Apple Pay picks up 34 new banks including NASA, San Francisco Federal Credit Unions

Posted:
in iPhone edited May 2015
Apple on Tuesday added 34 more financial institutions to the roster supporting Apple Pay, its mobile payment platform for Touch ID-capable iPhones and iPads, as well as the Apple Watch.

The vast majority of additions are credit unions. Some examples include the NASA Federal Credit Union -- which serves customers in and outside of the space agency -- and various regional and/or educational organizations, such as the San Francisco Federal Credit Union and the University Federal Credit Union, which serves the Texas cities of Austin and Galveston.

A full list can be found below:
  • 1st Financial Federal Credit Union
  • Affinity Bank
  • Bank of Springfield
  • Berkshire Bank
  • Box Elder Credit Union
  • C&F Bank
  • Capitol Federal Savings
  • Christian Community Credit Union
  • Community First Credit Union of Florida
  • Credit Union of Denver
  • Denver Community Credit Union
  • Education First Credit Union
  • Educators Credit Union
  • Financial Partners Credit Union
  • First City Credit Union
  • First Premier Bank
  • Freedom Credit Union
  • NASA Federal Credit Union
  • Numerica Credit Union
  • PremierOne Credit Union
  • Purdue Federal Credit Union
  • Rivermark Community Credit Union
  • San Francisco Federal Credit Union
  • Simmons First National Bank
  • Summit Credit Union
  • Synchrony Bank
  • The Citizen Bank of Clovis
  • UMe Federal Credit Union
  • University Federal Credit Union
  • Utah Power Credit Union
  • Valor Credit Union
  • Vermont Federal Credit Union
  • WSECU
  • WECU (Whatcom Educational Credit Union)
Apple Pay first debuted in October of last year with just a handful of major banks on board, such as Chase and Bank of America. Hundreds more institutions have since signed up.

To date, though, Apple Pay has been limited to U.S. shoppers. Apple is believed to be negotiating expansions to China, Canada, and the United Kingdom. A Canadian launch, at least, could happen as soon as November.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    Apple is absolutely crushing in the mobile payment arena. No way that Walmart crap is gonna even get off the ground.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Unclear why they are getting so many credit unions to sign on, but virtually no community banks.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Apple is absolutely crushing in the mobile payment arena. No way that Walmart crap is gonna even get off the ground.

Get back to me when I can use ?Pay at Target and my local grocery store. It's great they're signing up all these banks but they need more merchants.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member

C'mon Target and TD Bank. It's time to get the Target RED debit and credit cards on there

• Reply 5 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Get back to me when I can use ?Pay at Target and my local grocery store. It's great they're signing up all these banks but they need more merchants.

I don't think anybody is arguing that having the ability to pay with Apple Pay needs to be more ubiquitous, but they are still crushing other forms of mobile payment that are on the market. And your local grocery store and target are only two players in the game. I don't even shop at target personally. It makes sense that there will be more banks that accept Apple Pay than merchants in the beginning as that's what will put pressure on the merchants.

• Reply 6 of 14
    calicali Posts: 3,494member

I don't think anybody is arguing that having the ability to pay with Apple Pay needs to be more ubiquitous, but they are still crushing other forms of mobile payment that are on the market. And your local grocery store and target are only two players in the game. I don't even shop at target personally. It makes sense that there will be more banks that accept Apple Pay than merchants in the beginning as that's what will put pressure on the merchants.

Knockoff fans are claiming SammyPay will take over. The theory is that ?Pay can only be used at the few merchants that accept NFC while SammyPay works on %100 of POS systems because it emulates a physical card stripe.

Thoughts?
  • Reply 7 of 14
    thebumthebum Posts: 58member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cali View Post

Knockoff fans are claiming SammyPay will take over. The theory is that ?Pay can only be used at the few merchants that accept NFC while SammyPay works on %100 of POS systems because it emulates a physical card stripe.

Thoughts?

Quote:

Thoughts?

We all know that card readers are the model for reliability...NOT! NFC has no moving parts, so it's inherently a lot more reliable.

• Reply 8 of 14
    Quote:

Thoughts?

Well first let me say that i'm in no way against Samsung implementing their NFC / MST technologies, I think anything that furthers NFC payment is good for all of us. The problem I see with MST is that the days for magnetic stripe are numbered. Merchants will be moving away from magnetic stripe, or face fines when customer data is breached. Therefore I think the magnetic stripe aspect of their technology will be short lived, but NFC will live on. For that reason I say if Samsung can help push the industry forward by bringing more NFC users into the fold, then the better for us all. 

• Reply 9 of 14
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member

My CU is not even in yet. The F, they're right here in the Silicon Valley, damn it.

• Reply 10 of 14
    mrboba1mrboba1 Posts: 276member

Ugh! Second largest CU in the nation is still not on the list!

This is driving me nuts.

Come on SECU!!!!

• Reply 11 of 14
    calicali Posts: 3,494member

Well first let me say that i'm in no way against Samsung implementing their NFC / MST technologies, I think anything that furthers NFC payment is good for all of us. The problem I see with MST is that the days for magnetic stripe are numbered. Merchants will be moving away from magnetic stripe, or face fines when customer data is breached. Therefore I think the magnetic stripe aspect of their technology will be short lived, but NFC will live on. For that reason I say if Samsung can help push the industry forward by bringing more NFC users into the fold, then the better for us all. 

Kinda my thoughts. They claimed Samsung is bringing the future with this but magnetic stripes are last century. ironic.

Problem is Sammy is NOT furthering NFC tech because their supporting legacy payment methods unlike ?Pay which is NFC only.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    smcartersmcarter Posts: 38member
    Credit Unions are not banks. They are financial institutions owned by their members. Your money isn't going to the Wall Street crowd that gave us the greatest economic collapse since the Great Depression.

I can't say enough good things about credit unions.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    smcarter wrote: »
    Credit Unions are not banks. They are financial institutions owned by their members. Your money isn't going to the Wall Street crowd that gave us the greatest economic collapse since the Great Depression.

I can't say enough good things about credit unions.

If they're licensed to receive deposits then they're a bank.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    mrboba1mrboba1 Posts: 276member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

If they're licensed to receive deposits then they're a bank.

No, that means they are a financial institution.

Banks are for-profit, credit unions are non-profit, and the operational differences launch from this fact.