Apple Music comes to Mac and PC with iTunes 12.2

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited July 2015
Following the release of iOS 8.4 earlier on Tuesday, Apple pushed out the latest version of iTunes with support for the company's Apple Music streaming service, bringing including Beats 1 radio, Apple Music Connect, Apple Music Radio and more to Mac.

The iTunes update comes just hours after Apple Music launched on iOS to much fanfare, mostly centered around the debut of Beats 1 radio. Unlike other streaming services, Apple Music is bringing back a live 24/7 radio format led by DJ Zane Lowe.

Apple Music in iTunes comes with the same features introduced earlier today on iOS, including human curated playlists, enhanced song discovery tools and access to the Apple Music Connect social network for artists.

From the release notes:
This update includes:

For You. Get playlist and album recommendations you'll love, selected just for you based on your musical tastes. The more you listen, the better For You gets.

New. Discover the best new music, handpicked by our music editors. Explore mixes created just for activities like exercising, or find great handcrafted playlists in a wide variety of genres. With Apple Music, you'll always have the perfect soundtrack for any occasion.

Connect. A single place to connect with your favorite artists. See thoughts, photos, music, and videos shared from your favorite artists. You can comment on or love anything an artist has posted, and the artist can respond to you directly.

Beats 1. Tune in to Beats 1, broadcast live from cities around the globe. Enjoy music, interviews, exclusive radio shows, and the best of what's going on in the world of music. Beats 1 -- worldwide and always on.

Apple Music Radio. Radio has been completely redesigned. Play from Featured Stations, where our music experts hand select every song you hear. Or, start a new station from any artist or song. In addition, it's now easy to quickly return to your favorite stations with Recently Played.

My Music. Find all your music in one place, including iTunes purchases, music you've imported from CD, and now songs from Apple Music.

iTunes Store. The iTunes Store is still the best place to buy your favorite music -- one song or album at a time.
As always, users can find the update through the Mac App Store and Mac's Software Uodate mechanism.

Apple is giving prospective subscribers a taste of what Apple Music has to offer with three months of free access. Following the trial period, monthly rates start at $9.99 for single users and $14.99 for families up to six.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 42
    grantmcgrantmc Posts: 2member
    iTunes 12.2 is definitely NOT out for PC yet.
  • Reply 2 of 42
    paulrpaulr Posts: 1member

i have a few duplicate playlists in iTunes now? the preset ones, like my top rated and recently added

• Reply 3 of 42

Mac master race :)

• Reply 4 of 42
    Cue the complaints about every pet peeve about iTunes not being fixed. Doomed.
  • Reply 5 of 42
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Great update, everything is so well implemented. Really puts the focus of music back in iTunes. Also, I think Connect is gonna be pretty huge and a successful platform.
  • Reply 6 of 42
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

...but they want perfection, now.  After all, it is a perfect world and only Apple is flawed, right?

• Reply 7 of 42

Odd because my iTunes still shows 12.1.2.27 after updating everything.

• Reply 8 of 42
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

There are more people with serious OCD issues than you might think and they all post. The entire process went flawlessly for me. iPhone 6 updated to iOS 8.4 in under 30 minutes, signed up for Apple Music without issue, iMac updated to Yosemite 10.10.4 in under 45 minutes, updated to iTunes 12.2 without issue. Apple Music works fine on both the iPhone 6 and the iMac. It has been an almost perfect launch of a HUGE project, probably the best I’ve experienced. Predictions about overloaded servers proved nonsense, no delays, no slowdowns. Apple had their shit together on this one.

• Reply 9 of 42
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Go Faster View Post

Odd because my iTunes still shows 12.1.2.27 after updating everything.

It doesn’t happen by itself. iTunes->Check for updates or launch App Store. The new iTunes 12.2 does NOT install with the Yosemite 10.10.4 update.

• Reply 10 of 42
    It is bundled with the new Yosemite update tonight. I updated my Macbook Pro tonight and iTunes was included. It was not included earlier in the day as others have pointed out.
  • Reply 11 of 42
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    Quote:

Well, just to be clear. Until today I had a perfectly organized iTunes Library. All metadata, covers, etc. 100% in order.

Below a picture of 12.2's greatness (be warned, approx. 80% of my over 4000 albums are messed up like this now):

• Reply 12 of 42
    sevenfeetsevenfeet Posts: 465member
    No Apple TV update yet...
  • Reply 13 of 42
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    This appears on Apple.com after you click on the link to Apple Music:

[IMG]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/60547/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

How can anyone read that white type on a light colored background? Or is it just me?
  • Reply 14 of 42

This fall...

• Reply 15 of 42

That sucks!  iTunes suspiciously seems to really mess up any music that wasn't purchased through itself :\

• Reply 16 of 42
    mechanicmechanic Posts: 805member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

There are more people with serious OCD issues than you might think and they all post. The entire process went flawlessly for me. iPhone 6 updated to iOS 8.4 in under 30 minutes, signed up for Apple Music without issue, iMac updated to Yosemite 10.10.4 in under 45 minutes, updated to iTunes 12.2 without issue. Apple Music works fine on both the iPhone 6 and the iMac. It has been an almost perfect launch of a HUGE project, probably the best I’ve experienced. Predictions about overloaded servers proved nonsense, no delays, no slowdowns. Apple had their shit together on this one.

I would have to agree with you on this one, It went flawlessly for me too.  I am really enjoying the curated lists too.  Way to go Apple!

• Reply 17 of 42
    crimguycrimguy Posts: 124member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Goldfinger View Post

That sucks!  iTunes suspiciously seems to really mess up any music that wasn't purchased through itself :\

I thought it was just me.  I could've sworn I bought Mothership Connection through iTunes but they are saying not authorized.

I really love what they're trying to do, but my one problem is that it's not figuring out a lot of the music on my computer because of reorganized (I say improved) tags.  So about 1/2 of my library shows up on my iPhone but unplayable.  Is there an option to not show music it doesn't recognize on iOS via iCloud?

• Reply 18 of 42

I'm digging this, I was stoked when I discovered the Bad Religion and Dependents catalog.   Holy hell it goes all the way back to How Could Hell Be Any Worse, yes very stoked. 

• Reply 19 of 42
    I've heard it's pretty good. I'm sure the people who are outliers will complain mightily.
  • Reply 20 of 42

Saw a lot of people complaining about how their music libraries are being corrupted after they update either iOS 8.4 or iTunes 12.2 (songs being randomly renamed and placed randomly under different albums/artists, etc.).  So much so that I decided I would not upgrade either for now.   HOWEVER, while I am still on 8.3 on all of my iOS devices and Yosemite (10.10.3)/iTunes (12.1.12.27) on my iMac, the iMac library is fine, but I have notice over the last two days that my iOS devices are all screwed up (AGAIN, I have not even upgraded anything). For example, I noticed a Kenny Loggins song disappeared from the Kenny Loggins album, but the song is still on my iPhone, but under Marilyn Manson! I now have hundreds of errors like this. I do use and have been using iTunes Match since its inception, but everything was fine until late yesterday afternoon (even before they rolled out Apple Music!).   I have seen dozens of similar complaints here and at MacRumors by people who have upgraded, but I HAVE DONE NOTHING AND NOW MOST OF THE 4,000 SONGS ON MY IOS DEVICES ARE NOW EFFED UP!