Cedars-Sinai Medical Center enables HealthKit integration for patient data

Posted:
in iPhone edited April 2015
Los Angeles' Cedars-Sinai Medical Center updated its electronic health records system over the weekend to support data from Apple's HealthKit platform, the hospital's chief information officer has revealed.

The move should affect over 80,000 patients, Darren Dworkin told Bloomberg. He acknowledged, however, that there are no definite plans for how HealthKit data will be used.

"This is just another set of data that we're confident our physicians will take into account as they make clinical and medical judgments," Dworkin commented. "We don't really, fully know and understand how patients will want to use this and we're going to basically stand ready to learn by what will happen."

HealthKit centralizes data from various iOS 8-connected health and fitness trackers, including the Apple Watch. Normally that data is only meant for viewing in iOS' Health app, but in some cases it can be shared with doctors and medical institutions. Some other participating institutions include the Mayo Clinic and Duke University Hospital.

Dworkin recently noted that in the Cedars-Sinai implementation, HealthKit data is attached to medical records by default. "Rather than turn it on as sort of an opt-in, we've basically enabled it for all of our patients," he told Bloomberg last week. "The opt-out is just don't use it."

Apple insists that HealthKit data is strictly secure. As along as an iPhone has a passcode and/or Touch ID enabled, it should be encrypted on-device as well as in backups and during uploads. Users can also control which apps can access that data, such as ones run by hospitals and insurers.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    So this isn't opt-in and there's no way to opt-out? No thanks.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

"Users can also control which apps can access that data, such as ones run by hospitals and insurers."   

• Reply 3 of 19
    pk22901pk22901 Posts: 153member
    rogifan,

It is opt-in. iOS always asks who you want to share data with. The hospital is open door since all a patient needs to do is choose to share their data w the hospital and the hospital will accept.
  • Reply 4 of 19
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Quote:

So you make a statement that is blatantly untrue statement (5 seconds of research would confirm that), then the typical "no thanks". Why use this tired troll tactic?

• Reply 5 of 19
    mike1 wrote: »
    "Users can also control which apps can access that data, such as ones run by hospitals and insurers."   

Dworkin recently noted that in the Cedars-Sinai implementation, HealthKit data is attached to medical records by default. "Rather than turn it on as sort of an opt-in, we've basically enabled it for all of our patients," he told Bloomberg last week. "The opt-out is just don't use it."

The opt-out is just don't use what? HealthKit?
  • Reply 6 of 19
    slurpy wrote: »
    So you make a statement that is blatantly untrue (5 seconds of research would confirm that), then the typical "no thanks". Why use this troll tactic?

Based on this statement what is blatantly untrue?
  • Reply 7 of 19
    patsupatsu Posts: 430member
    rogifan wrote: »

Your quote from Dworkin just confirmed that there's a way to opt-out.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    patsu wrote: »
    Your quote from Dworkin just confirmed that there's a way to opt-out.

By not using HealthKit? Or not getting care from Cedars-Sinai?
  • Reply 9 of 19
    By not using HealthKit? Or not getting care from Cedars-Sinai?

Where is the original article or interview ?

It sounds like as long as you don't use their app, the system won't know how to link your HealthKit data to their EHR anyway.
  • Reply 10 of 19
    patsu wrote: »
    Where is the original article or interview ?

It sou.nds like as long as you don't use their app, the system won't know how to link your HealthKit data to their EHR anyway.

I still think it's stupid. What if you want to use their app for other things? Nothing should ever be opt-out. It should be my choice whether to opt-in to something
  • Reply 11 of 19
    I still think it's stupid. What if you want to use their app for other things? Nothing should ever be opt-out. It should be my choice whether to opt-in to something

Took a quick look. You can still use their app without signing up or signing in to look up their directory.

To use their CS-Link service (for checking your health records), you'll need an account with them.

But at the iOS level, you should be able to reject the app's request for health data (Under Settings > Privacy > Health). It's outside the app's control. The app doesn't need to handle opt-in/out. HealthKit essentially enforces the data collection.

In my understanding, this is how HealthKit works too.
  • Reply 12 of 19
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

"It" is the Cedars-Sinai "My CS-Link"

Connecting My CS-Link With Apple Health on Your iPhone or iPod touch

You also can connect the My CS-Link mobile application with Apple’s Health application on your iPhone or iPod touch.

1. Log into the My CS-Link app and select the “Track My Health” icon.

2. Select “Manage Connections.”

3. Choose the types of data that you want to sync with My CS-Link.

http://www.cedars-sinai.edu/Patients/Programs-and-Services/My-CS-Link/index.aspx

• Reply 13 of 19
    Quote:

Look at the Cedars-Sinai instructions: whether you decide to link data, and which data, is a setting under your control.

What's "default" is "HealthKit data is attached to medical records by default.'" That attachment is default, you chose to link data and it goes to your medical records.

• Reply 14 of 19
    iaeeniaeen Posts: 588member
    Quote:

Source?

I find it hard to believe that these guys have circumvented the iOS controls that are designed to prevent them from doing exactly what you are claiming they are doing.

• Reply 15 of 19

Epic is the electronic medical records system provider. This article describes how it used to work.

https://catalyze.io/blog/how-the-epic-healthkit-integration-actually-works/

Quote:

The first thing worth noting about the Epic/Healthkit integration is that it is not patient-initiated. Any user using the MyChart application on an iPhone running iOS 8 cannot decide to send information to their clinicians. Epic won't store it; in fact MyChart won't even show you the activity in MyChart unless a clinician has ordered MyChart tracking for you. You've been looking for real, prescribed apps? Here's the first one.

Rather than have every doctor "prescribe" HealthKit integration, they've "prescribed" it for everybody.

See what a little Internet searching can do?

• Reply 16 of 19
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    slurpy wrote: »
    So you make a statement that is blatantly untrue statement (5 seconds of research would confirm that), then the typical "no thanks". Why use this tired troll tactic?

She asked a question, because the wording is confusing.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by konqerror View Post

Epic is the electronic medical records system provider. This article describes how it used to work.

https://catalyze.io/blog/how-the-epic-healthkit-integration-actually-works/

Rather than have every doctor "prescribe" HealthKit integration, they've "prescribed" it for everybody.

See what a little Internet searching can do?

No mention of Cedars-Sinai anywhere in that article.

AND from Cedars-Sinai's pages: "

Does every Cedars-Sinai patient automatically have My CS-Link?

No. Though we encourage you to sign up for My CS-Link so that you may benefit from its many convenient uses, a My CS-Link account can only be created at your request. We respect your personal preference regarding communicating with your physician. Cedars-Sinai does not require anyone to sign up for My CS-Link."

• Reply 18 of 19
    konqerrorkonqerror Posts: 685member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

Does every Cedars-Sinai patient automatically have My CS-Link?

No. 

If you go to the CS-Link webpage, it says right at the on the page MyChart ® Epic Systems Corporation.

Your doctor hands you a code when they set up your file and you choose whether you actually sign up for MyChart or not. Regardless of whether you use the patient access portal, your chart is electronic and in Epic. I know because I go to another one of the Epic hospital users, which sounds like more first-hand experience than you have. We're in the HealthKit press releases, but because it's doctor initiated, I have no option to upload HealthKit, exactly like the article claims.

I think you have a misunderstanding of the linked article. If HealthKit is not "prescribed" in Epic, you cannot upload your HealthKit data period. If it is enabled, then you have the option of uploading your data. By default HealthKit is not prescribed in Epic. C-S is prescribing it to everybody by default.

• Reply 19 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by konqerror View Post

If you go to the CS-Link webpage, it says right at the on the page MyChart ® Epic Systems Corporation.

Your doctor hands you a code when they set up your file and you choose whether you actually sign up for MyChart or not. Regardless of whether you use the patient access portal, your chart is electronic and in Epic. I know because I go to another one of the Epic hospital users, which sounds like more first-hand experience than you have. We're in the HealthKit press releases, but because it's doctor initiated, I have no option to upload HealthKit, exactly like the article claims.

I think you have a misunderstanding of the linked article. If HealthKit is not "prescribed" in Epic, you cannot upload your HealthKit data period. If it is enabled, then you have the option of uploading your data. By default HealthKit is not prescribed in Epic. C-S is prescribing it to everybody by default.

"If it is enabled, then you have the option of uploading your data." Seemingly not having that option was what some posters objected to. 

I never wrote anything about "prescribed" one way or another so there's no "misunderstanding" to be seen. Multiple posts on the optional aspect of the data as published on Cedars-Sinai.

From above, also directly copied from Cedars-Sinai's pages.

"You also can connect the My CS-Link mobile application with Apple’s Health application on your iPhone or iPod touch.

1. Log into the My CS-Link app and select the “Track My Health” icon.

2. Select “Manage Connections.”

3. Choose the types of data that you want to sync with My CS-Link."