Apple's 24-hour Beats 1 radio station goes live in 100 countries with Spring King, Beck, Jamie xx

Comments

• Reply 21 of 66
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sflagel View Post

So, someone remind me, how is Beats 1 different from, say, BBC Radio 1?

No politically biassed news every hour.

• Reply 22 of 66

Upgraded 3 devices to iOS 8.4 in about 15 minutes. Got all signed up for Apple Music within about 16 minutes. Effortless! This service is awesome! Blows Spotify away

"I want my Apple Music!"

• Reply 23 of 66
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member

There's nothing wrong with Beats musical programming sounding similar to Radio 1, Radio 1 is musically one of the best stations going.

• Reply 24 of 66
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    slurpy wrote: »
    Yep, I would also like to know this list. I have a feeling it's a BS statement. 

It's not BS. Many of the songs he played in the first hour or I couldn't add to my library. I've stopped listening since so maybe he's playing mor stuff that is available now.
  • Reply 25 of 66
    rogifan wrote: »
    Appatently it's his thing to talk while the music is playing. But I do hope they tone down the "world wide. Always on." Showing up in the middle of songs.
    It wouldn't be radio if the DJs and bumpers didn't play over half the song LOL :lol:
  • Reply 26 of 66
    There's nothing wrong with Beats musical programming sounding similar to Radio 1, Radio 1 is musically one of the best stations going.

Haha, I have a feeling if Google or Samsung rolled out a live radio station that sounded just like BBC Radio 1 some people here would be knocking it as a ripoff. I'm not surprised it's similar to BBC Radio 1 since that's where Zane Lowe came from. But I have to laugh at some of the comments in my Twitter feed claiming Apple has reinvented radio. Really? Mimicking Radio 1 is reinventing radio? I can go to TuneIn right now and listen to Radio 1 whenever I want, 24/7.
  • Reply 27 of 66
    sflagelsflagel Posts: 805member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

I wonder if the BBC will sue Apple for copying the format...... /s

• Reply 28 of 66
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Haha, I have a feeling if Google or Samsung rolled out a live radio station that sounded just like BBC Radio 1 some people here would be knocking it as a ripoff. I'm not surprised it's similar to BBC Radio 1 since that's where Zane Lowe came from. But I have to laugh at some of the comments in my Twitter feed claiming Apple has reinvented radio. Really? Mimicking Radio 1 is reinventing radio? I can go to TuneIn right now and listen to Radio 1 whenever I want, 24/7.

Exactly, they could have bought Radio 1 for, say, $ 3 Bn. But I am glad they didn't.

• Reply 29 of 66
    trydtryd Posts: 143member

Is there anything here that might interest a classical music nut like me? Operas? Chamber music? Renaissance? Monteverdi, Palestrina, Mozart; Schubert, Stravinsky, Shostakovich...?

• Reply 30 of 66
    Quote:

I will love Apple Music subscription service. I do not understand why the media jumped on the wagon to promote internet radio station number 34,546. Which will try to be like Radio 1, but won't be. Unless they broadcast from the UK.

• Reply 31 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tryd View Post

Is there anything here that might interest a classical music nut like me? Operas? Chamber music? Renaissance? Monteverdi, Palestrina, Mozart; Schubert, Stravinsky, Shostakovich...?

For premade radio stations there is one "Classical" station. As for the Music service I would say so, I just did a brief check and found Mozart, Debussy, Stravinsky, Vaughn Williams, etc. (so glad they have the Neville Marriner version of The Lark Ascending)

• Reply 32 of 66
    trydtryd Posts: 143member

Great - I might try it then. But with 10 000 CDs of classical music, all ripped til ALAC already on my system, I probably have a better selection locally anyway.

BTW: The best Lark ascending is Hugh Bean/Adrian Boult on EMI (1967) :)

• Reply 33 of 66
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tryd View Post

Great - I might try it then. But with 10 000 CDs of classical music, all ripped til ALAC already on my system, I probably have a better selection locally anyway.

BTW: The best Lark ascending is Hugh Bean/Adrian Boult on EMI (1967) :)

I'll have to try it, thanks. I'm afraid the Marriner/Brown version is the first one I heard though, so it may always be my best love.

• Reply 34 of 66
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member

Getting an 'unable to start station' on everything except BBC news. 

• Reply 35 of 66
    jozsoojozsoo Posts: 39member

Odd that although Apple Music works fine in Hungary, there is no Beats 1 in the app. Anyone know where one can find the list of those 100 countries?

• Reply 36 of 66
    creek0512creek0512 Posts: 111member

I've been curious which countries are included in the over 100 countries worldwide for Beats 1, but I have been unable to find a list anywhere.  Has anyone seen a list of the countries?

• Reply 37 of 66
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    Quote:

Who said Apple reinvented radio?  Maybe improved upon it, I don't know as I haven't checked it out out.   To me it sounds like what any FM Music Radio station is, other then this is world wide in 100 countries LIVE 24/7.   These other music streaming services are in far less countries!!!   You Fandroids just throw out a lot of garbage no one is saying other then other fandroids.  At times it's quite laughable.

• Reply 38 of 66
    werno1werno1 Posts: 1member
    WORDLWIDE is not 100 countries!!! I'm living outside those 100 and feeling so disappointed.
  • Reply 39 of 66
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    rogifan wrote: »

It's pretty hard to change that format. DJ talks, plays music, interviews guests.

Beats is just a start and if works they'll have localised radio stations, genre stations and so on. The idea is that if you like a song you can add it to a playlist.

Zane's stuff isn't always available to stream but I suppose they can't really limit.

Excellent work by Apple, try out Siri integration everybody. Compared to the abortion that was iTunes Radio this is utterly brilliant.
  • Reply 40 of 66
    jbdragon wrote: »
    Who said Apple reinvented radio?  Maybe improved upon it, I don't know as I haven't checked it out out.   To me it sounds like what any FM Music Radio station is, other then this is world wide in 100 countries LIVE 24/7.   These other music streaming services are in far less countries!!!   You Fandroids just throw out a lot of garbage no one is saying other then other fandroids.  At times it's quite laughable.

Wait somebody that only owns iOS devices is a fandroid? How does that work? And yes I am seeing posts in my Twitter feed slobbering all over Beats Radio as if Apple reinvented radio.