Apple's 'Move to iOS' app transports user data from Android to iPhone

Posted:
in iPhone edited June 2015
With an eye on easing the transition from Android to the iOS ecosystem, Apple plans to offer switchers a special Android app that wirelessly transfers personal data, downloaded apps and other information over to a new iPhone.

While not mentioned at WWDC on Monday, the new app is a bold move in Apple's long-standing war against Google's rival operating system, one that is necessary to better compete as smartphone saturation reaches all-time highs in developed markets.

According to Apple's iOS 9 preview webpage, Android users can rely on the Move to iOS app to transfer contacts, message history, photos and video, Web bookmarks, mail accounts, calendars and even wallpapers. Certain content, like DRM-protected songs and e-books, are not eligible for transfer, though DRM-free media will be moved over automatically.

Not simply a bulk data mover, Move to iOS analyzes a user's free Android apps and makes suggestions to rebuild their catalog with iOS versions. Titles determined to be paid apps are added to their iTunes Wish List for later purchase.

It is not yet clear when the app will be available, but the wireless transfer process appears to rely on iOS 9 assets.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    This should be interesting, will all the versious version of Android out there, I wonder how well this will work. I give one example, Even though Google allowed backup service on Android and there are programs like titanium which will have transfer all this stuff apple says they will do it did not work on Motorola and other phones unless you rooted the phone. Motorola blocked access to this information, mostly not to make is easy for users to easily switch to a competing Android device. I assuming Apple is trageting Samsung mostly since Samsung support Android backup.
  • Reply 2 of 32
    pistispistis Posts: 247member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

This should be interesting, will all the versious version of Android out there, I wonder how well this will work. I give one example, Even though Google allowed backup service on Android and there are programs like titanium which will have transfer all this stuff apple says they will do it did not work on Motorola and other phones unless you rooted the phone. Motorola blocked access to this information, mostly not to make is easy for users to easily switch to a competing Android device. I assuming Apple is trageting Samsung mostly since Samsung support Android backup.

Finnaly a glass of ice water in Hell for the poor wretched souls who have sinned!

• Reply 3 of 32
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Android zombie must die! This is just another arrow in the brainpan!

• Reply 4 of 32
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Android zombie must die! This is just another arrow in the brainpan!

"I used to be an Android user until I took an arrow in the brainpan."

• Reply 5 of 32
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member

I just tried this and it wont work. I keep getting the message "your Andorid software is out of date". Weird because I just bought my galaxy phone a few weeks ago. 

• Reply 6 of 32
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Boltsfan17 View Post

I keep getting the message "your Andorid software is out of date". 

This is no problem.

It's normal for most Android users.

• Reply 7 of 32
    What's a matter, Bucky?
    You believed the lies the pundits purveyed and bought a pig in a poke running Andriod?
    And now you feel trapped in an archaic ecosystem where even your OS is out of date?

Well, lift your chin little Dude,
    Step bravely up and join the proud parade of phone, pad and pod people.
    There's an app for that!
    [B][I]Move[/I][/B] over Android, your day is done, time to walk on new grass, sing a new song
    And painlessly and promptly prosper with all your data on an iPhone... [B][I]Move![/I][/B]
  • Reply 8 of 32
    If they created a deal with their developers to transfer licensing for paid apps, they'd have a real winner.
  • Reply 9 of 32
    christopher126christopher126 Posts: 4,366member

Wow, pretty cool. I work with an android user who is very hostile towards Apple. 

I told him he and the Taliban are the only one's left using Android phones. He didn't think it was funny. 

I came to work one day with my ball cap on backwards and he asked me if I was going to go rob a convenience store....I told him first I was going to buy an android phone then rob a convenience store. He didn't think that was funny, either. Oh well.

Best.

• Reply 10 of 32
    paulmjohnsonpaulmjohnson Posts: 1,380member
    This is a tremendous idea.

The fact that Apple went out of their way to get my data off a Windows PC back in the day made the decision to switch much easier. This should achieve the same for phones.
  • Reply 11 of 32

Checkmate!

And how hilariously apropos! This is all made possible thanks to android being "open" and not protecting customer data. Since Apple does protect its customers' data, this kind of app would be much more difficult to implement in the opposite direction (assuming anyone would want to do such a crazy thing).

This is a barbed hook that google will be unable to remove (at least not without great effort [overhauling android's TOS, and new software update] and/or injury [PR]). Great cast,* Tim!

*Keeping the fishing analogy going.

• Reply 12 of 32
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    You know you're too big when Apple has to make an app for you.
  • Reply 13 of 32
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    Checkmate!

And how hilariously apropos! This is all made possible thanks to android being "open" and not protecting customer data. Since Apple does protect its customers' data, this kind of app would be much more difficult to implement in the opposite direction (assuming anyone would want to do such a crazy thing).

This is a barbed hook that google will be unable to remove (at least not without great effort [overhauling android's TOS, and new software update] and/or injury [PR]). Great cast,* Tim!

[SIZE=10px]*Keeping the fishing analogy going.[/SIZE]

Ok, not to start a war but this is just a ignorant comment. Of course you can get anything you want out of an iPhone just as easily and have been able to for over a year now.
    http://www.samsung.com/us/smart-switch/
  • Reply 14 of 32
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    sirlance99 wrote: »
    Ok, not to start a war but this is just a ignorant comment. Of course you can get anything you want out of an iPhone just as easily and have been able to for over a year now.
    Motorola Migrate does the same thing. Been around for awhile too and updated last year to even include iCloud data.

EDIT: Both people that used it said it worked great. :D
  • Reply 15 of 32
    rrcaseyrrrcaseyr Posts: 2member
    iOS is for kids and immature teenagers who get whatever they want. Android is for people who've grown up, or just don't have truckloads of money to burn
  • Reply 16 of 32
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Verizon have an app to do this, and AT&T. Lots out there, but nice to see apple get onboard. The apps idea is new.
  • Reply 17 of 32
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SirLance99 View Post

You know you're too big when Apple has to make an app for you.

You know too many people are switching to iPhone when Apple has to make an app for you.

• Reply 18 of 32
    If they created a deal with their developers to transfer licensing for paid apps, they'd have a real winner.

Agreed. Apple could offer a $50 iTunes credit for people who buy an iPhone and want to switch from Android. Split it 50:50 with the developers (Apple pays $25 for the cost of the Apps and the developers agree to knock 50% off regular price).

Then during the conversion the user gets to decide which Apps they want to use the $50 for.
  • Reply 19 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Motorola Migrate does the same thing. Been around for awhile too and updated last year to even include iCloud data.

EDIT: Both people that used it said it worked great. image

Hmm, maybe I'm wrong. Admittedly I'm not very familiar with the apps/services you and sir lance are mentioning. Are they similar in the scope of information they can transfer relative to Apple's option?

Edit: Just caught your edit. Good one ;)

• Reply 20 of 32
    Quote:

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

Agreed. Apple could offer a $50 iTunes credit for people who buy an iPhone and want to switch from Android. Split it 50:50 with the developers (Apple pays $25 for the cost of the Apps and the developers agree to knock 50% off regular price).

Then during the conversion the user gets to decide which Apps they want to use the $50 for.

Good to entice but bad for PR. Long standing Apple customers should actually get more perks.