Apple demonstrates how iPad can change your life in 'Change Everything' mini-site

Posted:
in iPad edited July 2015
In a bid to reinvigorate waning iPad sales, Apple on Wednesday launched "Everything changes with iPad," a new ad campaign that offers a comprehensive look at how the tablet fits into and enriches the life of its user.

Realized as a colorful mini-site on Apple.com, "Everything changes" serves as a portal to six categories -- Cooking, Learning, Small Business, Traveling, Redecorating and a catchall "Why iPad" section -- featuring third-party apps, and sometimes accessories, handpicked to help users complete a variety of tasks.

Most sections read as primers to iPad capabilities and are largely designed to get new users started with their device, or entice those without to buy one. Instead of posting simple screenshots, Apple provides beautiful pictures showing users interacting with iPad, akin to the company's latest TV ads. For example, Learning shows children playing with apps like Metamorphabet and Tangram for Osmo, the latter being an accompanying app to a simple machine vision accessory.

Each category spotlights about ten third-party apps across various genres. Interspersed throughout are examples of how Apple's own iOS apps, services and device accessories augment the ecosystem. Categories end with a link to a special Change Everything section in the App Store, which contains a list of apps advertised throughout the mini-site.

While a dominant player in the tablet market, iPad is seeing sales wane in the midst of growing phablet devices like the iPhone 6 and market saturation. For its second fiscal quarter of 2015, Apple sold only 12.6 million iPads, a year-over-year decrease of 23 percent that marked the fifth consecutive quarter of contraction.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Fantastic looking site, very well done. The iPad is definitely the ideal device in many situations and contexts.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    1. You can only sell so much of one thing before you saturate your market. This is why so many manufacturers now include obsolescence in their designs.

2. I wonder how many potential sales were lost by people who tested an iPad with iOS 7 and found it to be anything but beautiful and reliable. This is why I don't have an iPad yet. I had money set aside. I walked into an Apple Store with intent to purchase. I used an iPad Air for 45 minutes. I loved the hardware and hated the OS. I still refuse to downgrade my iOS 6 iPhone 4 to iOS 7. Apple went off the rails with the GUI change. Still waiting for them to climb back on.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    ^ gonna be waiting a long time there buddy.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    dysamoria wrote: »
    1. You can only sell so much of one thing before you saturate your market. This is why so many manufacturers now include obsolescence in their designs.

2. I wonder how many potential sales were lost by people who tested an iPad with iOS 7 and found it to be anything but beautiful and reliable. This is why I don't have an iPad yet. I had money set aside. I walked into an Apple Store with intent to purchase. I used an iPad Air for 45 minutes. I loved the hardware and hated the OS. I still refuse to downgrade my iOS 6 iPhone 4 to iOS 7. Apple went off the rails with the GUI change. Still waiting for them to climb back on.

You'll be waiting a long time them. Apple isn't going back anything like iOS 6 anytime soon.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    bigdaddypbigdaddyp Posts: 811member
    After putting iOS8 on my iPad 3, I would love to upgrade to iOS 7.
    It still runs games well, but is now terrible as web browsing device.
    So I just implemented plan "b". I ordered the iPad air 2 and am upgrading my son to an iPad 3.
    Win/win. :smokey:
  • Reply 6 of 17
    ezformsezforms Posts: 4member

I mentioned this before but it never got posted.  Apple iPad is a great consumer product but where they fall down is enterprise customers that have extreme weather demands.   When they fix this they will really start selling more iPads because the traditional consumers have been slow to update where the enterprise customer will rotate more quickly.  Let me be clear, I love the iPad and we built a solution around it but this does come up in sales cycles.   

• Reply 7 of 17
    ezformsezforms Posts: 4member

They sure aren't and for good reasons...  

• Reply 8 of 17
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    I bought an iPad 2 because it had a flat back.
    I bought an iPad 3 because of the retina display.
    I bought an iPad Air 2 because it was so incredibly thin, light, powerful and came with touch ID.
    My next iPad has very thin shoes to fill.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    appexappex Posts: 687member

Apple should make a real tablet computer: a Mac tablet. Much as Microsoft Surface. Because iOS is a toy and not fully compatible with the Mac.

• Reply 10 of 17
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    dysamoria wrote: »

iPad Air 2 and iOS 8 is a match in heaven. App Extension alone is transforming my iPad, and iOS 9 will make it even better (I hope).

This comes from someone who really really hate iOS 7.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

I bought an iPad 2 because it had a flat back.

I bought an iPad 3 because of the retina display.

I bought an iPad Air 2 because it was so incredibly thin, light, powerful and came with touch ID.

My next iPad has very thin shoes to fill.

Force Touch is going to bring the iPad to a whole new level. Especially if combined with the optional ? pen and amazing Adobe apps.

• Reply 12 of 17
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dysamoria View Post

You have a long time to wait fellow...

• Reply 13 of 17
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,241member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppeX View Post

Apple should make a real tablet computer: a Mac tablet. Much as Microsoft Surface. Because iOS is a toy and not fully compatible with the Mac.

Must be new to Apple products. iOS is the operating system on iPhones and iPads, it's not a piece of hardware, which is what the Mac is. iOS and OSX are actually fairly compatible, in fact a whole lot more compatible than they used to be. iPads are a special use product that works for a whole lot of people. Maybe they don't work for you but suggesting Apple build something similar to a Surface is embarrassing. The Surface is a product looking for a solution. Is it a tablet or a laptop? Microsoft needs to make up its mind. As for iOS being a toy, please give examples. The iPad is being used for a lot of commercial products (point of sale, informational touch-based systems, etc.) and definitely isn't in the same category as all those throwaway toy tablets being sold to kids. The iPad and iOS is a real computer and operating system.

• Reply 14 of 17
    sky kingsky king Posts: 189member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppeX View Post

You have spoken the truth.  The iPad (pads in general) are great for certain application (airline cockpits, etc) but I suspect that there are tons of people who are discovering that IOS (with it's lack of a hierarchical filing system, incomplete word processing capability, etc) is not so terrific.  I have an iPad which I use all the time.  But it's no more or less than an expensive calendar and suspense file (Reminders still needs work).  I'd love to have something with a real OS and a way to still use it as a tablet.  If I had it to do over again I'd get iPad Air to get the OS, even though it doesn't quite fit the tablet format

• Reply 15 of 17
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,241member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Sky King View Post

You have spoken the truth.  The iPad (pads in general) are great for certain application (airline cockpits, etc) but I suspect that there are tons of people who are discovering that IOS (with it's lack of a hierarchical filing system, incomplete word processing capability, etc) is not so terrific.  I have an iPad which I use all the time.  But it's no more or less than an expensive calendar and suspense file (Reminders still needs work).  I'd love to have something with a real OS and a way to still use it as a tablet.  If I had it to do over again I'd get iPad Air to get the OS, even though it doesn't quite fit the tablet format

To each his own.... but, your negatives about iOS demonstrate what you want a tablet to do, which isn't necessarily what Apple intended. The iPhone and iPad are not marketed as full-featured computers for traditional desktop publishing or simple writing, which seem to be what you want it to do. The iPad is a whole lot more than an old word processor. As for iOS not being a real OS, what is a real OS to you? Only Windows or one of the hundred versions of linux? Does OSX fit in that list? If so, iOS is OSX with a touch interface minus an apparent hierarchical file system. Apple has talked about getting rid of traditional folders/directories in OSX so the majority of people don't have to worry about where they put their files in order to use them. This is what iOS already does. Everything doesn't have to work like it did 20-30 years ago to be efficient, user friendly, or "real." If it did, we'd still be using typewriters or a pen and pencil.

• Reply 16 of 17
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dysamoria View Post

Then you'll be waiting until the cows come home.  Apple doesn't look back, and I'm glad they don't.  You're much on rant, little on substance.  

The OS upgrades are fine, a huge, major majority of consumers have zero problem with it.  So maybe you should go back to washing your Gran Torino and complaining about people stepping on your lawn.

• Reply 17 of 17
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    rob53 wrote: »
    To each his own.... but, your negatives about iOS demonstrate what you want a tablet to do, which isn't necessarily what Apple intended. The iPhone and iPad are not marketed as full-featured computers for traditional desktop publishing or simple writing, which seem to be what you want it to do. The iPad is a whole lot more than an old word processor. As for iOS not being a real OS, what is a real OS to you? Only Windows or one of the hundred versions of linux? Does OSX fit in that list? If so, iOS is OSX with a touch interface minus an apparent hierarchical file system. Apple has talked about getting rid of traditional folders/directories in OSX so the majority of people don't have to worry about where they put their files in order to use them. This is what iOS already does. Everything doesn't have to work like it did 20-30 years ago to be efficient, user friendly, or "real." If it did, we'd still be using typewriters or a pen and pencil.

The lack of a normal filesystem (which still exist by the way, just open up a terminal in a Jailbroken iPad) is just one of the many things that have prevented me from using an iPad for anything but music creation. The lack of full multitasking (not being able to run every app in the background) is another problem for me. The ability to choose my own default apps. Which wouldn't be such a big thing if apps populated their share list with every supported app that's been installed and not just those that were hard coded in by the developer. I don't use any of Apples included apps so when I click on share, to send a file for instance, MS Outlook is no where to be found, just Apple Mail, the same with my cloud storage services, OneDrive Google Drive and Box are hardly ever listed, it's always either iCloud or DropBox. Like many, many others, I like to use my tablets as writing tools, for me that normally entails connecting a keyboard, mouse and sometimes a monitor as like rotating it to portrait so I can see the entire page I'm working on. There is no mouse support in iOS and connecting an external monitor is a very inconsistent experience, as apps control the resolution and not the system. There is also these really annoying black bars on either side of the screen as something as simple as supporting a different aspect ratio isn’t available . There is a few more but I'll end it here.

I think the iPad could be the ultimate tablet, it's fast, has some very productive tools, system updates are frequent but the issues I described above and a few more not listed affect my personal workflow to much for me to embrace the platform. I understand that lots of people enjoy using the iPad and I think that's great but I've found what I'm looking for in a tablet and yes it's Android 5.

I have full multitasking (which means I can have multiple terminals opened, each logged into a remote server and still be able to continue working while they run in the background, wiithout the connection being terminated. Multiuser, I didn’t think this would be such a bid deal for me but I now love having a different profile for work and leisure, even a guest account for any visiting family or friends. Stability, the only app that has ever crashed on me so far was Smart Launcher 3, it's a Beta app. Even though I only use my iPad for music creation, there hasn't been a day gone by that at least one app hasn't crashed on me in iOS, yes I have 8.3. The biggest culprits are iSequence, iPolysix and Rebirth, all running on different iPads, yes I also have multiple iPads because of the lack of full multitasking, I need it for live music creation or I would just use Garageband to play my music after I created each melody and beat separately. I can choose any app as my default, so when I need to play a video, VLC launches, send a message, BBM, etc., The apps share lists are populated by what is actually installed and supported on the system and not by hard coded apps. I use OneNote for a lot of things, when I'm on a site and need to save certain info all I have to do is high lite said info and than send it to OneNote. I hardly ever see OneNote listed, even EverNotes presence is sporadic at best, it's not to much to ask to see OneNote in every single app on iOS. Same goes with all of my cloud storage services, if it's installed on the system I see them in almost every single apps share list.

I don't use widgets but I really like that I can modify the quick settings panel, example, I added; display to a Miracast device, flashlight, Hotspot to the list. There isn't the same amount of apps in Google Play as in the Apple Store but the apps that I use are all very good and are the same exact one, minus the music creation, I had installed on my iPad when I tried to use it as my every day tablet. I absolutely love that I can backup my entire system with apps onto a flash-able ROM, I don't even have to reboot into the recovery system either. I have timed backups that automatically upload the backuped ROM to Google Drive. If I ever have a problem I restore my system in less than 5 minutes. Since I save all of my data to a SD Card and also mirrored onto a cloud stir age sevice, it just makes recovery even faster. Connecting my Nexus 9, Nokia N1 or Nvidia Shield to a monitor is a real pleasure, not only can I change the display DPI to reflect a better looking desktop experience (icons and text look more like they would on OSX and Windows), unlike the normal DPI settings in an Android tablet or iPad where everything on the desktop looks huge but the experience is exactly the same regardless of the app in the foreground and of course no black borders, native aspect ratio is supported. I can connect a mouse, Wacom pad(I still like using my little Bamboo for Photoshop Touch), Xbox controller. I also have Arch Linux installed in a Chroot under Android, I use it as a development server, mostly LAMP and lot's of Linux based tools and command line applications.

In no way am I saying Android is better than iOS. There are just to many people who use the iPad and enjoy it for me to say anything along those lines. Nor am I trying to change anyone’s mind, I'm just saying that at the moment it isn't the best option for me.

I'm not looking for a full fledge computer either, the Linux thing, I did that because I could. The other stuff though is just basic computing 101 and I see no reason why iOS couldn't offer those things. Especially the default apps thing. I also full understand that not everyone needs those things but I guarantee if they had them a lot of those same people would use them. Right now there working around these limitations without even knowing it. Oh I can't email this document directly, okay I'll just open up my email program and send it that way, annoying yes but at least I have some recourse, wait, why can’t I see the app that created the file I want to send. Alright, alright I give up, I'll use Apple Mail……..that's pretty unfair if you ask me. Yes I know iCloud is supposed to be the file manager and this problem could be easilly be solved with using it but why do I have to choose Apple's solution. Why is iOS so different than OSX in this regard.