Apple invents continuous handwriting input method, magnetically linkable earphones

Posted:
in General Discussion edited July 2015
A pair of Apple patent filings published Thursday reveal ongoing work on perfecting the mobile computing experience, including an intuitive continuous handwriting recognition system and a pair of earphones that snap together magnetically for easy stowage.

Source: USPTO

Apple's "Continuous Handwriting UI," as published by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, details a novel handwriting recognition and input method that appears custom built for business professionals and students.

While existing handwriting input methods exist, including limited language-centric tools built in to iOS, most apply unintuitive interfaces that interrupt a user's normal writing rhythm. The root of the problem lies in timing, specifically when a UI should clear a handwriting input area of previously entered text.

Apple's invention describes a designated handwriting input area that allows users to write continuously without stopping, just as they would with paper and pencil. In one embodiment, the system automatically recognizes and clears handwriting dynamically, while another method partially fades previously entered text as a user writes. Thus the user can return to the left-most (or right-most, depending on language) and start writing on a fresh piece of screen.

Instead of clearing or erasing an input area based solely on a timer, Apple's solution relies on the location of subsequent user input. For example, the system might clear or partially fade a character when a user writes out three subsequent letters, or when writing reaches a predefined point relative to the first written character.

Other embodiments include virtual keys responsible for character deletion, re-display and other input needs. Apple notes a finger or stylus can be used as an input device, suggesting continued work toward a branded writing implement. In January, well-connected analyst Ming-Chi Kuo predicted Apple would launch a simple stylus product for use with a an expected 12.9-inch iPad, a rumor seconded by an AppleInsider source in May.

Apple's continuous handwriting input patent application was first filed for in September 2014 and credits Deborah E. Goldsmith and Karan Misra as its inventors.

Also published Thursday, Apple's application for "Earphones with left/right magnetic asymmetry" describes a design that secures left and right earbuds via magnetic attraction for easy storage. Additionally, touch sensors disposed within the product chassis determine when the buds are in contact, automatically turning off any audio processing operations being conducted on the host device.

Since earphones rely on magnetic forces to operate, commonly a voice coil and permanent magnet setup, joining two separate earbuds using existing internal magnet structures sounds like a simple operation. However, for purposes of audio uniformity and continuity of manufacturing, both left and right earbuds share internal designs, including magnet polarity and voice coil winding, making the invention difficult to implement.

Apple proposes an asymmetrical design in which left and right earbuds have opposite magnetic assembly polarities, causing them to attract. In order to achieve the same acoustic effect from an electric audio signal, each bud needs to react to an audio signal in the same way, meaning a few internal changes are required.

In one embodiment, positive and negative audio signals are connected to first and second voice coil terminals in one earbud. Terminal connections are switched in the second earbud to reverse voice coil current, allowing the magnetically opposed systems to react identically to the same audio signal. Alternatively, voice coil winding can be reversed in one earbud while leaving terminal connections untouched to achieve the same result.

Finally, a touch detector built in to one or both earbuds sends a signal to a host device's onboard audio processor when it determines a user to have joined the pair for storage. In response, the device can shut down processing, cut off power to audio amplifiers or perform other operations.

Apple's magnetically joinable earphone patent application was first filed for in January 2014 and credits Yacine Azmi and Esge B. Andersen as its inventors.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,032member
    The author is correct. Existing handwriting input methods do exist,
  • Reply 2 of 21
    thewhitefalconthewhitefalcon Posts: 4,453member
    That is not really correct. You can continuously handwrite on the Newton devices. With the 1.x series the CPU takes a bit to catch up, but the StrongARM in the 2x00 series handles it much better.

However, much of the Newton patents are expiring, so my guess is this is a slight tweak to re-ensure protection.
  • Reply 3 of 21
    am8449am8449 Posts: 392member

Handwriting input is so 1990s.

Haven't we come to the conclusion that typing on a mobile device is more efficient and faster than handwriting input?

• Reply 4 of 21
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    am8449 wrote: »

Haven't we come to the conclusion that typing on a mobile device is more efficient and faster than handwriting input?

Heck handwriting is so 1990's lol, I can hardly do it anymore!
  • Reply 5 of 21
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Haha. Have you tried writing cursive lately? I get so lost in all the loops...

• Reply 6 of 21
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    Any elegant method to stow earbuds and their cords to reduce cable mess is welcome. It seems that mine have a mind of their own -- any time that I want them coiled or stored they are splayed out. When I want to use them they are a tangled mess. They are always in the opposite condition that I want!

Can anyone comment on the psychoacoustics with headphones/earphones/earbuds and state whether phase is important for them or not? I know that having regular speakers 180 degrees out of phase due to reversed polarity is a very common problem (often because of incorrect cable connections by the owner) and will result in reduction of low frequencies.
  • Reply 7 of 21
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    linkman wrote: »
    Any elegant method to stow earbuds and their cords to reduce cable mess is welcome. It seems that mine have a mind of their own -- any time that I want them coiled or stored they are splayed out. When I want to use them they are a tangled mess. They are always in the opposite condition that I want!

Can anyone comment on the psychoacoustics with headphones/earphones/earbuds and state whether phase is important for them or not? I know that having regular speakers 180 degrees out of phase due to reversed polarity is a very common problem (often because of incorrect cable connections by the owner) and will result in reduction of low frequencies.
    I've had a set of "Earphones with left/right magnetic asymmetry" for a few years now. That's not at all new nor unique. What may be unique in Apple's patent is turning them off when they are docked together. Nice added touch.

EDIT: These aren't the ones I purchased but they are similar.
    http://www.amazon.com/Amazon-KA416Y-Premium-Headphones/dp/B00HX0SRXW/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8
  • Reply 8 of 21
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by am8449 View Post

Because it is a US patent the figures show standard ascii characters but the actual purpose for recognizing handwriting is for Chinese based languages which have thousands of characters that can be drawn faster than they can be found shuffling through numerous keyboards.

The future of course will be dictation once it gets a little bit more accurate.

• Reply 9 of 21
    markbvtmarkbvt Posts: 9member
    As others have pointed out, this article basically describes the handwriting recognition that was built into the Newton MessagePad 20 years ago. It may be remembered for not working well at first, but the HWR in the MessagePad 2000 and 2100 was outstanding.

And as it happens, Apple repurposed it a number of years ago as Inkwell in OS X. They never did much with it though.

I can only assume that thewhitefalcon is correct about this being essentially a patent renewal.
  • Reply 10 of 21
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,945member
    Quote:

Cursive was one of the dumbest things ever foisted on the children of the American "education" system.

• Reply 11 of 21
    am8449 wrote: »

Seriously, it's a form of self torture now. To think I wrote screeds of pages in exams with only hand cramp to worry about, now I'd be hard pressed to write my name!

Of course my typing will be going soon as I dictate more and more to Siri! My biggest fear these days is an EMP! :D
  • Reply 12 of 21
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member

The only hand writing I actually use at work is my signature and date.

• Reply 13 of 21
    fallenjt wrote: »
    The only hand writing I actually use at work is my signature and date.

I'm even starting to find those hard to do! I have my signature in Preview now and can add it easily with a click as everything I get these days is a PDF or in seconds after receiving paper thanks to my SnapScan.
  • Reply 14 of 21
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,239member
    Years ago, I had earbuds that snapped together magnetically for storage, so this is definitely not a new idea. And the rubber they used for the cords resisted tangling, unlike Apple's earbuds. That said, I had a habit of chewing on the cord and accidentally split open the rubber to expose the wires inside. So much for those earbuds after that! :)
  • Reply 15 of 21
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,239member
    Quote:

Seriously, it's a form of self torture now. To think I wrote screeds of pages in exams with only hand cramp to worry about, now I'd be hard pressed to write my name!

Of course my typing will be going soon as I dictate more and more to Siri! My biggest fear these days is an EMP! image

Haha, ya! Writing out cheques (checks, for those of you below the border), I find myself so confused by the loops. It feels like my hand is a foreign object attached to my body, and I don't know how to operate it! :P

• Reply 16 of 21
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

It is, but voice dictation is even faster...and pretty accurate these days.

• Reply 17 of 21
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member

Quote:

Originally Posted by cornchip View Post

Cursive was one of the dumbest things ever foisted on the children of the American "education" system.

Please do some research on that before posting....just a bit of mine is below...

http://time.com/2820780/five-reasons-kids-should-still-learn-cursive-writing/

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/03/science/whats-lost-as-handwriting-fades.html?_r=0

"But psychologists and neuroscientists say it is far too soon to declare handwriting a relic of the past. New evidence suggests that the links between handwriting and broader educational development run deep."

http://www.wpr.org/research-highlights-benefits-teaching-cursive-handwriting

http://www.ajc.com/weblogs/get-schooled/2013/sep/16/study-learning-cursive-first-grade-helps-students/

• Reply 18 of 21
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member
    Quote:

Quote:

What I find amazing is that they don't even teach cursive in the public schools (here anyway). In elementary school they teach them this so-called pre-cursive, which is just printing with little curl connectors and a few loops on stems. It is not nearly as readable as straight printing is, in my opinion did nothing to help with cursive and was basically a waste of time and effort. Almost all the kids have abandoned traditional cursive and since they were never truly taught to print they end up using their own hybrid mixture of a quasi-print cursive where syllables or more often character pairs are split when it takes more effort (strokes) to group it together.

I haven't used cursive since 7th grade when I took my first drafting class (part of general shop) -- I instead concentrated on lettering so that I could develop a 'professional' lettering skill. It seldom matters anymore (especially since I no longer practice civil engineering or surveying) where almost all drafting is done using Autocad or one of it's wannabes; more efficient if you set up a good process for plans/plats but not the individual works of art that were turned out till the 80's.

• Reply 19 of 21
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

What I find amazing is that they don't even teach cursive in the public schools (here anyway). In elementary school they teach them this so-called pre-cursive, which is just printing with little curl connectors and a few loops on stems. It is not nearly as readable as straight printing is, in my opinion did nothing to help with cursive and was basically a waste of time and effort. Almost all the kids have abandoned traditional cursive and since they were never truly taught to print they end up using their own hybrid mixture of a quasi-print cursive where syllables or more often character pairs are split when it takes more effort (strokes) to group it together.

Interesting. I wonder if in the not so distant future, cursive will be become almost a lost art, with just a handful of private teachers keeping it alive. Could be a 

• Reply 20 of 21
    h2ph2p Posts: 329member
    Quote:

Interesting. I wonder if in the not so distant future, cursive will be become almost a lost art...

I believe that day is here. In the Zimmerman (Trayvon Martin) trial, the prosecutions' star witness testified that "I don't understand um, cursive. I don't read cursive" regarding a letter that she claimed to "write" about the incident. Granted she is pretty young, at under 20, I believe.  (1:47 video & story: http://abcnews.go.com/US/george-zimmerman-witness-threw-punch/story?id=19504826)

I'm in my 50's and use a hybrid in my work as a designer. For other writing (book or short story) it's easier for me to do it long hand using cursive. I keep telling myself I'll just go to OS X build-in dictation...

Is it possible that cursive was rarely taught if you were in grade school in the 90's?