Foxconn posts record first-quarter profits on strong sales of Apple's iPhone 6

Posted:
in iPhone edited May 2015
Asian manufacturer Hon Hai -- better known as Foxconn -- on Friday reported its highest first-quarter profit growth in a decade with a 56 percent jump year-over-year, driven at least in part by strong sales of the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus.

Hon Hai pulled in NT$30.39 billion ($998 million U.S.) in net profits during the March quarter, The Wall Street Journal noted on Friday. Facing pressure from asset manager BlackRock, it increased its dividend payout from NT$1.80 per share to NT$3.80, or from roughly 6 cents U.S. to 12 cents.

Nearly half of Hon Hai's revenues stem from Apple orders. The company has been looking to diversify with things like an online retail platform and partnerships with U.S. medical device makers, particularly in light of growing competition for Apple contracts, and slowly-rising Chinese labor standards which are pushing wages higher.

Hon Hai saw profits grow 33 percent during the December quarter, and analysts told the Journal that recent trends are expected to continue into the June quarter, again based on iPhone sales.

"A lot of consumers are still in the process of replacing their old phones with large-screen iPhones," commented Daiwa Capital Markets analyst Kylie Huang.

High sales of the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus have often been credited to pent-up demand for larger screens. As recently as 2011 iPhones were still using 3.5-inch displays, and that only improved to 4 inches in 2012, despite rival Android smartphones approaching or exceeding 5 inches. Last year's iPhone 6 grew to 4.7 inches, while the 6 Plus leaped ahead to 5.5. Some Android phones are now even bigger, one example being the 6-inch Nexus 6 by Google and LG.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    To be clear: DOOMED.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    A rising tide lifts all [I]iOS[/I] boats. :D

Anderoid is sinking under the waves though.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    A rising tide lifts all iOS boats. :D

Anderoid is sinking under the waves though.
    Android is DOOMED ;)
  • Reply 4 of 6
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    It will be interesting to see if what happens wth future generations of iPhone. The screen size card has been played. Other things will have to be the draw. Hoping for a double camera in the iPhone 7 Plus. The 6 Plus is so awesome I may skip the iPhone 6S Plus, the first time I have skipped a model since the iPhone was introduced in 2007.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Android is DOOMED ;)

GG - is that you ? :D
  • Reply 6 of 6
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    robm wrote: »
    GG - is that you ? :D

He's either a born again Apple guy ... or taking the piss the last few days... don't think too long :D

Edit: My guess he's been told by his masters to be cool it for awhile. You can't influence newbies if the regulars are pointing out your a troll after every anti (albeit always subtle) Apple post.