AppleInsider podcast talks WWDC, privacy, Metal, Swift and more

Posted:
in General Discussion edited June 2015
This week's all-new AppleInsider podcast features Daniel Eran Dilger as we discuss Apple's WWDC keynote, Apple Music, Apple News, Wallet, privacy and Apple's apps for Android phones. Daniel gives us a view into what's important to Apple, how it changes the industry, and what matters for consumers.

AppleInsider staff members Daniel Eran Dilger and Victor Marks discuss the top stories from Apple's 2015 Worldwide Developers Conference:
  • Apple Music

• Apple new News app in iOS 9

• Wallet

• Metal

• Apple's approach to privacy

• iOS 9 and OS X changes

• Apple, Swift, and open source
The show is available on iTunes and your favorite podcast apps by searching for "AppleInsider." Click here to listen, subscribe, and don't forget to rate our show.

You can also listen to it embedded via SoundCloud below:

Show note links: Follow our hosts on Twitter: @danieleran and @vmarks

We'd appreciate your feedback and comments, as well as any questions that we can answer on future episodes. Send your responses to the AppleInsider podcast at [email protected] and follow or tweet at us @appleinsider.

Finally, anyone interested in sponsoring the show can reach out to us at [email protected].

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    Nevermind, it just loaded for me.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    So music in the background, slamming doors etc., doesn't really add to the podcast. I'd venture to say it is annoying. For some. Like me.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I wanted to listen to this one, but as the poster above me mentioned, the background noises were so aggravating I had to stop after several minutes.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    vmarksvmarks Posts: 762editor

That was all sound in the background on Dan's side of the call. It's hard when you're traveling to find a quiet location to speak from.

• Reply 5 of 13
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    vmarks wrote: »

That was all sound in the background on Dan's side of the call. It's hard when you're traveling to find a quiet location to speak from.

That's what I thought. Better luck next week.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

The background noise didn't bother me too much, I actually thought it was better than last time as the speakers weren't speaking over each other, the whole thing flowed a lot better. 

This has been a big WWDC for Mac gaming, it would be good if you could do some interviews with Mac game developers about the new tech.

• Reply 8 of 13

I thought this podcast provided the best synopsis of WWDC by the guest (I think it was Dan on-site) of any podcast I listen too, Rebound, Clockwise, MacWorld. Just excellent.

I appreciate Dan's insights.  Especially as they relate to Apple's recent history.

Apple doesn't outline it's future plans too much, but Dan puts the recent past into context and lays out what that means for the future. I thought it fascinating. 

I understand about the background noises, but Americans are unnecessarily loud, anyway.

Best.

• Reply 9 of 13
    blah64blah64 Posts: 993member
    Any chance these will get transcribed and posted as combo-articles? I have no interest in the slow, inefficient and extremely linear process of listening to a podcast. Reading/skimming articles is fast and quiet.

I see the value of podcasts for people who have to commute, or are otherwise unable to read the articles directly, and if the podcasts are just audio rehashes of existing articles, then certainly no need to go from one medium to another and back again. But a title like "Apple's approach to privacy" does draw my interest, and if you guys have something new to add to the existing discussions, that would be nice to read.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    Well here's an interesting twist concerning targeted ads, data mining and how those things apply to Apple's Wallet, a feature discussed in the podcast. Newly posted today by Apple:

[SIZE=4][B]iAd helps marketers push Offers to iPhone[/B][/SIZE]
    June 12, 2015
    Offers allow marketers to put customized, dynamic messages directly into the Wallet that’s built into every iPhone - and accessible via Apple Watch.

Marketers can reach loyal customers with specific messages that reflect the customers’ interests, or convert a new customer by presenting a reason to try something new.

Because iPhones are location-aware, so are Offers. Offers can be updated to present new messages dynamically, and also triggered with updates specific to a store location via iBeacon. Offers can also be targeted by age, gender, geography, or custom segments built by the marketer, and updated as often as required to keep messages fresh.

Wallet is available with iOS 9."

http://advertising.apple.com/news/

It seems Apple is not against targeted ads or data-mining despite Mr. Cooks recent statements.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    It seems Apple is not against targeted ads or data-mining despite Mr. Cooks recent statements.

I'm aware of Cooks recent privacy comments regarding platforms where you are the product and not the customer, but I'm not aware of the quotes you're referring to. can you quote them?
  • Reply 12 of 13
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    gatorguy wrote: »

I'm aware of Cooks recent privacy comments regarding platforms where you are the product and not the customer, but I'm not aware of the quotes you're referring to. can you quote them?

I think the quotes you're referring to are the very same ones GG is referring to.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    I did. Those are from Apple's news page for advertisers. Since you missed the link the first time here it is again

http://advertising.apple.com/news/

Includes announcement of new ad-targeting features in Wallet, Apple Music and News, making "you are the product" according to the popular meme. Just the kinds of things Tim Cook just pointedly proclaimed Apple had no interest in.