New York Times goes free in app update, Periscope moves beyond Twitter accounts

Posted:
in iPhone edited May 2015
In a pair of iOS app updates on Monday, The New York Times dropped subscription fees for unlimited article access, while live-streaming video app Periscope added profile creation options for users who lack Twitter accounts.

NYT Now

Version 2.0 of The New York Times app NYT Now drops a previous subscription paywall requirement, granting iOS device users free, unfettered access to all posted articles. Prior to today, The Times charged an $8 monthly fee for the service.

The update comes with a few user interface modifications, including a tweak that surfaces new articles to the top of user's feed for quick access to breaking news. A redesigned card-based UI further reduces clutter to present stories in a clear and concise manner.

Sharing features were likewise beefed up, as users now have the ability to send screenshots of story summaries in-app.

Finally, NYT Now is now compatible with password management app 1Password.

NYT Now is a free 15.2MB download from the iOS App Store.

Periscope

Twitter updated its popular live-streaming app Periscope with new profile creation options, allowing anyone with a phone number to sign up and use the app. Twitter accounts can still be used to create new profiles, but are no longer required.

In addition, users can change their profile picture using iPhone's built-in camera or uploading a photo from Camera Roll. Enhancements to the commenting system now allow broadcast viewers to directly reply to other members commenting on a stream.

The update squashed a few minor bugs involving verified Twitter badges, follower list sorting and broadcast history.

Periscope is a free 12.4MB download from the App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    RE: the NYT part of the story. This is great news, I love this paper's news. I hope this includes their opinion page as well.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    thewhitefalconthewhitefalcon Posts: 4,453member
    RE: the NYT part of the story. This is great news, I love this paper's news. I hope this includes their opinion page as well.

Their opinion page seems like it'd make more sense as hamster cage lining. :lol:

Occasionally, when they do some honest journalism, it's nice. Most of the time I flip past NYT stuff in Flipboard.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    If they give away their content why would anyone ever spend money on the NYT? For their sake hopefully there is an advertisement business model built into this.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    Don't expect any free newspaper !

An RSS feed is of more worth. It's a err, collection of umm articles that are designed to ahh pique your interest.
    Ad free, though it could be argued that NYT Now is a giant ad for itself.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    How irritating that it's not the version that sits in the newsstand app.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    technotechno Posts: 737member

The big newspapers blew it. Early on they should have seen the writing on the wall. IMHO they should have worked with Apple. If the user could pay a monthly fee for the ability to choose a package that consisted of 3-5 newspapers of their choice, it would have been successful. The user could switch papers a certain amount of times per year before being charged. They would have different tiers of packages. 

• Reply 7 of 11
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleinsiderFrm View Post

How irritating that it's not the version that sits in the newsstand app.

Do you mind if they survive with an actual revenue stream?

• Reply 8 of 11
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member

I would rather read the ingredients on a pack of breakfast cereal thanks. Hate that newspaper.

• Reply 9 of 11
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member

I'd love to know what their revenue model is...so others could possibly follow.

Given it's popularity, maybe their paper sales and main website generate enough ad revenue that they're able to provide free access for mobile users. 

• Reply 10 of 11
    xixoxixo Posts: 449member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

I would rather read the ingredients on a pack of breakfast cereal thanks. Hate that newspaper.

In much the same way that the tech industry copies Apple's designs, the news industry copies the NYT's ledes. Even Fox. Just saying...

What I want to know is, when did "a tweak that surfaces new articles" become a replacement for "highlights"?

Death To The English Language!

• Reply 11 of 11
    hiclubhiclub Posts: 1member

it's fascinating to see the zero price strategy take over the world. Elon Musk just announced his Hyperloop trains between LA and SF might actually be free for passengers as well.