Rumor: Purported industrial renderings of Apple's 'iPad Pro' back 12.9-inch display

Posted:
in iPad edited May 2015
An alleged industrial rendering of Apple's rumored "iPad Pro" was leaked on Friday, supporting rumors that the tablet will use a 12.9-inch screen instead of a less-frequently claimed 12.2-inch version.

In terms of length, width, and thickness, the rendering -- obtained by Nowhereelse.fr, and said to date back to December -- indicates dimensions of 305.7 by 222.6 by 7.2 millimeters, or 12 by 8.7 by 0.28 inches. That's enough space to fit a 12.9-inch screen, measured diagonally.

The image also supports rumors that the new tablet will have four speaker ports split between top and bottom, allowing for stereo audio when holding the Pro in landscape mode. It is however missing a side-facing port seen in some leaks, which has sometimes been suspected as a second Lightning port or a USB-C connection.

So far, the 12-inch MacBook is the only Apple device to support USB-C.

Specifications for the device remain uncertain. Some rumors have given it an A8X processor like the iPad Air 2, as well as an IGZO display, fast-charging support, and possibly a stylus. Apple has generally opposed including styluses with its devices, but the company may want to increase the appeal of the Pro to artists and business professionals needing to do precise sketches and illustrations.

It's still unclear when the tablet might ship. Apple traditionally launches new iPads in the fall however, in which case the Pro might adopt an anticipated A9 or A9X processor.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    jakebjakeb Posts: 562member
    It's pretty safe to say that multitasking is coming with this iPad. Maybe also an official keyboard cover based on the new Macbook keys?
  • Reply 2 of 14
    drewys808drewys808 Posts: 549member

Prediction, 12 months after new iPad Pro is launched:

Mac sales YOY increase will be down,

"Apple is doomed unless Macs are revived!" scream a few,

"20M Apple watches being sold was a failure!" scream the others,

share price back down to $130

...meanwhile...

the company amasses $300B in cash, increases dividend, buys back shares of its own company, PE is at 7.5 and becomes the no.1 environmentally friendly corporation on earth.

How can something be so sad yet so incredibly awesome?

• Reply 3 of 14
    peteraltpeteralt Posts: 155member
    I hope the 4 speakers are assignable programically for developers! The front speakers could be assigned the surround channels for movies, for example. Or a game that specifically requires four speakers, another example.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    peteraltpeteralt Posts: 155member
    jakeb wrote: »
    It's pretty safe to say that multitasking is coming with this iPad. Maybe also an official keyboard cover based on the new Macbook keys?
    I would like to see multi-user capability!
  • Reply 5 of 14
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Considering the accuracy of most major leaks these days, I'm going to assume this is going to happen until proven otherwise.

• Reply 6 of 14
    drewys808drewys808 Posts: 549member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Apple is up 50% last 12 months and 100% last 24 months.

If Apple keeps growing profits than no amount of Wall Street or Media propaganda will be able to keep the stock from reaching $150 this year.

I agree....I was being facetious.

But in reality, should we even have been at $125 yesterday?

I'm not fixated on stock price, really I'm not.

But I'm sure there will be spin/FUD on the new iPad "Pro"....probably something to do with Mac sales down (in the future).

• Reply 7 of 14
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    This is fake. Look how the placement for volume buttons and lock buttons change.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

This is fake. Look how the placement for volume buttons and lock buttons change.

How can you determine it "fake" while there's not a "real" one yet?

• Reply 9 of 14
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Considering the accuracy of most major leaks these days, I'm going to assume this is going to happen until proven otherwise.

I am with you on this and I will be one of the first in line for these (that first gen is getting a little long in the tooth, although my second geb is still great). Amazing that the first one is still chugging along with no problems (4.5 years old) - built to last (same with the 2nd gen).

• Reply 10 of 14
    herbivoreherbivore Posts: 132member
    I can't wait for this. My MacBook Air is long in the tooth and the battery life stinks. My iPad is a pretty nice device but I get tired of lugging around an additional Bluetooth keyboard. I don't want the new rMB. Software for iOS is superior to what is available on OSX. The iPad pro will have better battery life and likely outperform the Core M if it comes with the A9X, especially if built on Samsung's new 14 nm process. The machine should be less expensive, come with 4G LTE access and with a decent sized screen.

For those who need a bonafide laptop, Apple makes those. The iPad suffices for me.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    fallenjt wrote: »
    How can you determine it "fake" while there's not a "real" one yet?
    It's a fake drawing, it's invented.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    atlappleatlapple Posts: 496member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

waiting for this 

I'm praying for this. 

• Reply 13 of 14
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    I hope this isn't fake, because this is the iPad I've been waiting for!