Apple adds TRIM support for aftermarket SSDs in OS X 10.10.4

Posted:
in macOS edited October 2015
Some four years after adding TRIM support for first-party solid state drives to OS X, Apple incorporated the command for aftermarket drives as part of Tuesday's OS X 10.10.4 update.

Spotted by AppleInsider readers, the new capability allows users to enable TRIM functionality on third-party SSDs without resorting to unsanctioned workarounds or software. Prior to the change, Apple only supported TRIM on original Mac SSDs.

Enabling TRIM for non-OEM drives requires the trimforce command be entered into Terminal, specifically, sudo trimforce enable. The system throws up a message warning users of potential incompatibility with certain SSDs before performing a reboot operation.

ArsTechnica reported on OS X TRIM functionality earlier on Tuesday.

Part of the ATA standard, TRIM helps optimize garbage data handling in SSDs by earmarking files no longer in use for permanent deletion. Unlike conventional spinning hard drives, SSDs perform erase operations before writing new files, meaning multiple erase/write operations could create a backlog of garbage bits that gradually slow the system down.

TRIM support for OEM drives first appeared in a beta for OS X 10.7 Lion in 2011.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 53
    About time! Maybe this is a sign that Apple's finally going to start allowing user-replaceable parts again (I can dream, can't I?)
  • Reply 2 of 53
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    About time! Maybe this is a sign that Apple's finally going to start allowing user-replaceable parts again (I can dream, can't I?)

Yep, I can definitely see Apple bulking up the next revisions of their machines, adding complexity and thickness, in order to allow "user replaceable" parts. Totally happening.
  • Reply 3 of 53
    konqerrorkonqerror Posts: 685member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Durandal1707 View Post

I think a big reason for this change is external Thunderbolt drive arrays using SSDs, especially for the Mac Pro. They appear to the system the same as an internal SATA adapter card and drive.

• Reply 4 of 53
    slurpy wrote: »
    Yep, I can definitely see Apple bulking up the next revisions of their machines, adding complexity and thickness, in order to allow "user replaceable" parts. Totally happening.
    Technically, the SSDs on Apple's laptops could be swapped out right now, because they're on a slot. It's just a completely non-standard slot, which means there aren't any third party drives out there for you to buy (other than OWC's crappy SandForce-based ones).
  • Reply 5 of 53
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Even Ubuntu will only run trim on Intel and Samsung SSDs by default. The trim implementations on many of the SSDs out there is poorly implemented it seems.

• Reply 6 of 53
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    I never bothered with enabling TRIM on my MBP with Crucial M4 SSD since the drive comes with built in garbage collection.
  • Reply 7 of 53
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member

It's probably a reflection of how a vertically integrated hardware maker prioritized things. But yes, with aftermarket SSDs a popular upgrade option for older MacBooks, Minis, and iMacs, this is welcome news.
  • Reply 8 of 53
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Ha. Just turned on TRIM before the update via a software patch. Upgraded my 500GB HDD to a Samsung Evo SSD.
  • Reply 9 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Ha. Just turned on TRIM before the update via a software patch. Upgraded my 500GB HDD to a Samsung Evo SSD.

I hope this is not your case case but according to a comment from Ars Technica (http://arstechnica.com/apple/2015/06/latest-os-x-update-allows-you-to-enable-trim-for-third-party-ssds/):

Quote:

HEED THE DATA LOSS WARNING!

There are a number of extremely buggy SSD models out there (like almost all the Samsung 8* and various Crucial models) that will permanently delete the wrong data when issuing TRIM commands.

The bug is not dependent on queued TRIM, it happens even when using the non-queued version.

All the Samsung SSDs beginning with a "8" (840 and 850, both EVO and Pro) are known to have the data-destroying TRIM bug and TRIM is blacklisted on those drives on other platforms.

But maybe that warning is just valid for Linux (if you follow the link in the comment, that's all they talk about).

• Reply 10 of 53
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    danielagos wrote: »
    I hope this is not your case case but according to a comment from Ars Technica (http://arstechnica.com/apple/2015/06/latest-os-x-update-allows-you-to-enable-trim-for-third-party-ssds/):
    But maybe that warning is just valid for Linux (if you follow the link in the comment, that's all they talk about).

Wow, thanks for that, really. After treading looks like more of an enterprise problem due to different file systems. Shouldn't affect me, I don't think.
  • Reply 11 of 53
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Just enabled TRIM on my old MBP 15" i7 mid 2010 I use for casual web and mail only these days which has a Samsung 830 Series SSD. Everything went smoothly.

SAMSUNG SSD 830 Series:

Capacity: 256.06 GB (256,060,514,304 bytes)
    Model: SAMSUNG SSD 830 Series
    Revision: CXM03B1Q
    Serial Number: S0XZNEAC600425
    Native Command Queuing: Yes
    Queue Depth: 32
    Removable Media: No
    Detachable Drive: No
    BSD Name: disk0
    Medium Type: Solid State
    TRIM Support: Yes
    Partition Map Type: GPT (GUID Partition Table)
    S.M.A.R.T. status: Verified
  • Reply 12 of 53
    nasserae wrote: »
    I never bothered with enabling TRIM on my MBP with Crucial M4 SSD since the drive comes with built in garbage collection.

Same here. Why fix something that is not broken? Have been using my crucial SSD for 18 months now without any noticable slowdown or otherwise inexplicable data loss.
  • Reply 13 of 53
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    nasserae wrote: »

Same here. Why fix something that is not broken? Have been using my crucial SSD for 18 months now without any noticable slowdown or otherwise inexplicable data loss.

It's not broken but it doesn't work. Garbage collection only works when the controller built into the SSD understands the file system. And I don't know of any that understand HFS. The TRIM command is sent from the OS which knows what blocks have been freed.
  • Reply 14 of 53
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Elijahg View Post

It's not broken but it doesn't work. Garbage collection only works when the controller built into the SSD understands the file system. And I don't know of any that understand HFS. The TRIM command is sent from the OS which knows what blocks have been freed.

Yep. Without TRIM the garbage collector will be diligently moving and compacting blocks that aren't even in use any more.

• Reply 15 of 53
    hodarhodar Posts: 357member
    Created a Fusion Drive on my Mac Mini using a Samsung SDD. Have been using the Trim Enabler ever since Lion. Did the update last night, opened up a Terminal Session, and typed "sudo forcetrim enable"

Got the warning, hit the "y" button. Told that it was successful and that the machine would reboot, hit the "y" button again. Waited ... after awhile I just rebooted myself.

Got the pop-up that Trim Enabler wasn't turned on, but upon opening it, it said that it wasn't necessary as the Apple Trim Enable was working. So, in short - it works on yesterday's release.
  • Reply 16 of 53
    hodarhodar Posts: 357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by danielagos View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Quote:

HEED THE DATA LOSS WARNING!

There are a number of extremely buggy SSD models out there (like almost all the Samsung 8* and various Crucial models) that will permanently delete the wrong data when issuing TRIM commands.

The bug is not dependent on queued TRIM, it happens even when using the non-queued version.

All the Samsung SSDs beginning with a "8" (840 and 850, both EVO and Pro) are known to have the data-destroying TRIM bug and TRIM is blacklisted on those drives on other platforms.

Could you source this problem?
    According to Xbitlabs this problem doesn't exist on Samsung 840 EVO SDD's as you mention. This is dated 3/10/2014
  • Reply 17 of 53
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Durandal1707 View Post

Why bother with Apple then? Just head over to Microcenter or Fry’s, buy a bunch of cheap parts off the shelf and assemble your own beige box and run Ubuntu. Who cares about design aesthetics, how things look, fit and finish, screws all over the place, stamped sheet metal cases, and multi-colored LEDs twinkling inside, weird decals, etc?

• Reply 18 of 53
    lkrupp wrote: »

Why bother with Apple then? Just head over to Microcenter or Fry’s, buy a bunch of cheap parts off the shelf and assemble your own beige box and run Ubuntu. Who cares about design aesthetics, how things look, fit and finish, screws all over the place, stamped sheet metal cases, and multi-colored LEDs twinkling inside, weird decals, etc?
    Because OS X makes Ubuntu look like garbage.
  • Reply 19 of 53
    thebumthebum Posts: 58member
    I have a pre-EVO Samsung 840 500GB drive in my MBP and prior to Yosemite, I ran the TRIM Enable hack without any data loss. It quit working in Yosemite because of the signing of system files that was added.
  • Reply 20 of 53
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Just make sure you aren't using a Samsung 8xx series drive when enabling trim. All of those will lose data from trim at some point. There are some other drives that will have this problem as well.

https://blog.algolia.com/when-solid-state-drives-are-not-that-solid/