LG widescreen monitor not always recognized in Bootcamp/Windows 8.1 Pro

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited June 2015

I have a Mid 2011 iMac 27" connected to an LG 34UM95 Widescreen Monitor via Thunderbolt. I'm running Yosemite and all software is up-to-date. Everything is running perfectly on the Mac side. However, when I run Bootcamp with Windows 8.1 Pro, the LG monitor is not always recognized. About half the time (or maybe a bit more than half the time) the screen will stay dark AND my iMac screen will be "low res" (like 6xx by 4xx or something) with black bars on either side of it. Upon a restart, sometimes the LG will be recognized with full resolution (3440 x 1440) and other times it will simply stay dark. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme nor reason as to when it will be recognized and when not. All I can do it seems is continue to restart the machine and hope that it lights up. According to the LG manual, there are no drivers needed for this. Any suggestions or ideas for solving this would be much appreciated. I'm a 20+ year Mac user but relatively new to Windows. I've been to the "Displays" settings in Windows and, when the LG is recognized, it shows all is well, with full resolution, etc. Not sure what else to try. Thanks.