Apple Music service goes live with redesigned app, out now in iOS 8.4

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited July 2015
Apple on Tuesday released iOS 8.4 for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch, officially debuting the Apple Music subscription streaming service, as well as the Beats 1 live radio station set to start broadcasting at 9 a.m. Pacific, noon Eastern.

iOS 8.4 is now available through iTunes, or as an over-the-air update using the Software Update function in iOS's Settings app. In addition to the new Music app, it also includes improvements for iBooks and bug fixes.

Apple Music offers on-demand streaming of over 30 million songs, and features like Connect, a news feed where artists can post photos, videos, and comments for fans. The service costs $9.99 per month for a single user, or $14.99 for a family of up to six people. To start with, though, new subscribers get a three-month free trial.

Beats 1 is free to everyone, and includes music and interviews hosted by mainly by DJs Zane Lowe, Ebro Darden, and Julie Adenuga. Apple is also planning celebrity shows hosted by artists like Disclosure, Elton John, Pharrell Williams, and Josh Homme.

The iOS 8.4 update further includes a redesigned Music app, with improvements such as global search, new control gestures, and an app-wide MiniPlayer.

In addition, Apple also issued an update for its Beats Music app on Tuesday, enabling users of the outgoing service to easily migrate to its successor. The update is available to download on the iOS App Store.

Apple's future in the music business could to some degree hinge on the success of its new subscription service. While iTunes is still the world's most popular store for music downloads, the industry as a whole has been shifting towards streaming, and Apple risks losing further ground to streaming competitors like Google, Spotify, and Rdio.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 72
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Good day for this to come out as no one will be talking about Apple losing the e-book appeal.
  • Reply 2 of 72
    Anyone know how to import/transfer Spotify playlists to Apple Music? I believe you could do it with Beats but not sure how or If it's possible with Apple Music.
  • Reply 3 of 72
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member

There's an update to iTunes so all this is available on OSX? Haven't looked yet - mac is at home.

• Reply 4 of 72
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    Seems [S]10.4.4[/S] (oops too many 4s) 10.10.4 is out too!
  • Reply 5 of 72
    I hear the DJs and crew doing mic checks on Beats One. 45 minutes until launch. ;)
  • Reply 6 of 72
    Mine says it's 222MB download. AI's image has it at 218MB (which might be a beta download image). Took 15 mins from start to finish.
  • Reply 7 of 72
    Just upgrade iPhone 6 to iOS 8.4 and new Music app fired up - tiny wobble as the beta-labelled buttons popped up first for subscription (FUSE.* type labels), they faded and it returned with final set. Signed up for the Family deal and we're off. The For You screen looks interesting. My Music screens much better than old Music app.

Noticed that OS X 10.4.4 update popped up in App Store on MacBook - will install that shortly.
  • Reply 8 of 72
    Just a general comment. Apple just seems to be forgetting that people want to be out and about listening to Apple music. But streaming idk it might just make my [B]data[/B] plan [B]expensive[/B]. Not to mention I get a [B]monthly fee[/B] for the service. Love the idea. But the costing isn't great. Love to see telco company's on board for free streaming.
  • Reply 9 of 72
    Mine says it's 222MB download. AI's image has it at 218MB (which might be a beta download image). Took 15 mins from start to finish.

My iPhone was 218, iPad was 174. Varies on the device.
  • Reply 10 of 72
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Good day for this to come out as no one will be talking about Apple losing the e-book appeal.

So we can expect you'll have no comments on the e-book case then?

• Reply 11 of 72
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    elijahg wrote: »
    Seems 10.4.4 (oops too many 4s) 10.10.4 is out too!

astrofish wrote: »
    Noticed that OS X 10.4.4 update popped up in App Store

You did it too! :P
  • Reply 12 of 72
    I'm tuned in, amazing to hear all the tests going on.

I can say in 10 years time I was there at the very start. Very cool ????
  • Reply 13 of 72
    sevenfeetsevenfeet Posts: 465member

Still waiting for the 10.4.4 Combo update to hit the servers.  Nothing yet...

• Reply 14 of 72
    they also added audio books to the books app.
  • Reply 15 of 72
    So we can expect you'll have no comments on the e-book case then?

Wasn't being literal when I said no one. Media will be focused on Apple Music. Though Chris Christie kind of screwed it up as just as CNBC was about to talk about it he announced he's running for president. :lol:
  • Reply 16 of 72
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Elijahg View Post

You did it too! :P

Oops :embarrass :)

• Reply 17 of 72
    My iPhone was 218, iPad was 174. Varies on the device.

One thing I wish Apple would have done is when you first sign up for the service ask you if you're currently using another service and if you have any playlists you want to import. I hardly ever used iTunes and have very little paid iTunes music so some of its recommendations don't have much to go off of. My Spotify playlists are large. If there's not an easy way to import that might be a deal breaker for me. I don't want to have to recreate playlists that have thousands of songs in them.
  • Reply 18 of 72

Connect auto-adds bands/artists you follow - seems to look at Most Recent Played list for this as I have some odd suggestions. 

On For You I don't seem to be able to remove Genres I don't like by holding down on the relevant bubble.

In iOS 8.4 "Settings -> iTunes & App Store" there is no longer a reference to iTunes Match (i.e. being able to switch it on/off).

But all this music I now have access to !!!

• Reply 19 of 72
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

One thing I wish Apple would have done is when you first sign up for the service ask you if you're currently using another service and if you have any playlists you want to import. I hardly ever used iTunes and have very little paid iTunes music so some of its recommendations don't have much to go off of. My Spotify playlists are large. If there's not an easy way to import that might be a deal breaker for me. I don't want to have to recreate playlists that have thousands of songs in them.

Seems like an opportunity for a dev to make an app.

• Reply 20 of 72
    This is he slowest download off any recent iOS updates.. I wonder if this is the one people are actually updating instead of wait-and-seeing and the servers are taking a hit. :(