bootcamp assistant problems

Posted:
in macOS edited June 2015

I am trying to run a microsoft programmed USB for work. Or said differently, the USB was set up to run on microsoft computers, not mac. I have a new (legal) Windows 8.1 package that I am attempting to install on my five year old macbook pro with OSX 10.6.8. It requires I use Boot Camp Assistant. When I try to do the Boot Camp step by step it tells me to download support software. When I try to do that within Boot Camp it tries and after a while comes back with a triangle with an exclamation mark saying support software unavailable. Nothing more, no other options, just not available. I tried more than once because clearly I am not computer savvy and same result. Im stuck. Cant use Boot Camp so cant use the USB for work. If I dont get this right, I get fired, I cant pay for my house or groceries, I become homeless, I get agitated that I cant feed my kids, I have to rob a bank to get the money, I get caught, I go to prison and become the new toy for a huge axe murderer.

I would rather get the Boot Camp fixed. Would anyone be kind enough to help. Thx. 

Lou

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    The supported models are listed here:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204048

If it's a 13" 2010 model, only Windows 7 is supported, otherwise the software is the download here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1720

That's just the drivers to support the hardware. You can install Windows 8 without Bootcamp, the Bootcamp software just sets up the partition, sets up BIOS on older machines and lets you create a software disk to install drivers after Windows is installed.

Another route you can go is to use virtual machine software like VMWare or Parallels:

http://www.vmware.com/products/fusion

They support hardware devices too. It runs as an app under OS X and you install Windows into a disk image. It then boots Windows inside OS X and when you plug hardware in, it asks to connect it to the Windows app. Native Windows with Bootcamp is more compatible but if the virtual machine works, it can be a more convenient way to go because it avoids partitioning the drive.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    lbpa18lbpa18 Posts: 2member

Thanks Marvin.

Quote:

That's just the drivers to support the hardware. You can install Windows 8 without Bootcamp, the Bootcamp software just sets up the partition, sets up BIOS on older machines and lets you create a software disk to install drivers after Windows is installed.

Sorry but "drivers", "partition", "BIOS", and "software disk" arent familiar terms. I already have the Windows 8.1 disk and my mac wouldnt run it. A Google search resulted in the Boot Camp attempt. Is there a way to run this so the result is the ability to run the USB thumbdrive?

I had parallels and it wouldnt run the USB thumbdrive either. I never used it, it would frequently pop up and get it the way, so after it wouldnt run the thumbdrive I uninstalled it. So I think that option is out. 

• Reply 3 of 3
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    lbpa18 wrote: »
    Sorry but "drivers", "partition", "BIOS", and "software disk" arent familiar terms.

The Bootcamp app splits your drive into two partitions, one with the Mac operating system and the other with Windows, each with a different format. If your drive was say 500GB in size, you might give 400GB to the Mac side and 100GB to Windows. The Mac side then can't use that 100GB of space allocated to Windows. This process can result in accidentally erasing the Mac side so it's a good idea to have a full backup before setting Bootcamp up.

Apple makes the hardware and for hardware like laptop trackpads, display brightness controls, media keys, graphics chips to all work correctly, they need software that controls them under Windows and these are the Bootcamp drivers that are provided by Apple. These usually download as a disk image that you put onto a USB pen or DVD and this is the software disk.

BIOS is a lower level hardware control that deals with how install discs are recognised.
    lbpa18 wrote: »
    I already have the Windows 8.1 disk and my mac wouldnt run it. A Google search resulted in the Boot Camp attempt. Is there a way to run this so the result is the ability to run the USB thumbdrive?

I had parallels and it wouldnt run the USB thumbdrive either. I never used it, it would frequently pop up and get it the way, so after it wouldnt run the thumbdrive I uninstalled it. So I think that option is out.

VMWare is quite good at dealing with hardware but it might still get in the way of working with OS X as it's an app inside it.

The first thing you need to do is get through the bootcamp installer process. Like I say, it's a good idea to have a full backup first in case anything goes wrong.
    The following page has step-by-step instructions on how to get past the failed software download:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2793568?tstart=0

You choose the option that says you have the software on your OS X disc, which will let you get past that point. Then you can partition the drive. The Windows OS on it's own uses up about 15GB so you need to set the size of the Windows side to be enough to install software. If you won't be putting much software on it, you can get away about 40GB. Whatever amount you choose will no longer be usable by the Mac side.

Once the process has completed, it will reboot and expect the Windows disc to be inserted. If it doesn't boot from the disc, you can hold the alt/option key when booting to reach a screen that will let you choose the disc.

This will run through a Windows installer. If it reaches a point where it asks you to format the drive before installing, make sure the one you choose isn't the Mac one. You will be able to tell from the sizes.

When Windows has finished installing, that's when you'll need to install the drivers and you can download them from the site I linked to before, you choose the download for the computer you have:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204048

These get installed while you are booted into Windows. To switch between Mac and Windows, hold alt/option at boot and you'll see each one. The Mac should be set to boot by default so you'd only need to hold the key to get back into Windows.