Woman dumps rare Apple I worth $200,000 at recycling center

Posted:
in General Discussion edited June 2015
A Bay Area recycling center is attempting to track down an unidentified woman who dropped off a 1976-model Apple I in April, after the computer sold to a private collector for $200,000 this month.

A working Apple I that sold for nearly $1 million at auction last year. | Source: Bonhams

The computer was one of the first batch of 200 hand-assembled by Apple co-founders Steve Jobs, Steve Wozniak, and Ron Wayne in the company's first year of operation. The woman is being sought because it is the center's policy to split sale proceeds with donors, according to the San Jose Mercury News.

"We are looking for her to give her $100,000," Clean Bay Area vice president Victor Gichun told the paper.

"She said, 'I want to get rid of this stuff and clean up my garage,'" Gichun added. "I said, 'Do you need a tax receipt?' and she said, 'No, I don't need anything.'"

The Apple I was Apple's first product, and famously cost $666.66 when it was introduced in 1976. It has become one of the most sought-after Silicon Valley artifacts in recent hears, with a working model selling for $905,000 at auction last fall.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Yeah they are going to get ever old lady plus those acking old or as a lady trying to get their hands on that $100K.
  • Reply 2 of 23
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

I wonder what the old Altair 8800s are going for? Or the original IBM PCs or any of the early personal computers? Some claim Apple has been irrelevant and unimportant from the beginning and didn’t invent anything worthwhile. 

• Reply 3 of 23
    There's nothing like getting Friday's news on Monday morning...
  • Reply 4 of 23
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

I don't think they should have sold it and then tried to find her to give her half the money. It was clearly a mistake giving it away, so they should have just put it aside and tried to contact her and give it back whole.

• Reply 5 of 23
    mobiusmobius Posts: 380member
    She's my mum. Give it to me and I'll pass it on for you. :)
  • Reply 6 of 23
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mobius View Post

She's my mum. Give it to me and I'll pass it on for you. image

The representative says he knows the woman’s face and will recognize her. 

• Reply 7 of 23
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    Er, yes that's me! I was donating my late husband's circuit boards - he was such an electronic tinkerer in the 70s and 80s... I didn't realize that thing was worth so much money! Let me put on my little old lady disguise and come over to collect my reward. /s
  • Reply 8 of 23
    ktappektappe Posts: 823member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GregInPrague View Post

Do you work weekends? No? Then don't expect others to either.

• Reply 9 of 23
    Quote:

Apparently there's nothing like commenting on Friday's news on Monday morning, either...
  • Reply 10 of 23
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ktappe View Post

Do you work weekends? No? Then don't expect others to either.

Wouldn't it help to know that I do plenty of work for my employer on the weekend before saying something silly like that?

Besides, AI posted 3 articles on Saturday and 3 more on Sunday, so the argument doesn't hold much water.  Thanks for playing though.

• Reply 11 of 23
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    maestro64 wrote: »
    Yeah they are going to get ever old lady plus those acking old or as a lady trying to get their hands on that $100K.

Well the guy knows her face.
    ascii wrote: »
    I don't think they should have sold it and then tried to find her to give her half the money. It was clearly a mistake giving it away, so they should have just put it aside and tried to contact her and give it back whole.

How can it be clearly a mistake? Not everyone knows the Apple I is worth money.
  • Reply 12 of 23
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Seems like an honest company but why did they auction it BEFORE contacting the lady??
  • Reply 13 of 23
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cali View Post

Seems like an honest company but why did they auction it BEFORE contacting the lady??

Probably because they didn't realize the full value of the thing, and because the woman assured them it was junk and she wanted to be rid of it.  Probably only after bids at auction rose over the $20 mark did they realize they had a policy to adhere to, and by then it was too late.

• Reply 14 of 23
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cali View Post

Probably a mistake on the part of the recycling company. Perhaps an overly ambitious manager knew it was valuable and sold it but once the owner discovered the issue it was too late, so he tried to do the right thing, sort of... Instead of offering half he should be offering the full amount minus maybe 10% for handling. Rightfully, it belonged to the recycling company but they didn't want to create a bad reputation so they reverted to what is probably their default consignment agreement.

• Reply 15 of 23
    Quote:

Besides, AI posted 3 articles on Saturday and 3 more on Sunday, so the argument doesn't hold much water.  Thanks for playing though.

It was a local California news story over the weekend. Major news sources are just picking it up this morning. How did you hear about it? Are you in Prague?

The irony is that in California, especially the Bay Area, people have the sense to send unwanted electronics to the recycling center, because they know the metals and such are harmful to the environment, instead of just tossing it in the trash like the rest of the world usually does.

• Reply 16 of 23
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    ascii wrote: »

That as my first thought. That said at least they are contacting her and I suspect they have no legal obligation here (lawyers please chime in). Every time I read someone finds a valuable object in the likes of Good Will, I don't read they offer half to the donor.
  • Reply 17 of 23
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    mstone wrote: »
    It was a local California news story over the weekend. Major news sources are just picking it up this morning. How did you hear about it? Are you in Prague?

The irony is that in California, especially the Bay Area, people have the sense to send unwanted electronics to the recycling center, because they know the metals and such are harmful to the environment, instead of just tossing it in the trash like the rest of the world usually does.

Actually it's probably the law rather than common sense.
  • Reply 18 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Actually it's probably the law rather than common sense.

You're right, it is the law, but that doesn't usually make any difference to a lot of people. They throw away all kinds of recyclable items which is why, in our city at least, they don't trust you and they go through all of your household trash looking for recyclables because the waste disposal contractor is under a mandate by their contract with the city to reduce land fill waste x%, hence they go through the trash. We are really careful about separating our recyclables but we still got tagged once. They actually inspected our trash in the barrel on the curb on trash day. They also don't provide recycle containers for the city sidewalks or dumpsters for businesses here, so that is another reason they sort the trash.

• Reply 19 of 23
    mstone wrote: »

I guess it was Saturday then, but I saw it in my Google News feed and thought it was on Friday. I am in Prague and occasionally glance over Google News in Czech, but mostly I have it set to the USA.
  • Reply 20 of 23
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Nice policy to split the proceeds, this has gotten a lot of press so it would be great if she found out and got the money.