Apple challenges Google with growing Web search program, fueled by Topsy acquisition

Comments

• Reply 61 of 95
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    gtr wrote: »
    Even my computer thinks his posts are junk.
    Then you should take the hint and ignore them. It's a sign. Haven't you figured out how the "Ignore" button works?

You don't add anything to the forum when you simply use your time here to toss insults. Worse, it can make Apple users look bad to casual visitors don't you think? IMO you're at your best when you post your typically funny one-liners. Wasting your efforts on personal insult attempts doesn't do you justice.
  • Reply 62 of 95
    usb-usb- Posts: 22member

What's with all the drama?

GTR, you like Apple

Gatorguy, you like Google

The fact that either one of you harbors these beliefs in no way affects the life of the other unless you let it. So what if someone's going around evangelising for a particular corporation? Just ignore them and move on. Honestly, aren't you all adults here?

• Reply 63 of 95
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

I doubt its what they mean here, but Apple did have the Star Trek project back in the '90s. That being said, unless this is a reference to OS X on ARM (which already exists...) I'm thinking typo.

I think the original story is about a guy who wants to "reify" the computer voice interface from ST:TOS.

As in "Computer - this is a Class A Compulsory Directive.  Calculate to the last digit the value of pi." etc.

p.s. "reify" means "to make an abstract concept more concrete or real."

• Reply 64 of 95
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

But nothing was announced or revealed today, am I right...or did I miss some announcement? This is a two year old acquisition.

• Reply 65 of 95
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by USB- View Post

GTR, you like Apple

The fact that either one of you harbors these beliefs in no way affects the life of the other unless you let it. So what if someone's going around evangelising for a particular corporation? Just ignore them and move on. Honestly, aren't you all adults here?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by USB- View Post

GTR, you like Apple

welcome back Ben Frosty - didn't take you long to get back did you!

your first post on April 15th:  "I'm still waiting on OS X Weed" classic BF

here is to you getting banned again soon :)

• Reply 66 of 95
    usb-usb- Posts: 22member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul94544 View Post

welcome back Ben Frosty - didn't take you long to get back did you!

your first post on April 15th:  "I'm still waiting on OS X Weed" classic BF

here is to you getting banned again soon :)

Umm, I'm sorry you've got the wrong guy. I can't quite prove to you that I'm not Ben Frosty, but I can give you my word, and I would also like to ask that you don't give the moderators any false ideas.  I would hate to be banned for something that stupid

• Reply 67 of 95
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member
    Siri, spotlight. does not matter. search is search and good for competition.
  • Reply 68 of 95
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,295member
    bobjohnson wrote: »
    That's the point. It's not nearly as difficult for other companies to make very nice devices - on the hardware side - today as it was 5 years ago. Instead of picking the nicer phone, people will be choosing software platforms.

It's the other way around...Apple has vast economies of scale because Apple only makes a few different products but millions of each.

Look at the atrocious clones of Apple products over the last decade, they never quite can pull it off at the same price point.

Software services on the other hand come and go... and are much more susceptible to rapid disruption...Microsoft can no longer sell its $200-400 boxes of software in this new world, etc...
  • Reply 69 of 95
    macky the mackymacky the macky Posts: 4,801member
    cpsro wrote: »
    Google's original PageRank patent expires in 979 days... but who's counting? :D

That very thing is like pouring a glass of ice water down the collective backs of Google's C-suits. That's what's behind all their goofy flailing around for an alternate source of corporate income.

Meanwhile, more of Google's search business from Apple's mobile customers is vanishing...
  • Reply 70 of 95
    xixoxixo Posts: 449member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spliff monkey View Post

You can already turn off iTunes and much more in the spotlight settings.

you can, but the UI for this is obtuse and confusing.

if I want to search my hard drive, I really don't want to wade through all that other crap that spotlight dredges up.

they should completely segregate hard drive searches from all other searches

• Reply 71 of 95
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    Anyone rember this ?
    [IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/58836/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

Way ahead of its time back on Old Mac OS 8 or 8.5. Sometime around there.
    Overly complicated and difficult but the vision was there way back then.
    Doubly complicated by the fact that the speed of the Internet restricted Sherlock immensely.

APPL deep in the hole and struggliing in those times.
    And then came Goog about OS 9 - stripped down, no ads and fast. Nothing else stood a chance.
    Alta Vista anyone ?
    Shoot, back then the default home page for nearly everyone I knew was Google
    Then came the ads and their business model became apparent.

Ahh - dial up. Thems was the days ... Not
  • Reply 72 of 95
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RobM View Post

Anyone rember this ?

Way ahead of its time back on Old Mac OS 8 or 8.5. Sometime around there.

Overly complicated and difficult but the vision was there way back then.

Doubly complicated by the fact that the speed of the Internet restricted Sherlock immensely.

APPL deep in the hole and struggliing in those times.

And then came Goog about OS 9 - stripped down, no ads and fast. Nothing else stood a chance.

Alta Vista anyone ?

Shoot, back then the default home page for nearly everyone I knew was Google

Then came the ads and their business model became apparent.

Ahh - dial up. Thems was the days ... Not

ahh yes - google did no evil before it started displaying ads  then it became a parody of itself becoming the antithesis of 'do no evil" slogan.  The term is called - ''selling one's Soul to the Devil". It's only about the money now for Google - how bourgeois! and of course gauranteed too fail

• Reply 73 of 95
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    paul94544 wrote: »

ahh yes - google did no evil before it started displaying ads  then it became a parody of itself becoming the antithesis of <span style="line-height:1.4em;">'do no evil" slogan.  The term is called - </span>
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">''selling one's Soul to the Devil". It's only about the money now for Google - how </span>
    bourgeois! and of course gauranteed too fail

For me my distain began with Eric Shitt's behavior as a trusted Apple Board Member. Prior to that I was a user of everything Google, I was even a Google Master for web work I do for clients.
  • Reply 74 of 95
    chumpxchumpx Posts: 2member
    It would be nice if I could search a network (smb) hard drive before they jump into web search. Priorities apple, priorities.
  • Reply 75 of 95
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    Paid troll or in need of help I'd suggest.

That'd be a damn good guess.

Imagine what Google could have achieved with the time it takes to make 12,000 posts?

Hell, with that amount of effort, they could have actually got Google Glasses right!

;)  

I can't help but wonder just how prevalent this type of stuff really is? What would the point even be? Are even 1000 trolls going to convince random (or I guess not so random) COTI of anything? Do people actually listen to trolls and go, "yeah, F those Apple kooks, Samsung is my new fav!" Then again, who makes thousands of posts on a forum dedicated to something they supposedly hate? I know I don't. I go to forums where my interests are championed. If they aren't paid trolls they would have to have some serious psychological issues to dedicate so much time and energy to such a pursuit.

Or maybe they're not even real people; some sort of sophisticated bots or something. Truly weird.
  • Reply 76 of 95
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cornchip View Post

I can't help but wonder just how prevalent this type of stuff really is? What would the point even be? Are even 1000 trolls going to convince random (or I guess not so random) COTI of anything? Do people actually listen to trolls and go, "yeah, F those Apple kooks, Samsung is my new fav!" Then again, who makes thousands of posts on a forum dedicated to something they supposedly hate? I know I don't. I go to forums where my interests are championed. If they aren't paid trolls they would have to have some serious psychological issues to dedicate so much time and energy to such a pursuit.

Or maybe they're not even real people; some sort of sophisticated bots or something. Truly weird.

This is an exceedingly perceptive post.

A troll achieves very little in exchange for considerable effort. I don’t recall ever seeing a ‘conversion’.

Which means they’re doing it for another reason.

I must say that I found the comment about my posts not contributing to the site amusing. Seriously? You come to an Apple enthusiast site, openly (and subtly) criticise Apple on a regular basis while taking every opportunity to portray their competitor in a positive light and you claim that MY posts don't contribute?

It’s an Apple-enthusiast website. Get with the program!

Don't expect to ever receive praise for raining on somebody else's parade.

Throw in the rubbish about being a ‘bringer of truth’ and you can see why so much time and effort has been devoted to this. This is about significance.

The Six Human Needs:

Certainty/Security

Uncertainty/Variety

Significance

Connection/Love

Growth

Contribution

Gatorguy doesn’t appear to be perceptive enough to realise that what he thinks is my reaction to him is actually a reaction to his behaviour.

Quite frankly, I’m growing sick of the many individuals using forums like this to gain attention and sort out psychological issues rather than use the opportunity to connect. I’d have considerably more respect for them if they contributed in a genuine, positive way rather than constantly take digs at Apple.

Unfortunately, the search for significance can take a considerable amount of time so don’t expect this kind of behaviour to end anytime soon.

• Reply 77 of 95
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    When Larry and Sergey read this story they're going to have a f*cking heart attack.

They'll probably want to search for facts, but need to wait for Apple's search engine to be released. Because searching with Google will give zero results.
  • Reply 78 of 95
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    I must say that I found the comment about my posts not contributing to the site amusing. Seriously? You come to an Apple enthusiast site, openly (and subtly) criticise Apple on a regular basis while taking every opportunity to portray their competitor in a positive light and you claim that MY posts don't contribute?

You know what's really amusing? I've asked you and one or two others before to post the examples of where I "openly criticize Apple on a regular basis". You've never been able to do so yet continue to repeat it as tho saying it often enough makes it a fact. Heck, even some died-in-the-wool long-term Apple enthusiasts here (even moderators) are more critical of Apple than I am. I'm guessing you're irritated because I don't join in with making stuff up about other techs, not that I actually bash Apple.

I've gone so far as to call Google out as a liar when in my opinion, (and based on fact not FUD) it's deserved, ie the Safari browser adventure. They're no angel so why create imaginary claims about what they do when it's so easy to learn the facts? You're a smart guy, take the time instead of making something up or repeating FUD you heard somewhere.

I don't even promote Google services, especially over competing Apple ones, but feel free to disprove that one too. I'm sure there's no reason for me to wait on you to come up with something. :no:

Or perhaps you were referring to Samsung as that competitor? Any regular reader here should know I have no love for them. I find some of their ways of doing business shady and some of their efforts unethical. I'm no fan and in general what they get is of their own making.

Anytime you think you have some facts that dispute something I've posted you should use 'em. I don't shy away from legitimate adult discussions, do you? Since you don't seem to ever do so the assumption would be the facts were correct or minimally you couldn't find anything to show otherwise. That leaves you with ridiculing the poster and trying to get an emotional response. When you do it for spite it really doesn't contribute anything of value to the forum IMO. It becomes trolling and that doesn't look good on anyone.
  • Reply 79 of 95
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    You know what's really amusing? I've asked you and one or two others before to post the examples of where I "openly criticize Apple on a regular basis". You've never been able to do so yet continue to repeat it as tho saying it often enough makes it a fact. Heck, even some died-in-the-wool long-term Apple enthusiasts here (even moderators) are more critical of Apple than I am. I'm guessing you're irritated because I don't join in with making stuff up about other techs, not that I actually bash Apple.

I've gone so far as to call Google out as a liar when in my opinion, (and based on fact not FUD) it's deserved, ie the Safari browser adventure. They're no angel so why create imaginary claims about what they do when it's so easy to learn the facts? You're a smart guy, take the time instead of making something up or repeating FUD you heard somewhere.

I don't even promote Google services, especially over competing Apple ones, but feel free to disprove that one too. I'm sure there's no reason for me to wait on you to come up with something. :no:

Or perhaps you were referring to Samsung as that competitor? Any regular reader here should know I have no love for them. I find some of their ways of doing business shady and some of their efforts unethical. I'm no fan and in general what they get is of their own making.

Anytime you think you have some facts that dispute something I've posted you should use 'em. I don't shy away from legitimate adult discussions, do you? Since you don't seem to ever do so the assumption would be the facts were correct or minimally you couldn't find anything to show otherwise. That leaves you with ridiculing the poster and trying to get an emotional response. When you do it for spite it really doesn't contribute anything of value to the forum IMO. It becomes trolling and that doesn't look good on anyone.

Quite frankly, because we're not willing to devote that amount of time to you.

Don't take this personally, but when I'm given the option of sitting down and watching a good movie with my significant other or trawling for hours through your posts in an attempt to prove a point that I believe that you are already well aware of then, sorry to say, I'm afraid you're going to lose out every time.

And then there's the little matter of that giving you exactly what you wanted in the first place: attention and the feeling of significance. I'm sorry, my friend, but the last thing we want to do is feed the troll.

If you want to carry on and be a jerk then that's up to you. But there's no point in bitching and moaning about it when you end up getting treated like a jerk because of it.

Get a life, Gatorguy, seriously, because right now on this site you're wasting yours.

Go focus on something that you LOVE.
  • Reply 80 of 95
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    ^
    That's quite a long post for someone who doesn't care enough to devote any time to backing up their assertions. It seems that your time is only precious when you're being asked to do something productive.