Apple Store app updated with two-step authentication, deeper Touch ID integration

Posted:
in iPhone edited May 2015
Apple on Thursday updated its Apple Store app for iOS with more comprehensive Touch ID support and a new two-factor authentication feature for securing users' Apple ID accounts.

Apple Store version 3.3 is now protected by a two-step authentication process, an added layer of security that requires app users to enter both a password and verification code before making a purchase.

To take advantage of the security feature, Apple ID account holders must have enabled two-step verification through the My Apple ID webpage. The option can be found under in the "Edit your Apple ID" menu under "Password and Security." Once activated, users will be asked to enter the password associated with their Apple ID, as well as a four-digit verification code sent by the system to a trusted device.

In addition to tighter control over purchases, Apple Store for iOS comes with an option that requires users confirm their identity via Touch ID before displaying order history and EasyPay receipts, or making reservations at brick-and-mortar Apple Stores. Prior to today's update, users had to manually enter an associated passcode to gain access to these in-app features.

The Apple Watch app version does not require Touch ID authentication from a paired iPhone to view recent order history.

The Apple Store iOS app is a free 22.3MB download from the iOS App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    By iOS 9 Apple would probably be replacing all password authentication with TouchID.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    Damn, just after our second watch shipped and I'm no longer obsessing over the orders screen in the app.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

I updated the app, and I still get asked for my pw to view my orders- even with Touch ID on. I don't get it. 

• Reply 4 of 7
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    slurpy wrote: »
    I updated the app, and I still get asked for my pw to view my orders- even with Touch ID on. I don't get it. 

The first time I opened the updated app, it asked for my password. However, every time after that it prompted me for Touch ID.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    cy_starkmancy_starkman Posts: 653member
    and Apple gets one step closer in their testing to opening up Touch ID more broadly than it already is
  • Reply 6 of 7
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member

Glad to see deeper integration of Touch ID, but the 2-step is such a waste of time. If I use Touch ID to unlock your phone, why would I need to go through this hassle to use the app? If you lose your phone, grab anybody else's iphone and lock it down with Find my iPhone. It would only take about 3 seconds to borrow somebody's phone to do so.

• Reply 7 of 7
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mike1 View Post

Glad to see deeper integration of Touch ID, but the 2-step is such a waste of time. If I use Touch ID to unlock your phone, why would I need to go through this hassle to use the app? If you lose your phone, grab anybody else's iphone and lock it down with Find my iPhone. It would only take about 3 seconds to borrow somebody's phone to do so.

3 seconds after you notice it's been stolen or misplaced....