Archdiocese of San Francisco to begin accepting church donations through Apple's iPhone

Posted:
in iPhone edited May 2015
Starting this Friday, Catholics in San Francisco will be able to donate to their local church by using an iPhone app, bringing modern technology to the millennia-old practice of tithing.

The so-called "digital collection plate" stems from a partnership between the Archdiocese of San Francisco and Evergive, as detailed by NBC on Wednesday. Beginning with this weekend's masses, parishioners will be able to donate through the free Evergive app, which is available for Apple's iPhone, as well as on Android.

The partnership with the Archdiocese of San Francisco and its 433,000 members marks the largest agreement yet for Evergive, which aims to assist "mission-driven organizations" in collecting donations. Much like with a standard credit card transaction, Evergive keeps a small percentage of each donation it processes.

Father Anthony Giampietro, interim director of development for the Archdiocese of San Francisco, said the arrangement is justified as a benefit of convenience on both sides. He noted that Evergive not only makes it easy for churchgoers to give, but also simplifies creating new donation categories for special causes.

"The ease with which we could set up a campaign for Nepal or a youth group was astounding," Giampietro told NBC.

The app goes beyond donations, and will also serve as something of a digital community for members of the Catholic Church in San Francisco. Through the app, users will receive updates, can join groups, share messages and prayers, and more.

After spending a few months in beta, the partnership in San Francisco marks the formal launch of Evergive. The application is now available to faith-based organizations anywhere in the U.S.

In the future, Evergive plans to support nondenominational organizations such as parent-teacher associations, relief funds, alumni groups, and city improvement projects. Mission-driven organizations are invited to contact the company.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    Will it work for non Catholics too?
  • Reply 2 of 22
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by squareback View Post

Will it work for non Catholics too?

The application is now available to faith-based organizations anywhere in the U.S"

Or can’t you read? Or are you just trying to be cute?

• Reply 3 of 22
    carthusiacarthusia Posts: 583member
    I'm not sure who's foolish enough to give 10%, but I get the point. Now if church officials (Catholic or otherwise) can use an app to give away money, that'll be great.
  • Reply 4 of 22
    Our church and hundreds of others have been doing this for years now. This is not news.
  • Reply 5 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carthusia View Post

I'm not sure who's foolish enough to give 10%, but I get the point. Now if church officials (Catholic or otherwise) can use an app to give away money, that'll be great.

Nota Bene*: you're not required to give 10% (in spite of the word "tithe")... you can do more, you can do less. I think only the Mormons (LDS Church) require a specific percentage to be given from its membership (and even then, it's only a requirement to be 'temple-worthy').

* see what I did there? That's Latin, darlin' ;)

Oh, one other bit: The Catholic Church is IIRC the largest charitable organization on the planet - the vast majority of their income goes right back out in charitable causes and activities (education, medical assistance, food banks, disaster relief, etc). For instance, CRS (Catholic Relief Services) is usually the first group of folks to arrive on-scene at any disaster, often before the Red Cross/Crescent can do so - the most recent of these examples was right after the recent Nepal earthquakes.

• Reply 6 of 22
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    carthusia wrote: »

10% is a Jewish thing, though there are a few Christian denominations that follow that teaching as well.
  • Reply 7 of 22
    Our church and hundreds of others have been doing this for years now. This is not news.

So they invented Apple Pay before Apple did?
  • Reply 8 of 22
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    No, via a dedicated app for our church.
  • Reply 9 of 22

You're the first one to mention Apple Pay so I'm not sure how you came to your conclusion.

It has been possible to give and spend money using iPhones before Apple Pay was invented.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    No, via a dedicated app for our church.

You're the first one to mention Apple Pay so I'm not sure how you came to your conclusion.

It has been possible to give and spend money using iPhones before Apple Pay was invented.

Obviously, I was being facetious.
  • Reply 11 of 22

Obviously, I was being facetious.

Oh. It just seemed like you hadn't read this article or any article about the iPhone's capabilities.
  • Reply 12 of 22
    thx607thx607 Posts: 14member
    So their philosophy hasn't changed in a 2000 years. However, their ability to accept payment has kept up with the times.
  • Reply 13 of 22
    thx607 wrote: »
    So their philosophy hasn't changed in a 2000 years. However, their ability to accept payment has kept up with the times.

Lots of philosophies haven't changed since the beginning of time.
  • Reply 14 of 22
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Interesting. I didn't think this was allowed under the developer's guidelines... guess I was incorrect in assuming such a thing.

Will this also work for making donations to people asking for money for their boob jobs, or for people offering to smash their electronics for cash? Where will it end? Is this only for religious organizations that meet the "smell test"?

• Reply 15 of 22
    Interesting. I didn't think this was allowed under the developer's guidelines... guess I was incorrect in assuming such a thing.

Will this also work for making donations to people asking for money for their boob jobs, or for people offering to smash their electronics for cash? Where will it end? Is this only for religious organizations that meet the "smell test"?

Read the frickin' story and educate yourself before looking the fool.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    thx607 wrote: »

Yep, you sinners stick to archaic dogma damn you, but pay us as much as you can via new fangled electronics. Got to love religions. :D
  • Reply 17 of 22
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Lots of philosophies haven't changed since the beginning of time.

That was deep ... I think I need another Gin to help think about that . ;)
  • Reply 18 of 22
    That was deep ... I think I need another Gin to help think about that . ;)

Hey, that's one of them. :lol:
  • Reply 19 of 22
    dinoonedinoone Posts: 73member
    Will Apple take its fee, like in every in-app payment, or is it waived because it's a non-commercial transaction?
  • Reply 20 of 22
    nick29nick29 Posts: 111member
    Curious how much Evergive keeps.