Apple Music ad blitz moves to Times Square with Beats 1 billboard

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited June 2015
In preparation of the upcoming Apple Music launch on June 30, Apple installed a gigantic billboard in Times Square this week advertising its unique live-streaming Beats 1 radio service.

Apple's Beats 1 radio billboard in Times Square. | Source: Zane Lowe via Twitter

Posted to Twitter by Beats 1 DJ Zane Lowe, the banner, sporting the catch phrase "Worldwide. Always on," dominates a billboard adorning the facade of the Marriott Marquis hotel. Apple shares ad space with T-Mobile, Disney's Aladdin Broadway musical and Liberty Basketball.

Located one block from Times Square, the Marriott Marquis New York is an impressive building popular among companies looking to enhance brand awareness on its block-wide billboard. Ironically, the most recent Google Maps Street View photo of the area shows that same ad space occupied by Android's "be together. not the same." campaign.

The physical ad is one of the first to promote Beats 1 separately from its host service Apple Music, which itself has enjoyed a huge media presence. Announced at WWDC earlier this month, Beats 1 is a live, always-on Internet radio station helmed by Lowe, who will DJ from Beats' headquarters in Los Angeles. DJs Ebro Darden in New York, Julie Adenuga in London, celebrity guest DJs and others will provide broadcasts to listeners in more than 100 countries.

Apple's upcoming subscription-based streaming service launches on June 30 priced at $9.99 for single users and $14.99 for families up to six people. Beats 1 radio is available without a subscription.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Wow, going all-in with this. 

• Reply 2 of 32
    Aladdin and T-Mobile should be paying for CPI.
  • Reply 3 of 32
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,241member

I really wish Apple would not use the silly American numeric date format 6.30.2015. Tell me which day this is.... 3.2.2015.

• Reply 4 of 32

They are claiming "Always On"... I wonder if Beats1 will be added to the iCloud Status page. hahahahaha

• Reply 5 of 32
    coolfactor wrote: »
    I really wish Apple would not use the silly American numeric date format 6.30.2015. Tell me which day this is.... 3.2.2015.

Um, I think 6.30 is pretty obvious.
  • Reply 6 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Yes, it's obvious, but that wasn't my point, now was it?

• Reply 7 of 32
    Can't wait. Goodbye spotify! I love everything apple does. And will always be loyal. I just know I can trust them and I feel safe. Can't say the same with other competing companies.
  • Reply 8 of 32

I wish Europeans would stop using periods instead of commas. 2.015.000,00 is no way to write out cost.

Likewise, stop using periods with years. 2.000 is not a year, it's a decimal set to the thousandths.
  • Reply 9 of 32
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

I wish Europeans would stop using periods instead of commas. 2.015.000,00 is no way to write out cost.

Likewise, stop using periods with years. 2.000 is not a year, it's a decimal set to the thousandths.

I'm not sure if your comment was meant with a sarcastic tone. Maybe next time I should just keep my mouth shut. I was simply pointing out an ambiguous data format that I've seen Apple using more frequently lately, even as they have become an even more international company.

• Reply 10 of 32
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by coolfactor View Post

I'm not sure if your comment was meant with a sarcastic tone. Maybe next time I should just keep my mouth shut. I was simply pointing out an ambiguous data format that I've seen Apple using more frequently lately, even as they have become an even more international company.

I know they are using this format in the US but I doubt they are using it in other countries that use different date format.

• Reply 11 of 32

Now back to Apple Music. I already cancelled my iTunes Match renewal (due in July) and cannot wait to get Apple Music for the whole family! I am also going to cancel my SiriusXM subscription. Any idea how much bandwidth music streaming consume per hour?

• Reply 12 of 32
    dugbugdugbug Posts: 283member
    I'm still a little confused about iTunes Match's role now
  • Reply 13 of 32
    Quote:

Originally Posted by coolfactor View Post

You live in Canada. We use the same system in Canada, so not sure what you're ranting about. 

• Reply 14 of 32
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dugbug View Post

I'm still a little confused about iTunes Match's role now

iTunes Match will die slow and painful death.

• Reply 15 of 32
    mobiusmobius Posts: 380member
    slurpy wrote: »

It's not obvious to non US citizens when the day portion is 12 or lower. I've lost count of the number of times I'm left scratching my head over what the actual date is. This isn't just an Apple problem, but there are apps, Apple apps, that are not following the date convention of the country that the you have set the device to - so it should know. I'm in the UK and the Notes app on the iPhone dates all the notes using the US format. Very confusing and annoying.
  • Reply 16 of 32
    mobiusmobius Posts: 380member

We use commas in the UK. I hate seeing dots/periods too in those instances!
  • Reply 17 of 32
    mobius wrote: »
    It's not obvious to non US citizens when the day portion is 12 or lower. I've lost count of the number of times I'm left scratching my head over what the actual date is. This isn't just an Apple problem, but there are apps, Apple apps, that are not following the date convention of the country that the you have set the device to - so it should know. I'm in the UK and the Notes app on the iPhone dates all the notes using the US format. Very confusing and annoying.

I just changed my region from US to UK and all date formatted to dd/mm/yyyy (even in Notes) like they supposed to. Regional formats are supposed to be global iOS feature so the operating system will take care of this for each app.
  • Reply 18 of 32
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member

I wish every nation would adopt the most efficient and pragmatic method for everything (based on my sole determination), but that isn't going to happen. That includes, but is not limited to, the comma for thousands separator and the period for the decimal point (a non-US issue) and adoption of the decimal system (a US issue). One could even say that we should use a YY/MM/DD format because on a file system it will arrange by date.

The question you need to ask yourself here is who is going to not understand this refers to June 30th, 2015?

mobius wrote: »

I don't understand. I just switched from US to UK on my iPhone and the system changes exactly how I would expect it to. This is one area I can't recall Apple ever getting it wrong.

400 400
  • Reply 19 of 32
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    What FM radio station isn't always on?
  • Reply 20 of 32
    foadfoad Posts: 717member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

What FM radio station isn't always on?

FM stations by their very nature are regional. Quite a lot of them have online broadcasts now but unless it is regionally relevant, they don't gain much traction outside their territory.