Apple renews Liquidmetal exclusivity license into 2016

Posted:
in General Discussion edited July 2015
Apple renewed its license for exclusive use of Liquidmetal's bulk amorphous alloy technology in consumer products for another year, according to a U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission filing disclosed on Tuesday.

iPhone 3G SIM card ejector tool. | Source: Flickr user Jamie McCall.

Liquidmetal Technologies' event filing, posted to the firm's investor relations webpage, notes Apple entered into an agreement to prolong rights to the exotic material on June 17. Effective dates have been extended from Feb. 5, 2015 to Feb. 5, 2016.

The licensing extension is the third amendment to Liquidmetal's dealings with Apple, which has held exclusive rights to material patents since striking an initial agreement in 2010. All patent dealings are now funneled through wholly-owned Liquidmetal subsidiary Crucible Intellectual Property.

MacRumors also reported on the filing today.

Despite having access to the exotic metal, and a growing cache of production patents, Apple has yet to conspicuously incorporate the material in a consumer device. The most notable product thus far has been a small SIM card ejector tool introduced with the iPhone 3G. Speculation holds that Apple could be machining internal device components from bulk amorphous alloys without advertising the fact.

In 2014, Apple SVP of Design Jony Ive said the company was working to incorporate new materials across a variety of new device form factors, sparking rumors of Liquidmetal-encased iPhones and iPads. With the introduction of Apple Watch, however, it is likely Ive was referring to strengthened 18-karat gold, sapphire and ceramics.

Liquidmetal, a commercial name for a class of amorphous, non-crystalline material, boasts properties appealing to electronic device manufacturers. For example, the material is 2.5 times stronger than titanium and 1.5 times harder than stainless steel commonly used in consumer products.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    ralphmouthralphmouth Posts: 192member

I really feel like Apple has something big in mind for Liquid Metal.

• Reply 2 of 29
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member

Oh wow. That is fantastic!

Hopefully we'll see SIM Removal Tool v.II  soon!!!

• Reply 3 of 29
    teco221teco221 Posts: 12member
    Because car is more complex to make!!!! ????????????
  • Reply 4 of 29
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    I'm surprised they don't just buy the company.
  • Reply 5 of 29
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by saarek View Post

I agree. Buy 'em and keep that stuff exclusive permanently.

• Reply 6 of 29
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    You can block others from using it, if you can't use it yourself.
  • Reply 7 of 29
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    Quote:

I'm not. I'm surprised when apple does buy a company.

• Reply 8 of 29
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    Quote:

I wish they would.

• Reply 9 of 29
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,645member
    We hear about this every year. It sounds like things are just taking too long, but no one else has anything with more potential.
  • Reply 10 of 29
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    saarek wrote: »

It would be foolish on Apples part because the technology is promising in so many areas outside of Apples core businesses. No doubt this is why the license is so focused on consumer electronic goods.
  • Reply 11 of 29
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    eriamjh wrote: »
    We hear about this every year. It sounds like things are just taking too long, but no one else has anything with more potential.

This is the problem with secrets that aren't so secret. Early knowledge builds up expectations in people that don't understand R&D and manufacturing technologies. It can literally take years to put together a complete production system for new materials like this.
  • Reply 12 of 29
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Liquidmetal, Liquidmetal, Liquidmetal.....

I still waiting for the stock to turn from being Solidtrash. :D
  • Reply 13 of 29
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Liquidmetal, Liquidmetal, Liquidmetal.....

I still waiting for the stock to turn from being Solidtrash. image

The company is still solid, it's the stock market and investors giving AAPL fits. I think the likelihood of Sog seeing $150 by the end of the year is more and more unlikely at this point. The stock is in the doldrums no reason whatsoever. Blame Greece...it's as good as any excuse.

• Reply 14 of 29
    eriamjh wrote: »

Now that Samsung has metal phone cases, maybe this was what Apple was waiting for to make their next leap. I think Apple has a long term strategy for their product lines - pushing technology to keep the fast followers just barely off balance...
  • Reply 15 of 29

The SIM card ejector tool is LiquidMetal?  Amazing if true!

• Reply 16 of 29
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,960member
    I wonder how much this play is costing. If it's minimal, why not? But I suspect minimal would not be worth it to Liquidmetal.
  • Reply 17 of 29
    I'm waiting on 20,000 shares of LQMT to pop up. It would be a nice jackpot.
  • Reply 18 of 29
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member

Apple needs to work out a simple, efficient and cheap way to manufacture iPhone using Liquid Metal with the scale Apple are operating. 

Then there is the problem with Radio Frequency pass through.

• Reply 19 of 29
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member

This continuing saga with Apple and Liquidmetal reminds me a bit of Graphene. Another exotic material with 'amazing' properties that you keep on sporadically reading about in the science/technology media over many years, but nothing actually comes of it...no products using the stuff ever come to market in a significant way. I do think Liquidmetal has actually got more production potential than Graphene, but its still taking too long.

• Reply 20 of 29
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ksec View Post

Apple needs to work out a simple, efficient and cheap way to manufacture iPhone using Liquid Metal with the scale Apple are operating. 

Then there is the problem with Radio Frequency pass through.

Why is RF pass through a problem? I would of thought it an advantage, as you can potentially construct casings for devices like smartphones without leaving a 'window' for the internal radios to function, like you have to do today with casings constructed from metals like aluminium. And any potential harmful radiation emanating from a device you can take care of internally using metal foils or cages over the offending areas. Like you also do today with electronic products constructed with plastic casings...which are amorphous too.