Rumor claims Apple wants to reach 100 million subscribers for Apple Music

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited June 2015
For Apple Music, the streaming music service due to be unveiled later on Monday at WWDC, Apple is reportedly setting an incredibly lofty goal of signing up 100 million subscribers.

The information comes from an Associated Press source, who did not specify a timeline for Apple's target. Nevertheless, 100 million would be unprecedented in the streaming music industry, as even Spotify said it had 60 million subscribers by the beginning of 2015, despite being multiplatform, multinational, and offering a free ad-supported tier. Just 15 million of those people were paid subscribers.

The source backed up a number of other recent claims about the service, such as a mandatory fee of $10 per month after a three-month trial period. The company is simultaneously expected to improve its free iTunes Radio service with celebrity DJs, such as former BBC personality Zane Lowe, and musicians such as Drake, Muse, David Guetta, and Pharrell Williams.

Beats Music will reportedly shut down after a subscriber migration campaign. That could lend credence to rumors that Apple Music will have a presence on Android, since Beats has a legacy presence on that platform (as well as iOS and Windows Phone), and many subscribers would otherwise be left out in the cold. Apple Music may also simply need to be multiplatform to have a chance of reaching 100 million people.

Apple has never before released a new app on a competing mobile platform. Typically it prefers to make features and services exclusive to iOS, as a way of boosting iPhone and iPad sales.

An announcement is expected at 10 a.m. Pacific time, during Apple's WWDC keynote. AppleInsider will be there to provide live coverage.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    thewhitefalconthewhitefalcon Posts: 4,453member

Latest JOT

• Reply 2 of 27
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    It's good to set a high bar and I hope they hit that goal. I don't believe this number from the AP, however.
  • Reply 3 of 27
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    It's good to set a high bar and I hope they hit that goal. I don't believe this number from the AP, however.

I'd like for AI to list the services that don't want 100 million subscribers. :lol:
  • Reply 4 of 27
    mubailimubaili Posts: 453member
    Beats Music is a subscription service. Why can't Apple just shut it down instead of dragging themselves into Android platform. I don't see any upside for Apple in doing so.
  • Reply 5 of 27
    macapfelmacapfel Posts: 575member

At least this means Apple Music will be available in many countries. Unlike iTunes Radio.

• Reply 6 of 27
    thewhitefalconthewhitefalcon Posts: 4,453member
    mubaili wrote: »
    Beats Music is a subscription service. Why can't Apple just shut it down instead of dragging themselves into Android platform. I don't see any upside for Apple in doing so.

iTunes came to Windows eventually too.

Hell can freeze over twice.
  • Reply 7 of 27

100 million users is ambitious but the number makes sense.  It's slightly above 10%, actually just about 11%, of reported users, 900 million.  I suppose saying 100 million users is a bunch sexier to developers than saying 90 million users.  

Certainly, with a 3 month trial period, they will get big numbers of those who register and try the service.  If the actual iTunes catalog is available, Beatles and all, and the streaming service functions well, Apple will distinguished their product and have people flocking to the service.

• Reply 8 of 27
    mubailimubaili Posts: 453member

iTunes came to Windows to see iPods, what does Beats Music come to Android serve? Customer service headache, developer headache?
  • Reply 9 of 27
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    I'd like for AI to list the services that don't want 100 million subscribers. :lol:

Want or wet dream? :)
  • Reply 10 of 27
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member

Anything that leads to billions of dollars in hardware sales is a smart move.
  • Reply 11 of 27
    gsteenogsteeno Posts: 56member

100 million is quite a lofty number.  I would guess that's a year-end goal.

I love Apple, but this would really have to differentiate in some way for me to sign up.

One thing that would get my money is if this streaming service included movies and/or shows.  Kind of a Spotify+Netflix combo.  Apple has the connections, so it seems reasonable.  Also, family accounts would be nice.  

<But I guess the supposed "Apple Music" name wouldn't quite fit>

• Reply 12 of 27
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member

How the heck do you think they'll get to 100 million? Not just with Apple users alone.
  • Reply 13 of 27
    kalvinkalvin Posts: 11member
    Walk in the park, especially if only available in the US like so many other Apple services.
  • Reply 14 of 27
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    I cry bs at that number. I think analysts and/or competitors "leaked" that goal so they could say Apple Music is a failure in the future if it doesn't make that target.
  • Reply 15 of 27
    croprcropr Posts: 1,124member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mubaili View Post

Personally I will never consider switching from Spotify to Apple Music if not all my devices are supported.  And next to my Mac,  iPad and iPhone, I also have some Android, Windows and Linux stuff. 

Of course other users have other requirements.  But that is exactly the point.  You cannot make the assumption that all users share your own expectation. 

A service that does not run on all frequently used platforms has a weaker offering than a service that runs on all devices.  And I don't see people buying an iPhone because of Apple Music. 

• Reply 16 of 27
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member

100 million?  This has to be a joke!!!!  There is no way in hell Apple will hit 100 million subscribers anytime soon if ever.  Especially if there's no free service.  A lot of people have already said there's no reason to leave Spotify and at least they have a free option.  What will Apple have that would drive 100 million paying users to?   I'm not going to pay $10 a month for a music subscription, let alone $10 for that, plus another $30-$40 for Apple's TV service.    I'm not going to pay any of it, how's that!!!  I'll continue to Amazon Prime Music right now.  The App is pretty good.  It's like Pandora and Spotify in one.  With a lot of pluses, and since I'm already a Amazon Prime Member which includes Music, TV, Movies, free e-book a month, Free send day shipping, etc for $99 a year is $8.25 a month.   Now if Apple wants to sell their TV service and Music service together at $10 per month, I'd sign up!!!   That would be something that would stand out from everyone else big time and get people to sign up, and maybe get that 100 million number.   I just don't see that happening, let alone 100 million.  That's a lofty goal that'll never see the light of day.

• Reply 17 of 27
    delreyjonesdelreyjones Posts: 335member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The information comes from an Associated Press source, who did not specify a timeline for Apple's target

If Apple repeats the 100 million number today, then it's a meaningful goal worthy of analysis and discussion.  If Apple doesn't mention that number, then we should think of the number as a rumor with no connection to reality.

• Reply 18 of 27
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    cropr wrote: »

Personally I will never consider switching from Spotify to Apple Music if not all my devices are supported.  And next to my Mac,  iPad and iPhone, I also have some Android, Windows and Linux stuff. 

Of course other users have other requirements.  But that is exactly the point.  You cannot make the assumption that all users share your own expectation. 

A service that does not run on all frequently used platforms has a weaker offering than a service that runs on all devices.  And I don't see people buying an iPhone because of Apple Music. 

Exactly! If I'm going to spend money every month, I need it to work on EVERY device I use now or may use in the future. Just like what I have now. I love using Google Play Music through my iPhone as I drive. No matter what phone, tablet, computer or TV box/stick I have now I can play my music instantly. You restricte that to just your small ecosystem than you don't get my money.
  • Reply 19 of 27
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JBDragon View Post

100 million?  This has to be a joke!!!!  There is no way in hell Apple will hit 100 million subscribers anytime soon if ever.  Especially if there's no free service.  A lot of people have already said there's no reason to leave Spotify and at least they have a free option.  What will Apple have that would drive 100 million paying users to?   I'm not going to pay $10 a month for a music subscription, let alone $10 for that, plus another $30-$40 for Apple's TV service.    I'm not going to pay any of it, how's that!!!  I'll continue to Amazon Prime Music right now.  The App is pretty good.  It's like Pandora and Spotify in one.  With a lot of pluses, and since I'm already a Amazon Prime Member which includes Music, TV, Movies, free e-book a month, Free send day shipping, etc for $99 a year is $8.25 a month.   Now if Apple wants to sell their TV service and Music service together at $10 per month, I'd sign up!!!   That would be something that would stand out from everyone else big time and get people to sign up, and maybe get that 100 million number.   I just don't see that happening, let alone 100 million.  That's a lofty goal that'll never see the light of day.

I have the same basic view. I refuse to be 'fee'd' to death. At least Amazon bundles... however...they also don't make much money. While Bezos is still there, they might be able to get a way with not have much profit... but as soon as some MBA type gets in there and falls prey to Wall Street expectations... not sure how long that can keep that going.

For now, Ill buy my music or listen to radio stations... with ad's.

Signed-- Ol'Coot.

• Reply 20 of 27
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Let me guess.  You won't buy gasoline unless its 10 cents a gallon.

talk about dillusional.

No... he simply does not want to pay for a service he does not see a value in! Geesh.