Amazon Echo now available for all US customers to purchase, ships July 14

Posted:
in General Discussion edited June 2015
Amazon on Tuesday officially opened up orders to the general public for its Echo accessory, a Siri-like, always-on virtual assistant that exists in a standalone tubular speaker.

The Amazon Echo was previously limited as an invite-only purchase, but starting Tuesday, anyone in the U.S. can place an order for the voice-driven hardware. The online retailer has said that orders will begin shipping to U.S. customers on July 14.

The Echo actually launched last November, and to date it has earned a 4.5-star rating from reviewers on Amazon. The handsfree, always-on device delivers information, news, music, weather, traffic and more, and is priced at $179.99.

"The customer response to Amazon Echo has been incredibly positive, and we've been working hard to build more as quickly as possible," said Greg Hart, Vice President, Amazon Echo. "We are grateful to our early customers for their incredible engagement and for providing us with invaluable feedback to help shape Echo as it evolves--with their help, we've been able to add features like Audible, Pandora, home automation, sports scores, calendar, and more. We're excited to get Echo into the hands of even more customers and continue to invent new features and experiences."

Echo uses far-field voice recognition with an array of seven microphones, allowing it to hear the user clearly around the room. It also utilizes beam-forming technology to combine the signals from individual microphones to suppress noise, reverberation, and even competing speech.

The Echo is designed with advanced dual downward firing speakers that produce 360 degrees of omni-directional, room filling audio. Amazon says the device gets smarter over time, because its "brain" actually exists in the cloud.

Since November, Amazon has added support for Belkin WeMo and Philips Hue connected home products, as well as Pandora, Audible, Google Calendar, If This Then That, sports scores, traffic, Prime Music stations, and customized news. The Echo can also be used to re-order Prime-eligible products.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 38
    airnerdairnerd Posts: 693member
    You mean I can have Amazon constantly listening to everything I say? And it only costs me $180? Sweet!

Didn't buy it when I got the invite for $99, sure won't buy it now. Amazing how companies have figured out a way to get us to pay them to put products that funnel purchases and content requests directly to them. you would think for the right to sit in my house and be the sole source of my shopping list creation and music streaming, they would pay me.
  • Reply 2 of 38

Heya i am for the primary time here. I came across

this board and I find It truly useful & it helped me out

much. I am hoping to provide something back and help others like you aided me.

Alllicensekeys.com?

• Reply 3 of 38
    alanhalanh Posts: 75member

"that exists in a standalone tubular standalone speaker"

That would be standalone then?

• Reply 4 of 38
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member

I don't understand, what's the use case for this?  When you think about anyone who is okay with having one of these in their home already has either an iPhone, Android, or Windows phone with this functionality built-in?  And you have to pay $180 to boot?

• Reply 5 of 38
    macapfelmacapfel Posts: 575member
    And they even show an AppleWatch at 1:54?!
  • Reply 6 of 38
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by razorpit View Post

I don't understand, what's the use case for this?  When you think about anyone who is okay with having one of these in their home already has either an iPhone, Android, or Windows phone with this functionality built-in?  And you have to pay $180 to boot?

Essentially it is a precursor to being able to order anything you want on Amazon just by talking to Echo.

It'll be interesting for the owners when a TV advert comes on for it and the woman in the ad says "Echo, order me a new washing machine" and suddenly, thousands on Americans have a washing machine on order because their Echo heard the TV and thought it was a command.

• Reply 7 of 38
    Amazon seem to be taking a leaf out of Google's book.
    You know the one where Safari downloads a listening plugin that is always attached to the microphone of your laptop/device.

This snooping (because it is just what this is) has to stop. Do you want your conversations passed to the Government? I'm sure there is a feed somewhere. So you don't think that you have anything to hide. That's what Winston Smith thought.

This has to stop.

Siri ? No
    Cortana ? No
    This thing ? Never in a gazillion years.
  • Reply 8 of 38
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    I wouldn't buy one for myself, but I'm surprised at all the criticism (actually, I'm not, but if this were Apple's product, I'm sure we'd be hearing praise). I think they've done a great job at coming up with an imaginative way of changing form factor and further integrating voice-commands into daily life by providing functionality that doesn't feel like you're using a computer or smartphone.

Of course, the proof is in how it works in practical daily use and I suspect it's probably as frustrating to use as Siri sometimes is and very limited in its capabilities.

One of the many reasons that I wouldn't personally buy it is because for music, it's not stereo.

The re-ordering capability on Prime is practically useless, IMO. I've never bought anything on Amazon that needed to be "re-filled".

If this does everything it's claimed to and if the sound is decent, I don't think that $180 is outrageous. Most of the small amp/speaker systems for phones/pods cost that much.
  • Reply 9 of 38
    razorpit wrote: »

Creepy prediction. The solution to any problem in life is a product, sold by Amazon.
  • Reply 10 of 38
    formosaformosa Posts: 261member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rotateleftbyte View Post

Amazon seem to be taking a leaf out of Google's book.

You know the one where Safari downloads a listening plugin that is always attached to the microphone of your laptop/device.

This snooping (because it is just what this is) has to stop. Do you want your conversations passed to the Government? I'm sure there is a feed somewhere. So you don't think that you have anything to hide. That's what Winston Smith thought.

I don't think this device is at the level of "Google-creepy" yet, but, once in your home... double-plus ungood.

• Reply 11 of 38

I recall someone here (Solipsism?) saying he had one and it worked quite well, especially in terms of the voice control.

• Reply 12 of 38
    I'd be wary of saying anything to this product sourced from Amazon, especially going by the name of 'Echo'... it will probably hear you twice and smartly double up on the order! Kerching-kerching!
  • Reply 13 of 38
    nobodyynobodyy Posts: 377member

It's not even the creepiness level because I'm used to it with the electronics of now, but the price for the value. 

I don't see how a $180 tube can effectively replace the functionality of Siri or Google now, which are now attached at the wrist. As the tube, you lose the visual feedback component that is incredibly useful for performing heavy weight tasks.

• Reply 14 of 38
    paulmjohnsonpaulmjohnson Posts: 1,380member

I'm actually quite impressed with mine.  It's speech recognition, while still limited in function (though they keep adding more to it) is impressive, even at long range (mine's in the corner of the kitchen, and it picks up what I tell it a good 20m away).  Using it to build a shopping list is surprisingly intuitive and useful (when you're rooting through the pantry and you find you don't have something you need, just saying, Alexa, add "x" to my shopping list" becomes second nature).

Music playbacks better than I expected as well - a surprisingly big sound for a small speaker.  Obviously it's not something you'd sit and listen to music on, but for incidental "background" music, it's great.

It's also a very well made piece of hardware.

As someone else said earlier in the thread, if Apple had made this, everyone would be banging on about how amazing it is.

• Reply 15 of 38

Got one and have been programming it using Amazon's Alexa SDK and Lambda functions for a while. It's crackerjack - really like it.

• Reply 16 of 38
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    Imagine all the tens of ... dozens people who will buy this !
  • Reply 17 of 38
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    clemynx wrote: »
    Imagine all the tens of ... dozens people who will buy this !

I hope this doesn't damage Amazon's finances (any more). :D I love my Amazon Prime, I'd hate to see Amazon go under.
  • Reply 18 of 38
    singularitysingularity Posts: 1,328member
    alanh wrote: »
    "that exists in a standalone tubular standalone speaker"

That would be standalone then?
    it's so antisocial it won't stand by itself. It goes off to a corner to away from itself
  • Reply 19 of 38
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    it's so antisocial it won't stand by itself. It goes off to a corner to away from itself

I wonder if you bought two if they'd argue?
  • Reply 20 of 38
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,361member
    So this is like a giant baby monitor network and Amazon has a warehouse full of surrogate "parents" listening in on their babies. Now there's a job opportunity- Amazon baby monitor surrogate parent listener.

Since more than a fair share of reading takes place, ahem, in the bathroom perhaps Amazon can skinny down the tube a little more and make it also work as a toilet paper holder. Of course they'll have to put a low pass filter on it to filter out anything less than ... 3. Now there's a job that the baby monitor listeners above can be glad they don't have. Imagine the scenario: long low frequency pause on Bob's bathroom Echo Tube = automatically schedule the delivery of another one pound block of Cracker Barrel Sharp Cheddar from Amazon to Bob - next day delivery, rush if Bob is an Amazon Prime member.