Newbie to IRC

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Just downloaded IRCLE 3.0.4 and am very confused on how to use this tool. Would like to enter discussion groups for the Mac and Mac products. Can anyone provide a summary?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Okay, I haven't used it in a while so I'm not 100% sure on this, but...

Go to the Connections window and click the Server button. It may be a different button, but it's one of the ones in the Connections window. Anyway, you're looking for a big dialog box with a list of hundreds of different IRC servers. Click the Add button and type in the IRC server address (for example, irc.appleinsider.com or irc.amsterdam.nl.eu.undernet.org). There should also be a pop up window that has different types of connections. I really don't know what this does, but if the IRC address has undernet in the name, select undernet. Otherwise, don't put anything. Then in the connections window, once you've gotten rid of the dialog box, you should see the name of the server you've added. Click the connect button and it'll connect you to a server. Then you need to join a chat channel in that server. So type in /join and then the name of the channel (for example, #macnn is on appleinsider, and #macintosh is on amsterdam etc). Then you can just chat with the people on the channel.

I hope these aren't too confusing! Good luck getting it to work.