Samsung said to debut Galaxy Note 5 in mid-August in race to beat 'iPhone 6s' publicity

Posted:
in iPhone edited July 2015
Samsung is planning to move up the announcement of its next-generation Galaxy Note phone to mid-August in an attempt to preempt the publicity of Apple's usual September iPhone refresh, a report said on Friday.

The Galaxy Note 4.
The Galaxy Note 4.

The company is hoping to avoid the situation it ran into last year, a source source told The Wall Street Journal. It introduced the 5.7-inch Galaxy Note 4 at the IFA Berlin conference in early September, but was upstaged only a few days later when Apple unveiled the 5.5-inch iPhone 6 Plus, its first-ever phablet.

Though the Note 4 announcement preceded the iPhone last year, Samsung's phablet did not actually get into the hands of consumers until after Apple's iPhone 6 Plus was already widely available around the world.

The new fifth-generation Note will premiere at a special event in the U.S., although the city has yet to be decided, the source said.

Samsung had traditonally timed phone announcements for large industry conferences, such as IFA Berlin or spring's Mobile World Congress in Barcelona. The Galaxy Note 5 could signal the company joining the likes of Apple, Google, and Microsoft, which prefer their own press events for major products.

For some time Apple would regularly show off new products at Macworld conferences, but stopped appearing after the January 2009 event, where it launched things like a 17-inch unibody MacBook Pro and DRM-free music on iTunes. The Cupertino, Calif., company has not participated in industry shows like CES or Mobile World Congress.

This fall, Apple is expected to make relatively modest updates to the iPhone lineup, keeping the same display sizes while boosting RAM, processing power, and camera quality. The only major addition is predicted to be Force Touch, which could expand the interface possibilities of iOS apps.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 44
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    I wonder if Sammy's special event will be sexist or poor taste?

Sammy Galaxy Note: look at me! I'm still here.
  • Reply 2 of 44
    Nothing would please me more than to see Apple take the wind out of Samsung’s sail by rebranding the iPad mini as the iPad Note.
  • Reply 3 of 44
    They'll release it, Samboys will complain it no longer has SD card or removable battery support, everyone else will wait for the 6S to compare, Note sales will tank, the world moves on.
  • Reply 4 of 44
    macvictamacvicta Posts: 346member
    I wish it was a "modest update" so my iPhone 6 wouldn't feel outdated. But the addition of Force Touch is anything but modest, especially on the iPhone 6 Plus. It will practically be a whole new phone. It might even have all that new stylus tech expected in the iPad Pro.
  • Reply 5 of 44
    How cute! They think they're Apple.
  • Reply 6 of 44
    schlackschlack Posts: 720member
    hmmm....new CPU/GPU; double RAM; force touch; new camera = modest updates. expectations are high ;)
  • Reply 7 of 44
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

I wonder if Sammy's special event will be sexist or poor taste?

Why not both?

They need to be the leader in something.

• Reply 8 of 44
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 757member
    Dear Samsung,

¯\_(?)_/¯

Sincerely,
    Apple
  • Reply 9 of 44
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    If history is any guide, Samsung has rushed to market with their high end phones with poor build quality and other major issues. If I am an android user than I would wait till iPhone 6S comes out to see before thinking/considering or impulsively buying Note 5.
  • Reply 10 of 44
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member

Hello foot... ouch... dang...

• Reply 11 of 44
    dachardachar Posts: 330member
    Good timing. Mid August is for many the peak holiday period when marketing impact will be at a low level as both the press and consumers will in large numbers have other things on thier minds and will miss most of what is likely to be low level publicity.
  • Reply 12 of 44
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Maybe Samsung's problem is that every single fucking product they release is on "a race" to beat one of Apple's products, or some other poorly reasoned timeline that has no bearing on releasing a quality, well thought-out product?

No, of course not. Keep doing what you're doing Samsung. Your cynicism, and contempt for customers is what will be your downfall. 

• Reply 13 of 44
    brakkenbrakken Posts: 687member
    Still don't know what race this is. Maybe if there was something here about htc ot MS...
  • Reply 14 of 44
    gsteenogsteeno Posts: 56member

One more thing....

Samsung Music will be announced.

• Reply 15 of 44
    gsteeno wrote: »
    One more thing....

Samsung Music will be announced.

Because Apple needs competition. Not Spotify.
  • Reply 16 of 44
    airnerdairnerd Posts: 693member
    "Hurry up, once they see what Apple has they won't want our junk anymore!"
  • Reply 17 of 44
    b9botb9bot Posts: 238member

Why does Samsung always think that being first to market will make there sales somehow better? This never works.

A crappy product will not sell well no matter if it is first or the last to market. Nobody wants to buy crap period.

• Reply 18 of 44
    poksipoksi Posts: 482member

That's become so pathetic, it's not even fun any more..... Bollocks, it's still funny: my condolences, Sammy :)

• Reply 19 of 44
    How cute! They think they're Apple.

No, they thin they're Palm. Palm thought they were smart hitting the market just before Apple was planning to announce a new phone. Only to see themselves not even be a speed bump as people surged to Apple. Palm didn't even last out the year before selling themselves to HP.

Like someone pointed out in this thread, August is a terrible time to announce a product in the USA... In addition, August is when all of Europe takes a vacation...
  • Reply 20 of 44
    b9bot wrote: »
    Why does Samsung always think that being first to market will make there sales somehow better? This never works.
    A crappy product will not sell well no matter if it is first or the last to market. Nobody wants to buy crap period.

But Samsung's me-first Galaxy Gear watches were somehow immune to the "my snooty jewelry watch > smartwatch" arguments used to bash the Apple Watch. I think people are really annoyed off by the thought of Apple succeeding, but they have no problem if Sammy or Pebble take a stab at a new market and fail.