Patriot unveils USB-C flash drive for Apple's MacBook

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited April 2015
New MacBook owners who need removable storage but don't want to carry around a USB adapter now have a new native USB-C option in California-based Patriot Memory's just-announced convertible flash drive.

Patriot's new drive sports a reversible metal design, with a traditional USB-A plug at one end and a USB-C plug on the other. It will connect via the USB 3.0 protocol, and buyers will be able to choose from 32- or 64-gigabyte capacities.

"As many MacBook users rely heavily on external storage options, we wanted to be at the forefront with a product that will cater to these consumers," Patriot executive Meng J. Choo said in a release. "As a leading manufacturer of USB and flash memory, we want to offer solutions for our customers that are easy-to-use and provide seamless experiences across all their devices."

Pricing has not yet been announced, but the drives are slated to ship in June of this year.

Apple's decision to offer just a single USB-C port on the all-new MacBook has polarized both consumers and technology journalists alike. During AppleInsider's own MacBook review, we found the choice to be perhaps a bit too forward-looking, though ultimately not a deal-breaker for those considering the MacBook.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    Yep, this is about what I expected to see.

They need to make a USBa - Mini DIN 8 version though, I need to put some files on my Quadra and those haters at Apple abandoned me. :rolleyes:
  • Reply 2 of 24
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member

...and while not announced, safe to say the price/GB for memory sticks has just re-bumped up for a spell at least....

The price of progress...

• Reply 3 of 24
    normmnormm Posts: 653member
    SanDisk already sells one of these. 32GB for $50 at Amazon (higher on their web site).
  • Reply 4 of 24
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member

but...but... that will mean one less thing the Macbook haters will whine about!

What a surprise... not.

• Reply 5 of 24
    When I was trying to use the SSD Envoy Pro hard drive from OWC with my new MacBook I got the follow pop-up message: "USB Devices Disabled, Unplug device using too much power to re-enable USB devices." Another USB 2.5 inch hard drive device worked. The convertible flash drives also work on the new MacBook. So what does this mean? Some USB hard drives may not work with the new MacBook. The MacBook only uses about 5W and may not have enough juice to drive another pug-in USB hard drive.
  • Reply 6 of 24
    frankiefrankie Posts: 381member
    Well it costs way more so screw this
  • Reply 7 of 24
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    This is one man's opinion. Would be nice one extra USB-C port on Macbook, while transferring data to flash drive on ONE USB-C port while charging macbook on OTHER. Hope to see in next version of Macbook.
  • Reply 8 of 24
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    I like that double-ended design; and still smaller than most USB drives.
  • Reply 9 of 24
    Quote:

Originally Posted by frankie View Post

They didn't even announce a price, what are you on about?

• Reply 9 of 24
    pfisherpfisher Posts: 758member

It would be nice to have one that has power-through. The storage is there, while a cable continues out to power.

• Reply 11 of 24
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wood1208 View Post

This is one man's opinion. Would be nice one extra USB-C port on Macbook, while transferring data to flash drive on ONE USB-C port while charging macbook on OTHER. Hope to see in next version of Macbook.

Try stomping your feet and crying, maybe hold your breath till you turn blue.

• Reply 12 of 24
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Quote:

But will it eliminate the current speed bottle neck with USB 2 flash sticks? Or is that a reality of the way flash storage is accessed? If I can transfer 32GB significantly faster from a flash drive, or read/write from/to it significantly faster it's definitely worth the money.

I routinely have to transfer large video files from a USB flash drive to my internal hard drive in order to access them properly without lag.

• Reply 13 of 24
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    normm wrote: »
    SanDisk already sells one of these. 32GB for $50 at Amazon (higher on their web site).

Ya, but is it usb-c on one end and normal usb on the other end?. That's what makes this one cool. You can plug into different computers without a need for a adapter.
  • Reply 14 of 24
    kpomkpom Posts: 660member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JBDragon View Post

Ya, but is it usb-c on one end and normal usb on the other end?. That's what makes this one cool. You can plug into different computers without a need for a adapter.

It appears to be: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00V62XBY8/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

• Reply 15 of 24
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wood1208 View Post

Unless you're working on files directly on the USB drive (why?), just plug it in, transfer the files, unplug and keep charging.  In the off chance that you're really down to the end of your battery and need a charge, Macs will go into deep sleep mode when they hit 5% battery, which should be plenty of reserve battery power to do a small file transfer to/from a fast USB flash drive and then continue charging right away.  You're making up a problem where there isn't one.

• Reply 16 of 24
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Oh no! The price of technology that just came out is higher than what has been out there for the past decade! The horror! I guess we should just fucking stop moving forward then, cause of whiners like you that can't understand this kind of temporary premium, so "screw it". 

I wonder where the hell we would be, without Apple pushing the industry forward, and making new standards mainstream, cause noone else has the guts or foresight to do so. We'll always get whiners like you with every improvement. 

• Reply 17 of 24
    dws-2dws-2 Posts: 276member
    USB drives (and eventually all things that plug in) are going to die just like the floppy. Apple is boldly leading those who are ready into the future. For those who aren't, there's already two laptops with better specs that are a little heavier.
  • Reply 18 of 24
    This is so stupid. No other computer has USB-C yet. Thumb drives were meant to be for sharing data. Who the heck am I going to share the data with? Other Retina Macbook users?

Edit: N/M, didn't read the whole article. Putting away pitchfork.
  • Reply 19 of 24
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member

That's a nice looking one also.  Good, the more the better as you get competition in this category.  Prices will drop faster.   I haven't used a USB stick for quite some time.    I normally get things over the Network, or from a cloud and number of ways and I just haven't had a need for a USB stick for quite some time.   I do think it's cool that they both have both ports on such a small device.   It really does make it quite convenient to use.

• Reply 20 of 24
    mochi fung wrote: »
    This is so stupid. No other computer has USB-C yet. Thumb drives were meant to be for sharing data. Who the heck am I going to share the data with? Other Retina Macbook users?

Edit: N/M, didn't read the whole article. Putting away pitchfork.

If only everyone read the whole piece of writing they feel incensed about...