iOS 9 code suggests 2,732-by-2,048-pixel display for 12.9-inch 'iPad Pro'

Posted:
in iPad edited June 2015
Code buried in the iOS 9 developer beta suggests Apple's 12.9-inch "iPad Pro" is poised to use a high-resolution 2,732-by-2,048-pixel display, with a pixel density of about 263 pixels per inch.

The code is tied to the new keyboard size discovered in iOS 9 earlier on Monday, and was highlighted by developers Hiraku Wang and Steve Troughton-Smith. Although the actual code refers to a resolution of 1,366 by 1,024 pixels, Retina scaling implies a real hardware resolution of 2,732 by 2,048 pixels.

The pixel density is effectively identical to that of the iPad Air 2, which has a 2,048-by-1,536-pixel panel.

The iPad Pro is expected to ship sometime later this year with features such as NFC, Force Touch, a USB-C port, and support for an Apple-made Bluetooth stylus. Screen size will likely be the main selling point however, making the most out of iOS 9's split-screen multitasking.

The Pro's onscreen keyboard should display many more keys, including a complete extra row with characters such as parentheses and plus and minus symbols.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11

Seems like an odd size. Should be 3072 x 2048, or double the existing iPad screen. Then you could run 2 full screen Apps side-by-side and retain the exact same resolution as a regular iPad for each App.

• Reply 2 of 11
    mgzmgz Posts: 26member

Not necessary, iOS 9 supports side-by-side multi-tasking that takes advantage of "Size Classes" and AutoLayout to support the notion of compact/regular size displays, and developers should have been utilizing these since iOS 8. If they've done so, their apps will run perfectly fine in split screen without the two sides being the way you describe.

• Reply 3 of 11
    Seems like an odd size. Should be 3072 x 2048, or double the existing iPad screen. Then you could run 2 full screen Apps side-by-side and retain the exact same resolution as a regular iPad for each App.

You should check your math.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

Wrong. iPad "Pro" screen resolution is only 25% more than Air (12.9 "vs 9.7"). So, the resolution 2732 x 2048 is correct based on 4:3 aspect ratio.  Your calculated resolution is for 3:2 aspect ratio...which is WRONG.

BTW, 2732 x 2048 at 12.93" diagonal is 264 dpi which is consistent with 9.7" Retina iPad.

• Reply 5 of 11
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

Wrong. iPad "Pro" screen resolution is only 25% more than Air (12.9 "vs 9.7"). So, the resolution 2732 x 2048 is correct based on 4:3 aspect ratio.  Your calculated resolution is for 3:2 aspect ratio...which is WRONG.

BTW, 2732 x 2048 at 12.93" diagonal is 264 dpi which is consistent with 9.7" Retina iPad.

Why is 3:2 wrong? This is a new class of iPad intended for "pro" users and doesn't really need to fit into the 4:3 ratio that smaller iPads do. I know 4:3 is better for a regular iPad as content looks better (like web pages or reading books) in portrai mode than other ridiculous widescreen tablets (which are pretty much useless in portrait mode).

A 12.9" iPad no longer needs to fit into the confines of an aspect ratio that made sense on previous iPads.

Quote:

Originally Posted by slickdealer View Post

You should check your math.

Nothing wrong with my math. It's pretty clear, since I gave numbers, that I meant doubling in one direction to make it the equivalent of two iPads. Doubling in both (4096 x 3072) would be overkill.

• Reply 7 of 11
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    I thought they would go with a 3072x2304 pixel resolution. Which at 12.9" is almost 300ppi (at 12.8" exactly 300ppi) which would make the iPad Pro an ideal magazine/print replacement which usually standardize at 300ppi. That's also 3x3 pixels for every original iPad pixel as opposed to 2x2 pixels on the iPad Air, making it easier to scale apps, but requiring a lot of GPU power!
  • Reply 8 of 11
    It is time ipad to go sharper. That's too little for a 2015 tablet. Current iPad should go 4000X3000 and iPad Pro equivalently bigger
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Quote:

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

Why is 3:2 wrong? This is a new class of iPad intended for "pro" users and doesn't really need to fit into the 4:3 ratio that smaller iPads do. I know 4:3 is better for a regular iPad as content looks better (like web pages or reading books) in portrai mode than other ridiculous widescreen tablets (which are pretty much useless in portrait mode).

A 12.9" iPad no longer needs to fit into the confines of an aspect ratio that made sense on previous iPads.

Nothing wrong with my math. It's pretty clear, since I gave numbers, that I meant doubling in one direction to make it the equivalent of two iPads. Doubling in both (4096 x 3072) would be overkill.

did you even mention 3:2 aspect ratio which no way Apple will make for iPad due to existing apps compatibility?  If you don't know what's wrong with your math, do some search on resolution render and aspect ratio.

• Reply 10 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1983 View Post

I thought they would go with a 3072x2304 pixel resolution. Which at 12.9" is almost 300ppi (at 12.8" exactly 300ppi) which would make the iPad Pro an ideal magazine/print replacement which usually standardize at 300ppi. That's also 3x3 pixels for every original iPad pixel as opposed to 2x2 pixels on the iPad Air, making it easier to scale apps, but requiring a lot of GPU power!

300ppi is over killed.

• Reply 11 of 11
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member

Where's the KickStand?