compatibility.

Not saying it's right or wrong but that's what I understand to be the main point of contention
  • Reply 11 of 40
    rickersrickers Posts: 62member
    I had a Solitaire app update rejected once because I age rated it as 4+. Apple said it should be 17+ because it contained wagering. I know, I should shut up and stop whining and do what my Lord Apple says.

No, I didn't do that. I filed an appeal and said that, just because there is a game named "Poker", it doesn't mean there is wagering. I also pointed out there is actually no wagering in the app (which they would have known if they actually ran the app). I got a phone call the next day apologizing for the mistake and they posted the update immediately.

They do make mistakes. To suggest a dev can't or shouldn't support or advertise support of a Pebble watch is ridiculous.
  • Reply 12 of 40
    You filed an appeal, which is the correct action. I can't tell if this developer did, or went straight to the press. They do make mistakes some time, but for all the hassles I'd rather use the Apple Store than Google's Wild West.
  • Reply 13 of 40
    I do agree that the Apple App Store is a better overall environment.
  • Reply 14 of 40

Except, if you'd read, it violates Apple's policies. So the reviewer did engage their brain just fine.

kthxbai
    Whoever wrote the apple policies and engage there brain though. The rest of the tech world does exist and Apples customers do have other people products.
  • Reply 15 of 40
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member

Most of the process is automated and I'm sure a percentage is checked by people. Kind of like the IRS not eyeballing every tax return.

• Reply 16 of 40
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rmb0037 View Post

Keep in mind this isn't JUST AI. They are just reporting on it. This has been blown up by quite a number of different journalists.

Take out the pebble reference. Move on. Might make your app even more attractive NOT mentioning pebble...

Where else? Who has complained about this policy? Are they quoted or cited? No. In fact, AI hasn't "reported" anything but their editorial opinion.

• Reply 17 of 40
    rmb0037rmb0037 Posts: 142member

Where else? Who has complained about this policy? Are they quoted or cited? No. In fact, AI hasn't "reported" anything but their editorial opinion.

http://forums.getpebble.com/discussion/22081/apple-now-rejecting-apps-with-pebble-smartwatch-support
    - 12 hours ago

http://************/2015/04/23/apple-pebble-rejection/ - 6 hours ago (where I first read about it)

I can keep going.
  • Reply 18 of 40
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Seems silly.

I wonder if the trolls blame Angela for this. Haha.
  • Reply 19 of 40
    I confirmed something I read about this on another site: There is an official Pebble app in the App Store. How is that to be reconciled?
  • Reply 20 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rmb0037 View Post

http://forums.getpebble.com/discussion/22081/apple-now-rejecting-apps-with-pebble-smartwatch-support

- 12 hours ago

http://************/2015/04/23/apple-pebble-rejection/ - 6 hours ago (where I first read about it)

I can keep going.

Hard to keep going when you haven't really started. This is just the developer complaining, which we already know about (not that AI even bothered to quote them). The claim from AI was Apple is "under fire once again," when no single other instance is cited, and your claim that "quite number of journalists" are on this, none of whom you cite either.