Developers may not receive special Apple Watch orders early as promised

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited July 2015
A number of developers selected to receive a special batch of Apple Watch units promised to ship on Tuesday are still seeing their orders as "processing," suggesting Apple is falling behind on "developer special" orders.

Apple last week announced it would mete out a small supply of Apple Watch units to developers in hopes of kickstarting software development for the device. Developers were selected at random and offered a chance to buy a 42mm Apple Watch Sport with blue Sport Band, with orders promised to ship by April 28.

According to developer of short-term social communications app Dancetron Richard Bottoms, who was accepted into Apple's program, his Watch order is still being processed with an estimated shipping date in June. Other developers reported on Twitter that they are seeing identical ship-by times.

I ordered the developer expedited Apple Watch which was "guaranteed" to ship today. Anyone else in the same boat? pic.twitter.com/rTY8Y8mrld

-- Mo Bitar (@bitario)

Prior to launch, Apple allowed only a handful of companies access to Watch hardware, meaning smaller developers had to make do with virtual machines or code by guesswork. As a result of restricted access and extremely constrained launch supply, some developers have yet to lay hands on Watch.

With only a few hours left to prepare orders and ship them out, it is not clear if Apple will meet its self-imposed shipping deadline. The number of developers affected by the potential delay is unknown.

Apple launched Apple Watch with a robust App Store offering of more than 3,000 titles, each specifically designed to take advantage of the wearable's hardware. During Apple's quarterly earnings conference call on Monday, CEO Tim Cook said the number of apps tailored for Watch now stands at more than 3,500.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 44
    vfx2k4vfx2k4 Posts: 43member

Would you like some cheese with your whine?

• Reply 2 of 44
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    How about waiting until the end of day then call Apple instead of whining about it?
  • Reply 3 of 44
    nobodyynobodyy Posts: 377member
    I don't think people are whining; developers want a device in their hands to work with — regardless of if they plan to use it as a development only Watch or in everyday life.

But anyway, I'm glad I stuck with my initial order :)
  • Reply 4 of 44

Ultimately, Apple is going to do the best they can.

• Reply 5 of 44
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,631member
    Developers: "ok, I'll order a watch."

Apple: "Suckers!"
  • Reply 6 of 44
    gregqgregq Posts: 62member
    I'm a developer and have my watch by waking up in the middle of the night like most others. However, Apples words "Guaranteed by April 28" is pretty unambiguous.
  • Reply 7 of 44
    Mine shipped 28th, due tomorrow.
    Apple engineers are aware of the dates discrepancies on the Apple Store and are fixing it.
  • Reply 8 of 44
    vfx2k4vfx2k4 Posts: 43member

If you didn't get yours by the 28th then you probably aren't important enough for anyone to care about you. Boohoo.

• Reply 9 of 44
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Meanwhile, my non-developer order was just upgraded!! From "June" to "4-6 weeks!"

I was so excited to get that email. I don't think I was going to make it until June--to excited!!
  • Reply 10 of 44
    prolineproline Posts: 222member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Nobodyy View Post

I don't think people are whining; developers want a device in their hands to work with — regardless of if they plan to use it as a development only Watch or in everyday life.

But anyway, I'm glad I stuck with my initial order image

It's whining. The solution is to cancel the expedited order for the affected individuals and give them the same deal that developers got for the iPhone and iPad- nothing.

• Reply 11 of 44

Good thing for developer is their iOS app that supports AppleWatch is being reviewed by Apple very faster than usual.

Like for me it took 2 days only after uploading updated binary with watch support in it.

Live on AppStore now: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id574318849?mt=8

;)

• Reply 12 of 44
    For those who say developers are whining. . . WRONG! Gaurenteed means that, not in processing, or a technical error, etc. . . Think about this, allot of "famous" people got one for what? FREE!! Lot of you on here are Loyal Apple customers and what Apple calls promoters. You send allot of time promoting their product one way or the other. If your time is worth $12 or more by Glassdoors Apple pay scale, shouldn't you get one for free? Shouldn't you get special treatment? Before you say people are whiners think about how much give Apple and what you get in return. Apple missed the mark on gaurenteed this time around.
  • Reply 13 of 44
    dcgoodcgoo Posts: 280member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Nobodyy View Post

I don't think people are whining; developers want a device in their hands to work with — regardless of if they plan to use it as a development only Watch or in everyday life. But anyway, I'm glad I stuck with my initial order image

I ordered a watch in an Apple Retail store, on SUNDAY.  It arrived TODAY, 48 hours later.   Not too shabby.  

• Reply 14 of 44
    jimdreamworxjimdreamworx Posts: 1,095member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DCGOO View Post

I ordered a watch in an Apple Retail store, on SUNDAY.  It arrived TODAY, 48 hours later.   Not too shabby.

Same here.  I ordered one on April 10th and got it on the 24th.  Ordered another Sunday and got it today.

Wife wanted a 38mm when she saw mine.

If it's that important to get one, don't buy a Sport.  The regular stainless steel is shipping.

• Reply 15 of 44
    stanhopestanhope Posts: 160member
    This has reached the level of epic cluster fxck
  • Reply 16 of 44
    You have no idea!
  • Reply 17 of 44
    prolineproline Posts: 222member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by stanhope View Post

This has reached the level of epic cluster fxck

Yeah, heaven forfend that Apple offered to do something nice and it didn't work out 100%. The sky is totally falling. 

P.S. For all we know the people whining might not even have ordered the model they were supposed to or received an offer in the first place. 

• Reply 18 of 44

Seems like there were more Apple Watch Apps available on launch day than actual Apple Watches shipped!

• Reply 19 of 44
    The hypocrisy on these forums are outstanding. If Google did this the comments would be "Don't be evil /s", or some other bashful comment.

Why don't we call it what it is instead of making excuses for a multi billion dollar company that's only job in this particular case was to ship some watches on a specific date.
  • Reply 20 of 44
    Mine was guaranteed to shop today and still hasn't