First look: Mophie's aluminum & leather, cable concealing Apple Watch Dock

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited May 2015
Mophie is one of the biggest accessory makers out of the gate with a docking station for the newly released Apple Watch, and AppleInsider offers an exclusive first-hand look at the soon-to-be-released hardware.

The Mophie Apple Watch Dock is made of aluminum and "premium leather accents." It also features black rubber on the base and back, designed not only to hold it in place, but also to conceal and manage the watch's charging cable.

The dock requires Apple's official Apple Watch inductive charger. Users install it by placing the USB end of the cable through the hole on top.

The inductive end can then be placed snugly into the space, while the cable around back can be tucked away. A removable rubber piece in the base of the dock can also be temporarily taken out to allow the USB cable to pass through.

Once the cabling is securely in place, the Mophie Apple Watch Dock conceals and routes the USB charging cable to the back of the dock.

In our initial tests, the dock is stable and secure. And the magnets in Apple's official charging cable are enough to hold the Apple Watch in place on the dock without issue.

The Mophie Apple Watch Dock is available for pre-order now at a price of $59.95. A sample of the device was provided by the company to AppleInsider.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    danielswdanielsw Posts: 906member

I like it. Simple, stylish, durable design.

• Reply 2 of 12
    aybaraaybara Posts: 45member
    How does it do with the heavier bands? I wonder if it would be enough to hold the link band's extra weight.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member

Ugly.

When will companies understand that using aluminium and rounded off rectangles doesn't make it "in the Apple style".

• Reply 4 of 12
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

Ugly.

When will companies understand that using aluminium and rounded off rectangles doesn't make it "in the Apple style".

Jeez man you need to be more positive you might even get laid!

• Reply 5 of 12
    egold44egold44 Posts: 16member
    I want a stand like this but after experiencing the watch I have a few questions/concerns regarding my intended approach of not just "resting" and charging watch on stand but also "docking" it at my desk so notifications and apps are easily viewable/propped up. All earnest feedback welcome: if using watch passcode, seems like watch screen on stand would stay dark even when iOS notifications arise because watch would sense it's not being worn on wrist? Would require disabling passcode every time you put on stand, or would that still not activate screen since it's still off wrist? Furthermore, anyone else experiencing watch "stealing" notifications from other iOS devices/Mac? I'd prefer redundant notifications across watch, devices & Mac because even though watch is on wrist, some times it's least convenient/safe place for me to view when notified, but seems when watch alert happens, notification isn't taking place on other devices, like on my iPhone when it's safely visible in my car's dock at windshield or when I'm walking and holding phone with a clipboard under my arm[pit], making lifting wrist high enough to activate screen less than ideal. Yes, I've already submitted that last bit of feedback to Apple ;) Thanks in advance to community of early watch adopters who can help...
  • Reply 6 of 12
    ahmlcoahmlco Posts: 432member

If you "dock" the watch you're going to miss out on the haptic notifications.

I'm not sure what you gain from "docking" it other than trying to keep it charged and personally, I've yet to have any battery life issues whatsoever. It's 4:30 and I've worn mine since 7AM and it's still at 67%.

• Reply 7 of 12
    elehcdnelehcdn Posts: 388member
    Maybe it's me (and I am definitely not one of the $10,000 Apple watch owners), but $60 for a stand with a hole in it seems a bit overpriced.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    egold44 wrote: »
    I want a stand like this but after experiencing the watch I have a few questions/concerns regarding my intended approach of not just "resting" and charging watch on stand but also "docking" it at my desk so notifications and apps are easily viewable/propped up. All earnest feedback welcome: if using watch passcode, seems like watch screen on stand would stay dark even when iOS notifications arise because watch would sense it's not being worn on wrist? Would require disabling passcode every time you put on stand, or would that still not activate screen since it's still off wrist? Furthermore, anyone else experiencing watch "stealing" notifications from other iOS devices/Mac? I'd prefer redundant notifications across watch, devices & Mac because even though watch is on wrist, some times it's least convenient/safe place for me to view when notified, but seems when watch alert happens, notification isn't taking place on other devices, like on my iPhone when it's safely visible in my car's dock at windshield or when I'm walking and holding phone with a clipboard under my arm[pit], making lifting wrist high enough to activate screen less than ideal. Yes, I've already submitted that last bit of feedback to Apple ;) Thanks in advance to community of early watch adopters who can help...

the watch "stealing" notifications from the other devices is a feature, not a bug. I'd go crazy if I had to double- or triple-deal with notifications.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    egold44egold44 Posts: 16member
    But here's the thing, when the watch haptic-ly buzzes you, whether or not you activate the screen and read the notification, it's gone eveywhere else, no? Prior to the watch, iOS did a pretty good job of not driving users crazy with redundant notifications, but this seems to be the opposite where the watch forces you to only see it on the watch or lose it. That's my experience.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    egold44 wrote: »
    But here's the thing, when the watch haptic-ly buzzes you, whether or not you activate the screen and read the notification, it's gone eveywhere else, no? Prior to the watch, iOS did a pretty good job of not driving users crazy with redundant notifications, but this seems to be the opposite where the watch forces you to only see it on the watch or lose it. That's my experience.

I still see iMessage notifications listed on my phone's lock screen, but it doesn't activate the screen, make sounds, or vibrate. that makes sense to me. having my wrist and my pocket go off at once doesn't make sense to me.

your experience differs?
  • Reply 11 of 12
    hermn8rhermn8r Posts: 5member
    aybara wrote: »
    How does it do with the heavier bands? I wonder if it would be enough to hold the link band's extra weight.

It holds weight just fine. I have the Milanese and I put the band-insert back in at night. The combined weight is similar to the link and even doing a force test (applying force to the top of the watch) doesn't cause the watch to slip.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Got this stand and it works great