Apple TV gets new channels in Australia, Europe and Japan

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited June 2015
Apple on Tuesday added new app channels for several countries with Apple TV support, including Australia, Denmark, Finland, Ireland, Japan, Norway, Sweden, and the United Kingdom.

In Australia, Apple has added an app for Stan, a local Netflix-style service which hosts movies and TV shows. The service is ad-free and supports viewing on three devices simultaneously.

Viewers in Denmark, Finland, Norway, and Sweden can now access Viaplay, which covers movies, TV shows, and sports. Another sports-related addition is the WWE Wrestling Network, which is newly available in the UK and Ireland.

Finally, Japan can use an Apple TV to tune in to Bandai, a local subscription network. The service is also accessible on computers, Android and iOS, and the Nintendo Wii U.

How long Apple will continue to issue automatic app updates to the third-generation Apple TV is uncertain. The company is widely expected to launch a fourth-generation set-top at WWDC on June 8, with features like Siri, an App Store, and a touchpad remote. The App Store may put the onus on users to find channels instead of having them automatically delivered.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    I think the Eurpoean Commission needs to investigate this practice, and possibly fine Apple billions of euros for some trumped up reason. /s
  • Reply 2 of 33
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    I guess I should get one of the things one day
  • Reply 3 of 33
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    Does anyone know if, for example, the Japan version of Apple TV can be used in the US (for Japanese programming)? Without IP blocks or anything?

We bought the Sony Vita TV in Japan, with the idea of getting some Japanese programming for the wife (who is from Japan originally) and kids, but many or most of the things seem to be IP blocked, as it worked fine on the MIL's TV and network, but here in the US things won't connect when I try and set it up and use it...
  • Reply 4 of 33
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I think the Eurpoean Commission needs to investigate this practice, and possibly fine Apple billions of euros for some trumped up reason. /s

Fear not ... they will ... (no /s)
  • Reply 5 of 33
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I guess I should get one of the things one day

We cut the chord and have used Apple TV exclusively for three years or more, never looked back.
  • Reply 6 of 33
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

We cut the chord and have used Apple TV exclusively for three years or more, never looked back.

I guess I should buy a TV first though :) Swore I wouldn't buy another TV, been happy just streaming on laptop for years. But recently been thinking I could buy a few sets of wireless headphones. That way it's not so irritating to those in the house who don't want to listen to it.

• Reply 7 of 33
    gregquinngregquinn Posts: 77member

With the continuous increase in the numbers of ATV channels, maybe we can guess that Apple is running a closed (invitation-only) beta of the ATV SDK, hopefully to be revealed at next month's WWDC keynote.

• Reply 8 of 33

Now, if Apple would add TV Japan to the US lineup, I could cut the cord. It's like 90% of my TV viewing.

• Reply 9 of 33
    john_l_ukjohn_l_uk Posts: 59member
    Not impressed with the Apple TV offering in the UK, still no iPlayer, ITV player, More 4 etc, so missing a trick. hell even the lowly and ancient Nintendo Wii has iPlayer and co!
  • Reply 10 of 33
    Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbag View Post

Does anyone know if, for example, the Japan version of Apple TV can be used in the US (for Japanese programming)? Without IP blocks or anything?

We bought the Sony Vita TV in Japan, with the idea of getting some Japanese programming for the wife (who is from Japan originally) and kids, but many or most of the things seem to be IP blocked, as it worked fine on the MIL's TV and network, but here in the US things won't connect when I try and set it up and use it...

It's the same device.   The content & channels you see is based on your apple id.  If you have an Apple ID setup with a Japanese address and credit card (which has a Japanese billing address) then you can flip between your US apple id and Japanese one.    I have a US an Australian apple id and do this all the time.

• Reply 11 of 33
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbag View Post

Setup a VPN.  I know I can do it in my Router if I wanted.  It'll slow speeds down, but  I have 105Mbps speeds as of a few days ago getting around 125Mbps D and about 12 Up, and even with VPN on, On Mp PC, it's still pretty fast.  I don't want it on my whole network though.   You could turn it on your router when you need it, then off when you don't.  Then you can make yourself be from just about anywhere in the world.   You can fool it to think your're in Japan even though you aren't.  It's silly having to do this, but, this is how people get Netflix, or U.S. Netflix from other countries.

• Reply 12 of 33
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I have 3 Apple TV 3's, but I rarely use them.  I cut the cord around 3 years ago.   I get a lot of my TV from a Antenna and have been using my Windows PC to record using Media Center and watching on my 3 HDTV's using Xbox 360's which bootup right into Media Center Extension mode.  Full DVR controls.  All my Programs get auto recorded.  use Harmony 900 remotes to control everything.  it's been 99.999% problem free.   But it does tie up my PC some.   Window Media Center support being dropped in Windows 10, I plan to switch over in a few months.  I'm moving over to TIVO.  Something I haven't used in like 20 years.  I was a early adopter.    They just for a few days had a offer on the Antenna Roamio 4 tuner Box for $299 with Lifetime and so I snatched it up.  I need to get a couple Tivo Mini's now.

The Tivo hardware is about where I need it now.  I hear PLEX support is coming.  PLEX is the #1 thing I use being a cord cutter!!!  Normally I use a ROKU Box for that, which I have 2 or the Roku 2 XS'sand just got a Roku 3.  You can AirPlay PLEX from a iOS device to a AppleTV.  Great thing is I can AirPlay at my brothers house to his AppleTV any of my Movies or TV programs even music on my NAS from my house at his house to his AppleTV and see or hear it there.  It's like if like my own personal Netflix type service with no monthly fee.

Right now I'm in the process of ripping my Star Wars Blu-Ray Discs to put onto my NAS.  Why buy them again?  I've ripped Most of my large collection of DVD's and then I put the discs into the Binder and throw the case into the recycle can.  it's not only a huge space saver.   There's no hunting for a movie.  I can watch in any room at any time and it starts right up.  No Crap at the beginning.  No FBI warnings, and it looks just as good.  

I won't get into some of the other things PLEX is great for here.  Between Media Center/Soon TIVO and PLEX, and throw in Netflix and there's a ton of crap to watch.

• Reply 13 of 33

Plex works on a number of devices including the MAC.

• Reply 14 of 33
    Quote:

Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

I guess I should buy a TV first though :) Swore I wouldn't buy another TV, been happy just streaming on laptop for years. But recently been thinking I could buy a few sets of wireless headphones. That way it's not so irritating to those in the house who don't want to listen to it.

I watch a lot of TV on my Windows 7 Pro Desktop computer on it's 24" 16x10 Monitor in my Computer Room.  Mainly because my Dad is in my Family Room watching TV on my 50" Plasma.  Yes, I had my Dad move into my house when he lost his.   I get to watch when he's not home or in Bed early.   I could watch in my Bedroom as I have a 50" TV there also.  I have a nice 5.1 Surround setup in my Family Room.   I normally just watch in the computer room and doing something else on my computer at the same time.   Those times I'm in the family room I grab my iPad.  I do have some wireless Headphones in my bedroom.  I don't use them to much.

• Reply 15 of 33

Which is why Apple needs a App store for AppleTV!!!!  I'm also getting tired of having to delete all these new ones that keep popping up that I can't use being a cable cutter.  It's quite annoying.   With a App store you could just download it if you wanted it, not be jammed down your throat. 

• Reply 16 of 33
    zabazaba Posts: 226member
    john_l_uk wrote: »
    Not impressed with the Apple TV offering in the UK, still no iPlayer, ITV player, More 4 etc, so missing a trick. hell even the lowly and ancient Nintendo Wii has iPlayer and co!
    Yes I agree, I use it less and less, got myself a youview box and got rid of virgin media (just broadband with virgin) saving 30 quid a month with no difference. Subscribed to Netflix then unsubscribed cos its kak. Now trying Amazon prime but have to stream that from iPad through the Apple TV to watch it on telly. Amazon need some app for a youview box. Really only watch movies in the main and used to rent them through atv, but it costs too much.
  • Reply 17 of 33
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JBDragon View Post

Setup a VPN.  I know I can do it in my Router if I wanted.  It'll slow speeds down, but  I have 105Mbps speeds as of a few days ago getting around 125Mbps D and about 12 Up, and even with VPN on, On Mp PC, it's still pretty fast.  I don't want it on my whole network though.   You could turn it on your router when you need it, then off when you don't.  Then you can make yourself be from just about anywhere in the world.   You can fool it to think your're in Japan even though you aren't.  It's silly having to do this, but, this is how people get Netflix, or U.S. Netflix from other countries.

Don't know if my router supports it (being an Apple one but will check).  Anyway, I used a VPN to watch the BBC London Olympics coverage.  I've thought about it but the good ones are $$ and I am not sure it is worth it for our level of use.  (Used hide my @ss for BBC)

• Reply 18 of 33
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    zaba wrote: »
    Yes I agree, I use it less and less, got myself a youview box and got rid of virgin media (just broadband with virgin) saving 30 quid a month with no difference. Subscribed to Netflix then unsubscribed cos its kak. Now trying Amazon prime but have to stream that from iPad through the Apple TV to watch it on telly. Amazon need some app for a youview box. Really only watch movies in the main and used to rent them through atv, but it costs too much.

I'm in the UK too and I setup an American iTunes account and loaded it up with American gift cards. I use unblock us to fool it into letting me subscribe to Hulu and HBO and also use American Netflix. I hardly watch any UK broadcast TV these days.
  • Reply 19 of 33
    nightskynightsky Posts: 43member
    WWE Wrestling Network added to UK. What a joke - does anyone watch that drivel. AppleTV outside the US is an embarrasment.
  • Reply 20 of 33
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

*opens article excited about new UK services, hoping for BBC iPlayer*

*leaves disappointed*