Apple issues third betas of iOS 9, Watch OS 2 & OS X 10.11 El Capitan to developers

Posted:
in General Discussion edited July 2015
Testing of Apple's next-generation software platforms continues to move along, as developers on Wednesday were provided with the third beta releases of iOS 9, WatchOS 2 and OS X 10.11 El Capitan, ahead of their anticipated release this fall.

All three beta releases are now available to download through Apple's developer portal. The pre-release software is intended for testing only, and should not be installed on machines required for daily use.

The latest beta build of El Capitan is identified as 15A216g, iOS 9 is build 13A4293f, and WatchOS 2 is 13S5293e.

A number of known issues remain with the pre-release software. In iOS 9, AirPlay continues to be unreliable when sending audio or video to an Apple TV. Authentication is also an issue, as users could be prompted twice for credentials when making their first in-app purchase and might not be able to reset their Apple ID password using iForgot.

Issues in the Bluetooth stack can cause some Bluetooth headsets to be unable to receive calls, while turning off a vehicle that still has an iOS device connected to a CarPlay head unit could cause the device to become completely unresponsive.

Family Sharing --?which was removed in iOS 8.4 and will return with iOS 9 --?remains a work in progress, as does HomeKit. Apple also continues to warn beta testers to create an encrypted backup as the HealthKit database could be inadvertently deleted during an update.

Other areas with issues that have carried over from the previous beta include iCloud Drive, Keyboards, Keychain, Maps, Mail, MDM, Music, Photos, Podcasts, Safari, Search, Siri, Settings and the VPN.

As for El Capitan, a number of known issues related to two-factor authentication are detailed by Apple in the software's release notes. Apple also recommends that developers do not update directly from OS X Lion or earlier to OS X 10.11.

Issues also remain in Mail, where Time Machine backups may not restore properly, and email received before the first beta won't work with Proactive Assistant features.

Finally, Apple has also warned developers that upgrades of existing iPhoto and Aperture libraries to the new Photos app will not success in El Capitan beta 3. There are also issues where the Photos app might prevent sleep, and addresses may not be visible when ordering print products.

Apple does not issue release notes for watchOS releases, so what changes have come in the third beta of watchOS 2 remain unknown.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Oh joy ... it is always like Christmas for me when these updates get released ... :)

First Carbon Copy Cloner ... back up SSD to sparseimage ...
  • Reply 2 of 15
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Where's the Xcode 7.0 Beta 3?????
  • Reply 3 of 15
    Visit CrazyUDiD.com! Register your device and get access to the iOS 9's brand new features!
    We are also giving away 2 Apple Watches and other prizes, don't lose this opportunity!
  • Reply 4 of 15
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

I still think Apple should go with a rounded rectangle for OS X for differentiation.

Oh, I never told anyone. Right...

• Reply 5 of 15

Think 'Different'

• Reply 6 of 15
  • Reply 7 of 15
  • Reply 8 of 15

hello 

sir how are you sir i have know any idea for this idea for this i am helpless you contact to me next time i am giving a link to you this link is helpfull you

thanks to contact me 

thanks

[url=http://www.rjavatutorial.tk] java tutorial [/url]

• Reply 9 of 15
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,007member
    I know its a joke to post "feels snappy..." But....it does!
  • Reply 10 of 15

hello 

sir how are you sir i have know any idea for this idea for this i am helpless you contact to me next time i am giving a link to you this link is helpfull you

thanks to contact me 

thanks

• Reply 11 of 15
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    OK, I'm downloading Xcode 7 beta 3 ...

Now, Apple should do something to help show a path for Greece -- something between imposing grinding austerity and promoting a welfare state.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    OK, I'm downloading Xcode 7 beta 3 ...

Now, Apple should do something to help show a path for Greece -- something between imposing grinding austerity and promoting a welfare state.

I already suggested Apple and Disney partner and buy Greece and make the country into Disney Land II and get the tourism really cranking. Joking apart I didn't realize the entire population of Greece is about the same as Miami till today.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    thrang wrote: »
    I know its a joke to post "feels snappy..." But....it does!

That is because it is snappy! I'm actually shocked at how good Mac OS is in this beta, feels snappy compared to Yosemite on relatively new hardware.

IOS (on an iPad 3) is a different story though. To many crashes and restarts right now, I'm hoping this beta firms up significantly. On the iPad it is a mixed bag with things often far faster and then areas of regression. It really looks like iOS has a greater distance to go that Mac OS for release.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    I already suggested Apple and Disney partner and buy Greece and make the country into Disney Land II and get the tourism really cranking. Joking apart I didn't realize the entire population of Greece is about the same as Miami till today.

Unfortunately that is like painting a bulls eye on the side of a building. Attractions that bring large numbers of innocent civilians are like candy to a three year old, just what the suicide bombing culture would love to see.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    rezwitsrezwits Posts: 878member
    beta 2 was eh, beta 3 is nice and tight, I guess we need to think about odd only :P